New Beatles Song

Zint

No thread yet??

Ok...

Ummmm.....

Well for me, personally,  I'm underwhelmed by it.

It sounds like a Househusband John - era solo song featuring guest appearances by Paul, Ringo and George.

Like, at best, it could have been the b side to the Starting Over single in 1980?

This isn't "The Beatles" to me, somehow.

I'll put it this way....

If under different circumstances the four of them had proper got back together to record, this track most likely wouldn't have made it past a noodle around throw away track.

It didn't make the cut for Double Fantasy did it.

Frankly, what I'm hearing is what I was expecting.

But hey, if people are digging it and it's bringing a bit of happiness, I think John would have been good with that ( and maybe George, lol, I've read he wasn't that keen on it at the time).

Interested to hear what others think of it.

• Like 2

I too am a bit underwhelmed. I’ve been fascinated by the demo for some time and have been anticipating this release, as I am a big fan of what they did with Free as a Bird and Real Love.

Personally, the demo’s melody, lyrics and structure are beautiful!! One of my favorite Lennon compositions. The actual release feels slightly adulterated though. I don’t mind the treatment on John’s vocals, but the rawness of the tape demo had a certain charm I wish they’d just left.

The “Now and then— I miss you” chorus on this release is quite moving and lifts the song to a new place. That alone is worth the price of admission… The bridge from the demo “I don’t want to use you… abuse you” has unfortunately been scrapped.

Do we know how much if any of George is actually on this track? I saw the “making of,” where Paul discussed having some of George’s tracks from ‘95 but mentioned adding a slide guitar as a tribute. It’s a little disturbing to question if all the lead guitar is a mimic…

All in all it is tastefully done. Not as piano centric or true to the original as I would have hoped for… The strings are a grand touch. Cassette’s on its way.

It’s a bittersweet “goodbye” from the Beatles. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Where'd you find it?

I think Apple Records have been taking down a lot of videos, though. There's also a fanmade video which attempts to mimic what a Beatles version would sound like, closer to the original demo:

Between Hackney Diamonds, The General and Monsters, and Now and Then, the last one is definitely my favourite of new releases from legendary dinosaur bands. I've been listening to it on repeat all day, so haunting yet weirdly uplifting at the same time. If someone told me they didn't like Guns N' Roses I could understand that, just a matter of opinion, but if they said they didn't like The Beatles I would assume they are dead inside :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

So did they use AI or something? 
why only release it now?

I seem to remember in the mid 90s they released what were apparently the “last song”. What’s changed?

They used a new software (I think an AI) to separate John’s voice from the piano recorded in the original version. Then they added the instruments recorded by Paul, George and Ringo in the 90s, and the orchestration, etc..

On 11/3/2023 at 9:10 AM, Amir said:

I get so emotional watching this 🥲

On 11/3/2023 at 10:36 AM, Cosmo said:

Damn, this had me in tears. 

Wow!! Same here.

It's kind of oddball, slightly cheesy even lol, but extremely touching and sentimental.

The video has completely won me over on the official version of the song. As @Amir said earlier, there is a certain attachment we get to the demos, similar to GnR-- But the video treatment/ package on this is transformative.

I can't get through singing along without cracking at this point. The final shots are crushing... Those images of the boys in reverse, as the strings collapse into the close of their last bow.

• Like 2

Heard the song before I saw the video....and instantly loved it. The more I hear it the more I love it and then I saw the video and wow what a beautiful brilliant video. As a huge Beatles fan, it did bring me to tears. No lie. Thank-you Peter Jackson! And Thank-you Beatles. :heart:

• Like 1

I enjoyed it.  Is it "A Day In the Life?"  No.  But better to have it than not. 

It is a bit bittersweet though.  The song represents the final bookend of one of the greatest cultural outputs of the 20th century.  The Beatles will be held in the same regard as Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Mozart, Picasso and other seminal artists who revolutionized their art, affecting contemporaries and those who came after them.

Guns might be my favourite band, but for me, The Beatles are the greatest band of all time.  They will withstand the test of time like few other musicians will.  

• Like 3

I really enjoyed it. There are some parts that have been cut that I liked from the demo but they were very unfinished so I understand why they were taken out. 

From lyric sheets from the 90s it seems they were going to cut the same parts then, anyway. 

Quite emotional song along with the video (including some silly beatles style humour that ngl didn't click on my first watch but works when you're in the mindset for it) I think they did a good job. 

Love that they included the footage of them working on it in the 90s as well. Something I've wanted to see for a long while. 

Edited by Jw224