THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Just heard it. Not impressed.

Sounds like something from late 90's/early 2000's GNR (Oh My God -ish) meandering too much and with absolutely horrible production.

Some good vocal and guitar parts, but not enough to put this in my GNR playlist.

Seems like he really put out the best songs on Chinese Democracy already and now it's just dripping and dropping the leftovers one by one because those motherfuckers just can't write a decent song anymore.

Will give it another chance when they do it in concert. But it looks like this is the aftermath. Someone over there needs to mop the floor, open the windows and put some flowers on the table.

Anyone getting excited over this must have real shitty taste in music.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

You know the vocals are mixed like shit when you can’t even make out half of the words to both songs. Just like Street of Dreams’ demo, or state of Grace, the last lines of the general are just Axl singing the melody, presumably waiting for the right lyrics to come to mind. Both songs just sound completely muffled, with no good structure. The only good part in both songs is really the rasp breakdown on Monsters, and even those vocals just sound a little weird. This fuckin sucks

There's like 1 or 2 lines in The General that are hard to understand, same with Monsters (basically just the deep vocal parts)

1 minute ago, OhMyGod1986 said:

heard both songs once. the general impressed me the first time. however, he will never be able to sing this live, maybe that's why a b-side?
where did monsters suddenly come from? it's not released on vinyl either.

Who cares ha, the 2nd half of monsters is fantastic...general, meh...very demo sounding 

Just now, mamundson said:

Sorry, didn’t even finish the songs. Not good.

From the band that brought you Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusions, the masters of blues based hard rock 😬 This sounds very…different, unique. If that’s what they were going for, great. Personally I think it’s a waste of what they’re best at. The bits I like are the hints at the old sound, end of Monsters in particular. In parts Axl sounds out of tune in his own song because the key/melody is just so weird. Weird!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

And yeah, this fits perfectly in with much of the Village leak material. The funk/rnb drums and multi vocal tracks reminds me of Eye On You, the ambient guitar reminds me of State of Grace.

I'm so pleased it fits in with the chinese era stuff, no offence to Slash, but I didn't like what he did with Hard Skool and Perhaps, he sounds great here though.

• Like 1