Holiday bullshit thread

ZoSoRose

On 11/23/2023 at 4:01 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Everyone want a piece of you? Family fucjed?

Does everyone annoy the fuck out of you?

fuck it all, complain about it here. Ho ho ho happy holidays

Why can’t o people just get off your fucking back, man?

My wife's brother is visiting from the US for Christmas with his family and so far the only plans I've made is to go see Die Hard at the Prince Charles Cinema with him. 

My parents live at the other end of the country, one of my sisters lives in London near me and the other sister lives in Portugal so I don't have to worry about family drama. 

I agreed with my parents that we love each other very much but neither of us can be arsed to make the effort to spend Christmas together. :lol:

It's probably a good thing that we're not going to the US this year as the last time we spent the holidays with my wife's family I got drunk with her brother and we ended up shooting (full) paint cans in his garage. Made a right fucking mess and burst an ear drum! :lol:  

• Haha 1

My family isn't fucked, but I can't say I am that excited for family time with the in-laws + extended family (either side as wife has divorced parents, one of which is remarried)

It's such a drag going to the group meet up. There's no optional games to play, there's no drinking, no music. You just get together, talk about surface level shit that nobody really cares about (How's your job Chris? You wouldn't understand so i'll just say good) and watch people open presents - mainly children opening plastic shit.

My side of the family have the option of playing games together, there's wine flowing, maybe some christmas tv is on, or there will be music playing... people are just happier and it's natural. 

I've come to accept that my family is the way that it is. What really irks me about the holidays is the constant consumerist bullshit that's shoved down our throats for the entire month of December. Don't get me wrong, I'll bite on a deal if it's something that I need or would be a good gift for a loved one but I'm not going to spend my money on useless garbage that I don't need. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 5:01 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Everyone want a piece of you? Family fucjed?

Does everyone annoy the fuck out of you?

fuck it all, complain about it here. Ho ho ho happy holidays

Why can’t o people just get off your fucking back, man?

I refuse to even think about Christmas before Sinterklaas is over. :fuckyou:

This was kind of just a dumb throwaway topic I made when I had a couple of drinks, but it was an okay but still tough weekend for me. I got to rest, PTOed Friday (bullshit I didn't just get it off), play a lot of music and video games, but there was still a lot of stress.

I hate the holidays because I feel like I can't breathe or enjoy them for myself. It sucks. I would like to enjoy the holiday season, but with a divorced and emotionally insane family, it has just never been in the cards. At least not since I was a little kid. 

Thanksgiving was luckily only a mere two stops, this year. My dad's side is fine for the most part. My mom's side is nuts. My grandpa is a retired Doctor, and he invites these stuck- up country club- types over every year. They go way back as family friends, but it's just a superficial bullshit relationship. They have a bunch of "kids" my age (late 20s, early 30s) and I share absolutely nothing in common with them. My Aunts are all over it and go insane to impress this family. My mom didn't even go this year because she couldn't stomach it, and that makes it awkward. I go because my grandparents are almost 90, so I want to say I was there. But she can't even do that, and she is a difficult person to say the least. Since she wasn't there, I had to make a separate stop just to see her this weekend instead of resting. It was fine, but I can't ever relax around all these people. It drains me, mentally. 

My fiancé has a very dwindled immediate family. Her dad died, her mom and stepdad are horrible and out of our lives, and her sisters are crazy, and they all don't have a relationship, really. In fact, the middle sister lived with us for a year and a half, and now basically ghosted us. Nice.

It makes my partner sad every holiday season and it sucks I can't do anything about it. Her ex- stepdad is cool, and we saw him, last week. She has a few extended cousins here we might see, but no one that close. I can't be a substitute for her immediate family and that all sucks, too. We did have a nice Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday night, just us two, though. That was nice. 

Anyways, can't wait to do it all again for Christmas, next month. Fuck!

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Chris1989 said:

My side of the family have the option of playing games together, there's wine flowing, maybe some christmas tv is on, or there will be music playing... people are just happier and it's natural. 

Natural happiness. Man, that is what a lot of my family is missing. You nailed it, I know exactly what you mean. It isn't just about the games, drinks, music, etc. It is just a natural state. 

Family can be annoying but unless you hate them just tell and show them you love them, make amends, let them be as they are, ignore their stupidity and never hold a grudge for too long. Hug them any chance you get, have diner with them, laugh about their stupid jokes and listen to the ever same stories one more time. Those stupid fucking routines, these annoying table and sofa talks...cherish them, cherish the fuck out of that while you can. Life is so fucking short and most people never really know what they got 'til it's gone.

• GNFNR 2

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

Family can be annoying but unless you hate them just tell and show them you love them, make amends, let them be as they are, ignore their stupidity and never hold a grudge for too long. Hug them any chance you get, have diner with them, laugh about their stupid jokes and listen to the ever same stories one more time. Those stupid fucking routines, these annoying table and sofa talks...cherish them, cherish the fuck out of that while you can. Life is so fucking short and most people never really know what they got 'til it's gone.

Oh yeah, for sure. I do my best. There will come a day when I will lament these days, as difficult as they can be. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Powerful words my man, my parents are getting to a certain age and i swear if I have to hear that same old story once again I will explode, your post made me realise that I need to take a chill pill because pretty soon I will be that exact same person. Hell Im already boring my kid with my stories haha, I keep on retelling her when her mom and I first met. Dont know why but those were some powerful words mate, cheers thanks for that!

Edited by grouse
  • Like 2

It wasn't too bad since I had to work the day before, day of and day after and then some, so I got to avoid the awkwardness of being around a brother in law I don't like and two brothers who are not speaking to each other and not having to completely feel the emptiness of the first Thanksgiving without my mom.

And I also am not too crazy about the usual Thanksgiving food. Same shit every year and I'm so bored of it :max:

On 11/28/2023 at 12:04 AM, grouse said:

Powerful words my man, my parents are getting to a certain age and i swear if I have to hear that same old story once again I will explode, your post made me realise that I need to take a chill pill because pretty soon I will be that exact same person. Hell Im already boring my kid with my stories haha, I keep on retelling her when her mom and I first met. Dont know why but those were some powerful words mate, cheers thanks for that!

It's their, and now your, glory days. We're all like that. I try to ensure that I am always doing something new and taking on different challenges so that I am never in a rut for so long that I have nothing new to talk about.

I've worked in Insurance, Finance, Automotive, Energy, and now Decarbonisation. I used to play football, then rugby, then tennis, then swimming, then cycling, then triathlons, now I have taken up running. Only constant in my life is my family.

Keep things fresh, make new memories, create new stories.

Edited by Chris1989
  • Like 1

Well, since my family has lost many relatives it's bittersweet for us. My mom orders the turkey from a store now that's fully cooked.

Christmas is also bittersweet.  Since moving to Texas and most of our family living in New York, we just spend the holiday with each other. Now that my grandparents are gone we have our memories. Our holidays up in New York were always fun. If not for my daughter, we probably would just have a quiet holiday. She makes our world fuller.

I know this time of year is hard on lots of people. Charging the gifts and then paying them off for the rest of next year, sucks.

Just remember not everyone will be with us forever, so try to enjoy the loved ones you have now. It goes very fast and then one day, they're all gone.

26 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Charging the gifts and then paying them off for the rest of next year, sucks.

This has got to be one of the most American things I've ever read, is this a thing in other countries I wonder?

Nothing against you dontdamnme, I wish you all the best !

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, grouse said:

This has got to be one of the most American things I've ever read, is this a thing in other countries I wonder?

It's a thing in England too. A lot of families on lower incomes use store cards which usually charge high interest rates to buy their kids presents. 

• Wow 1

The adverts normally start now for what are essentially savings accounts that tie you in to purchasing from a specific catalogue. You pay in each month to fund Christmas, earn 0% interest on that saving, and then get restricted to purchasing from a select set of stores and often pay more than the best deals on the high street or online. It's a massive scam that preys on people who are unable to leave their damn savings alone.

The UK and America are HORRIFIC at teaching people how to manage finances. The fact Dave Ramsey has made so much money from what is the most simple and basic financial advice going simply astounds me. 

23 hours ago, grouse said:

I know. lol but that's the way it is for me. Hopefully, I will get them paid off before next Christmas. also my daughter's birthday is in December too.

3 hours ago, Chris1989 said:

The adverts normally start now for what are essentially savings accounts that tie you in to purchasing from a specific catalogue. You pay in each month to fund Christmas, earn 0% interest on that saving, and then get restricted to purchasing from a select set of stores and often pay more than the best deals on the high street or online. It's a massive scam that preys on people who are unable to leave their damn savings alone.

The UK and America are HORRIFIC at teaching people how to manage finances. The fact Dave Ramsey has made so much money from what is the most simple and basic financial advice going simply astounds me. 

10 hours ago, janrichmond said:

It's a thing in England too. A lot of families on lower incomes use store cards which usually charge high interest rates to buy their kids presents. 

That sounds absolutely horrible, people of lower income are usually quite prone to this kind of trickery and this feels like adding insult to injury.

Thnx for the answers! Much appreciated  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grouse said:

That sounds absolutely horrible, people of lower income are usually quite prone to this kind of trickery and this feels like adding insult to injury.

Thnx for the answers! Much appreciated  

There are also loan sharks in the poorest areas, they'll lend money to anyone at super high interest rates of like 99% or higher. The poorest suffer the most. 

On 11/27/2023 at 10:31 AM, adamsapple said:

You nailed it. I spent last Christmas in Texas with my two brothers and my dad (I live in Alaska) and I am soooooo glad that I did because my dad got very sick with Bulbar-onset ALS and passed away just this past September.

I had even asked for time off this Christmas because I never would have thought that he could not make it another full year. You just don't know sometimes. Life is short and I take it day by day and treasure each day that I have.....

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, janrichmond said:

There are also loan sharks in the poorest areas, they'll lend money to anyone at super high interest rates of like 99% or higher. The poorest suffer the most. 

I find that quite disheartening, I realise that this is how the world works to a certain extent but come on it doesn´t have to be like this all the time guys. What I'm trying to say here is, be good and nice to your next of kin or even better, to a random stranger. The world would be a better place if we all did that.

aaaand now I'm getting off my high horse haha

1 hour ago, marlingrl03 said:

You nailed it. I spent last Christmas in Texas with my two brothers and my dad (I live in Alaska) and I am soooooo glad that I did because my dad got very sick with Bulbar-onset ALS and passed away just this past September.

I had even asked for time off this Christmas because I never would have thought that he could not make it another full year. You just don't know sometimes. Life is short and I take it day by day and treasure each day that I have.....

I'm sorry to hear that Marlin, I wish you all the strength that you need or needed to get through that crisis. Hope you are doing well. 

Edited by grouse
  • Thanks 1