The next Holy Grail

1 hour ago, fear the juggalo 1 said:

It's not

We don't know that. It's all speculation at this point, but I'd say, as of now, we have more reasons to believe it is than to believe it's not. It's a song that mentions both soul and monster, it has the Beltrami orchestra and it fits Axl's description perfectly: it's very Sabbathy and contains the meanest bridge he ever sang.

• Like 3

The only song off the village leaks that really wanted to hear a completed version was State of grace. I could have lived without all the rest, but I am glad to have heard all the new songs with Slash/Duff despite not being totally blown away by it (Perhaps being the strongest offering so far).

Forgive me if this has already been answered but do we have any actual proof or connections aside from the title to suggest that Monsters is in fact Soul Monster/Me and My Elvis? I know that Slash and Duff reworked the CDII material but I find it difficult to believe that they'd take what was already a great instrumental and dramatically revamp it like this.

2 minutes ago, Gibson87 said:

Forgive me if this has already been answered but do we have any actual proof or connections aside from the title to suggest that Monsters is in fact Soul Monster/Me and My Elvis? I know that Slash and Duff reworked the CDII material but I find it difficult to believe that they'd take what was already a great instrumental and dramatically revamp it like this.

I think Leave Me Alone became Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul which became Soul Monster which became Monsters which became part of The General, and Me & My Elvis was always a different song.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Can someone remind me where Ides of March and Beta's Barn came from. As in when we learnt of them. I know Barn was a Pitman comment wasn't it? Down By The Ocean too, I can't remember where that first came from either. 

Ides of March was mentioned in a few SpIat interviews back in 2004-2005, and Dave Dominguez mentioned having worked on it back in the late 90s: https://www.a-4-d.com/t7990-ides-of-march#32314

Beta's Barn was mentioned by Chris in 2009: https://www.a-4-d.com/t3486-2009-03-28-htgth-interview-with-chris-pitman

11 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Can someone remind me where Ides of March and Beta's Barn came from. As in when we learnt of them. I know Barn was a Pitman comment wasn't it? Down By The Ocean too, I can't remember where that first came from either. 

Ides of March was mentioned by Dave Dominguez, who worked as an engineer for the band in the late 90s, and also mentioned by Dizzy. His description of it sounds like Circus Maximus, which is also a Roman title, but apparently Fortus told a fan recently that Seven is actually Circus Maximus combined with D-Tune (which also makes sense, since Brain said Seven was inspired by Julius Caesar).

I don’t remember who mentioned Beta’s Barn, but it was definitely someone close to the band like Pitman or something.

Izzy mentioned Down By the Ocean in a rare 2001 interview as being one of a handful of songs he and Duff worked on for Axl in 1995. Axl later mentioned the song, adding that it was indeed an Izzy track, in his 2008 forum visits. A lot of people assume it’s really Box from Izzy’s 2007 album Fire. A few years ago someone found the 1995 tape, but TB took it from them before they could leak it.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I think Leave Me Alone became Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul which became Soul Monster which became Monsters which became part of The General, and Me & My Elvis was always a different song.

Exactly. That Me And My Elvis was Soul Monster is just one of many "truths" that gets established in GN'R fan forums but is really only based on conjecture, like the party recording song being The General. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Exactly. That Me And My Elvis was Soul Monster is just one of many "truths" that gets established in GN'R fan forums but is really only based on conjecture, like the party recording song being The General. 

That reminds me of when the locker leaks were happening and I jokingly referred to the unnamed Tommy demo as motormouth (based on an old fake title) and everyone started acting like that was the actual title. Thankfully we know now that it’s really 10%er.

• Like 2

If I were to guess. Leave Me Alone was one of the first placeholder song titles, possibly given by Axl when it was still just an instrumental but based on the feel of the music. Elvis Priestley and the Monster of Soul was an early title after he had started writing lyrics but this changed to Soul Monster when the lyrics were done. Monsters was a later name, possibly because he changed the lyrics or thought it fit better, possible as late as when Slash and Duff started working on it. I would looooove to get to hear all of these different versions. I hope Axl releases all of it in a box some time, maybe in 2028. 

2 minutes ago, doakes said:

Wasn't Soul Monster one of the titles on the Village Instrumental demos? 

No. There was an instrumental track among the Village leaks called Me and My Elvis, but it is not the same song as Monsters/Soul Monster. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

No, it was Me & My Elvis, but we all assumed that was Soul Monster cause back in 2008 Axl said that Elvis and the Monster of Soul was an alternate title for Leave Me Alone/ Soul Monster.

Well, not all of us. I tried arguing that they might not be the same and that the evidence was tenous at best :lol:

11 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Is it not The General though. If it's one song, a suite almost. The cell phone recording is the second half of the song. 

Either way we now know the classic concert intro was strings from both parts, not just the General. 

1 minute ago, rumandraisin said:

Is it not The General though. If it's one song, a suite almost. The cell phone recording is the second half of the song. 

Either way we now know the classic concert intro was strings from both parts, not just the General. 

Well, yeah, I guess it could be. Although, it is the Monsters part of The General, not The General part of The General :lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I think at some point between the 2008 forum visits and the 2010 Vienna party they both got combined into one song. Someone must’ve told Axl “these both sound so similar that they might as well be one song.” They both have the same “spooky” beltrami orchestration anyways, and we know he worked on both, back when (Soul) Monster(s) was called Leave Me Alone.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, yeah, I guess it could be. Although, it is the Monsters part of The General, not The General part of The General :lol:

True. I just find it interesting from the Beltrami part perspective. The strings link the two songs and pats are in both. It's all very confusing though as Axl reffered to Soul Monster as a separate song as did Bach for General. 

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I think at some point between the 2008 forum visits and the 2010 Vienna party they both got combined into one song. Someone must’ve told Axl “these both sound so similar that they might as well be one song.” They both have the same “spooky” beltrami orchestration anyways, and we know he worked on both, back when (Soul) Monster(s) was called Leave Me Alone.

I'm not so sure, Beltrami's parts were done in 2002 and he mentioned working on Gen and Leave (Soul Monster) separately. Yet they're the same strings? Just variations of the melody but clearly the same overall. 

So confusing. 

2 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

True. I just find it interesting from the Beltrami part perspective. The strings link the two songs and pats are in both. It's all very confusing though as Axl reffered to Soul Monster as a separate song as did Bach for General. 

I'm not so sure, Beltrami's parts were done in 2002 and he mentioned working on Gen and Leave (Soul Monster) separately. Yet they're the same strings? Just variations of the melody but clearly the same overall. 

So confusing. 

I haven't been able to hear that the strings are the same so I will just conclude that people got it wrong :lol:, because, yes, it seems weird Beltrami would write the same orchestra pieces for two clearly separate songs at the time, unless Axl already then wanted a musical theme combining two songs that are otherwise very different, or he replaced the strings on one of them with the others at a later time. 

7 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

So confusing. 

I think the simplest explanation is the songs were separate but intended as companion pieces to be sequenced back to back, which would have been conveyed to Beltrami. 

Similar to how Axl asked Sorum to reuse the same drum fill on NR, Don't Cry and Estranged 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Ides of March was mentioned by Dave Dominguez, who worked as an engineer for the band in the late 90s, and also mentioned by Dizzy. His description of it sounds like Circus Maximus, which is also a Roman title, but apparently Fortus told a fan recently that Seven is actually Circus Maximus combined with D-Tune (which also makes sense, since Brain said Seven was inspired by Julius Caesar).

I don’t remember who mentioned Beta’s Barn, but it was definitely someone close to the band like Pitman or something.

Izzy mentioned Down By the Ocean in a rare 2001 interview as being one of a handful of songs he and Duff worked on for Axl in 1995. Axl later mentioned the song, adding that it was indeed an Izzy track, in his 2008 forum visits. A lot of people assume it’s really Box from Izzy’s 2007 album Fire. A few years ago someone found the 1995 tape, but TB took it from them before they could leak it.

Can you elaborate a bit....someone?

Edited by colonizedmind