THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Wow. I'm really really loving Monsters. It has a sort of David Bowie feel and we can see Evader really nailed multiple bits of it. Amazing job :lol: I'm a bit underwhelmed by The General, but going to listen soon again.

The songs sound like they are really supposed to come one after the other, like a ""mini-suite"" (for lack of a better word). Now the question is: is the 7" going to include just The General or will they squeeze in Monsters too?

Did Bach make the longest bait in music history?

One of my favorite songs is this song called 'The General', which is so... it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. [...] [Axl] goes, 'Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.'" (Baz, Metal Edge, 11/06/07)

Edited by uruguns
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Wow. I'm really really loving Monsters. It has a sort of David Bowie feel and we can see Evader really nailed multiple bits of it. Amazing job :lol: I'm a bit underwhelmed by The General, but going to listen soon again.

The songs sound like they are really supposed to come one after the other, like a ""mini-suite"" (for lack of a better word). Now the question is: is the 7" going to include just The General or will they squeeze in Monsters too?

David Bowie / Floyd / Genesis feel

Monsters is great. There are lot of things to like, vocals, Slash, etc.

The General is weird to me, but growing on me. First listen I was like "wtf is this" but I'm getting into it...

This is a huge departure from classic GNR though... which might explain the delay. Nobody dared to release this as GNR 20 years ago, come on.

Would have been nice on an Axl solo album though. The songs on Chinese Democracy were the "safe" songs... this is my belief now.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

It's very late 90s Smashing Pumpkins. You can feel the age in the songs but they're alright.

Anyone have any rad artwork to use for the album cover? 

Ive always thought that The CD era sounded very much like the smashing pumpkins