Chances of Axl filling in for Brian during AC/DC Tour?

On 11/29/2023 at 12:41 PM, Rovim said:

pretty sure it's Brian or bust so my guess is that if Brian would not be able to complete the tour, they'll just cancel/delay it.

Thats's not how Angus works. There is a difference between a studio and a live setting for example. I don't think that he would have a problem to replace Brian, Phil or Cliff on tour. That's what happened to Phil already.

3 hours ago, Spoon87 said:

It was one kick ass gig. 

Absolutely ! It was my first time seeing and hearing Axl in person. I could not have asked for a better show....hearing that amazing rasp ! It was also the loudest show I've attended so far.

I'm forever grateful that I got to see Slash and Axl playing together...but those AC/DC shows with Axl were something else. Not just the shows.. it was incredibly refreshing to see and hear Axl performing "new songs" and giving interviews again.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 8:51 AM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I believe that Axl's position in AC/DC was originally meant to be permanent, or at least they were interested in exploring it further, until Angus heard Axl's post 2016 voice. No way was he going to allow AC/DC to be humiliated like that. Nothing's changed.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

7 hours ago, Sosso said:

Thats's not how Angus works. There is a difference between a studio and a live setting for example. I don't think that he would have a problem to replace Brian, Phil or Cliff on tour. That's what happened to Phil already.

yeah, I know how Angus works, I meant more Brian and not someone from the rhythm section. If Brian wouldn't be able to do it, my opinion is that Angus won't go with Axl again or anyone else to replace Brian.

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

yeah, I know how Angus works, I meant more Brian and not someone from the rhythm section. If Brian wouldn't be able to do it, my opinion is that Angus won't go with Axl again or anyone else to replace Brian.

But why not? It wasn't unpopular, people generally gave it rave reviews. I think Angus was well aware of that.

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Compare any 2016 video with any 2022 video of Axl singing Back In Black. He can't even do that one song anymore, but some people think he could do a full AC/DC show? Or a tour? Some of the delusions on here are hilarious :rofl-lol:

You would be a fool to think E could sound like 2016 IF he did it again. But I think Axl did a decent job on BIB on at least one of the attempts, can't recall where but I remember finding it last time people said he couldn't sign the song. With the right mentality Axl could get up there and do a good job. Does he have the same mentality he had in 2016? Doubtful but he also wouldn't want to get bad reviews while working with Angus... So I think he'd push himself. I mean the way he sings reckless life, Anything goes etc. is a perfect example of how he could handle most so g's in the AC/DC catalogue. Not all AC/DC is shoot to thrill, hell's bells and FTATR.

Just now, Tom2112 said:

Physical reasons might be valid, I thought you were on about people not being Interested in hearing it.

I don't believe most AC/DC fans are interested in hearing it, I don't think Angus would approach Axl again, and I don't think Axl can still do justice to the material.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I don't believe most AC/DC fans are interested in hearing it, I don't think Angus would approach Axl again, and I don't think Axl can still do justice to the material.

Well we're not talking about AC/DC touring with Axl over Brian, we're talking about the repeat of 2016 where Brian for one reason or another has to step away.

Most AC/DC fans (using the example from above) would be interested in attending a gig with Axl on vocals, proven by the almost unanimous approval he received last time. That's not in question. 

I think Angus absolutely would call if he was need for a singer. He has called many people with previous history of the band when he needed to fill a spot.

Do justice? not to 2016 levels, but he can definitely do a better job than Brian... not dragging Brian, but he doesn't have the range anymore. Axl could easily sing more than half of the set, he might struggle with those early belters but Axl is much better when he's singing in that higher range. He can still sing songs like Anything goes, reckless boys and while he might not have sang back in Black in 2022 as good as 2016, I think most would agree the version below is pretty damn good vocally. The change in his ability from 2022 to 2023 has been positive, so I don't think he'd be any worse if he sang this song next year. Finally, I don't think this is going to happen, but it is ridiculous of fans to say he can't do it. He ab-so-fucking-lutely could do it.

Edited by Tom2112

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well we're not talking about AC/DC touring with Axl over Brian, we're talking about the repeat of 2016 where Brian for one reason or another has to step away.

Most AC/DC fans (using the example from above) would be interested in attending a gig with Axl on vocals, proven by the almost unanimous approval he received last time. That's not in question. 

I think Angus absolutely would call if he was need for a singer. He has called many people with previous history of the band when he needed to fill a spot.

Do justice? not to 2016 levels, but he can definitely do a better job than Brian... not dragging Brian, but he doesn't have the range anymore. Axl could easily sing more than half of the set, he might struggle with those early belters but Axl is much better when he's singing in that higher range. He can still sing songs like Anything goes, reckless boys and while he might not have sang back in Black in 2022 as good as 2016, I think most would agree the version below is pretty damn good vocally. The change in his ability from 2022 to 2023 has been positive, so I don't think he'd be any worse if he sang this song next year. Finally, I don't think this is going to happen, but it is ridiculous of fans to say he can't do it. He ab-so-fucking-lutely could do it.

Brian doesn't really need to do justice to the material cause he's Brian. Already gave my reasons for why I don't think it'll happen. Like always, I could be very wrong, it's just that I don't believe Angus is ever going to replace Brian with Axl again, even if Brian couldn't do it. :shrugs:

2 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Didn’t Axl go in a studio with them?

if so he probably did lay down some vocals but once Brian was ok they replaced his vocal track

I don't think Axl entered a studio with AC/DC. iirc, Axl just offered, but it ended there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

Brian doesn't really need to do justice to the material cause he's Brian. Already gave my reasons for why I don't think it'll happen. Like always, I could be very wrong, it's just that I don't believe Angus is ever going to replace Brian with Axl again, even if Brian couldn't do it. :shrugs:

Well, I only really have a problem with one part of this because it's just wrong. 

Brian is Brian and people want to see him with AC/DC. No question. But if he's out there struggling the fans and the reviews won't be as positive as they were for powertrip. Brian or not,  people expect a certain standard... Just like people expect a certain standard from Axl on his gigs.

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

Well, I only really have a problem with one part of this because it's just wrong. 

Brian is Brian and people want to see him with AC/DC. No question. But if he's out there struggling the fans and the reviews won't be as positive as they were for powertrip. Brian or not,  people expect a certain standard... Just like people expect a certain standard from Axl on his gigs.

I think in a potential scenario where Brian struggles too much, the band with Brian will deal with it but I don't think finding a replacement for Brian instead of taking a break/delaying or canceling the remaining dates is going to happen.

I hope it won't come to that, my guess is that it's not going to be easy for Brian to do these shows but also that the AC/DC fanbase has lowered its expectations.

1 hour ago, megaguns1982 said:

Didn’t Axl go in a studio with them?

if so he probably did lay down some vocals but once Brian was ok they replaced his vocal track

I wish they'd have gone in a studio for a live tour album dvd combo thing, just that. Obviously acdc people mixing it so it sounds good lol

it shouldn't have worked but somehow it was absolutely brilliant live 

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think in a potential scenario where Brian struggles too much, the band with Brian will deal with it but I don't think finding a replacement for Brian instead of taking a break/delaying or canceling the remaining dates is going to happen.

I hope it won't come to that, my guess is that it's not going to be easy for Brian to do these shows but also that the AC/DC fanbase has lowered its expectations.

I guess they can postpone if it comes to it, but postponing is not simple. This tour has probably been in the works for the guts of 2yrs, it's difficult to reschedule and get the same availability for venues. It also costs a lot, crew, refunds, insurance, travel, gear storage etc. 

I think they'd either cancel altogether or use the willing fill in.

Anyway we're talking hypotheticals here. 

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

I don't think Axl entered a studio with AC/DC. iirc, Axl just offered, but it ended there.

I think the suggestion was that Angus and Axl had discussed working together further. Axl offered to help out with AC/DC for as long as they wanted / needed him. 

If AC/DC retire, I could imagine Angus getting the itch to play and licking up the phone.

Axl is in his best shape in years and still gives a frontman performance like no other, but his voice failed him many times this year even when he was trying his best. It's just not happening there (in regards to his current voice condition). Let's also not overlook the fact that by the end of 2016 he was already cracking hard on some of the songs like Hells Bells and Thunderstruck. It was clearly difficult then and he's now 7/8 years older and struggling enough with his own songs let alone the Brian material. Sure, we can say he wouldn't want to let Angus down and would bring the goods, but I just don't think he can. He can barely wheeze his way through Welcome to the Jungle currently. Unless AC/DC wants to only do songs like Boogie Man or something.

There is also zero point in AC/DC doing a tour without Brian again, but even as the hypothetical "could Axl do it again" sort of way I just really don't think he could.

• Like 1