Chances of Axl filling in for Brian during AC/DC Tour?

54 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I love AC/DC, but if I was in a position to attend a show (they're not going to come to my country anytime soon and I'm not flying to another country to attend a concert) I would rather get a refund if it was just a cover guy instead of Brian or Axl, someone who is a pro that I like. For me, Angus is the main attraction, but still.

I agree, unless if the replacement could really pull it off. My dad and I saw Journey in 2007 with a temp replacement singer, he was nearly indistinguishable from the original (it was before the current guy).

We also saw Nazareth with Manny Charlton, who had a singer who sounded like the original and that was fun.

• Like 1

Well, I was  able to see Axl/DC performing in Fort Lauderdale, 27 August 2016, It was absolutely perfect. And I really hope to be able to witness again. I could care less if Brian Is offended or not, or if His last tour or not. But I understand AC/DC fanbase, It would be the same for me if Axl happen the same. Never accept a change in the frontman role. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Very few people would pay to see it. The show I saw went from being sold out to two thirds full (at best) and that was with people who had already bought tickets. I picked up my tickets for virtually nothing. 

AC/DC fans just aren't interested in it remotely. 

That's one show, and a handful of others. The remainder of those shows sold out or sold very well. 

To say AC/DC fans don't want to hear it is a stretch. Yes, 100% they want Brian on stage and Phil Rudd. But in their absence if they cannot perform, the fans are pretty happy with Axl in 2016 after they hearing him and after he brought back deep cuts and they were happy with Rudd's replacement in California.

If AC/DC went out on the road with Axl while Brian was capable of singing then almost no AC/DC fan would want to support them... But AC/DC would still sell a lot of tickets regardless. It's a different situation when the singer has to leave the band because he can't physically do it, and in that instance getting a top star to cover is more than acceptable. 

Hoping that Brian gets his voice a bit more together and gives a decent show when they hit the road, so ACDC  can go out with a proper roar!

And so is his reputation for that matter. Just look at any comment section about this, and it's full of people being totally unsurprised and joking about it. The reason this will blow over easily for Axl is because no one expected better from him anyway. The same reason why Steven Tyler and Marilyn Manson still has plenty of collaborators and no one has jumped ship on any of their projects. 

And being "cancelled' isn't really unless you go to prison anyway.

41 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

That's one show, and a handful of others. The remainder of those shows sold out or sold very well. 

To say AC/DC fans don't want to hear it is a stretch. Yes, 100% they want Brian on stage and Phil Rudd. But in their absence if they cannot perform, the fans are pretty happy with Axl in 2016 after they hearing him and after he brought back deep cuts and they were happy with Rudd's replacement in California.

If AC/DC went out on the road with Axl while Brian was capable of singing then almost no AC/DC fan would want to support them... But AC/DC would still sell a lot of tickets regardless. It's a different situation when the singer has to leave the band because he can't physically do it, and in that instance getting a top star to cover is more than acceptable. 

Hoping that Brian gets his voice a bit more together and gives a decent show when they hit the road, so ACDC  can go out with a proper roar!

But (correct me if I'm wrong here) no shows were announced with Axl were they? It was always sold as AC/DC so people had their tickets. 

A lot of shows, as I recall, didn't offer refunds so people went regardless. A lot of people went along anyway as they already had their tickets/plans and gave it a go. It went down better than expected. 

It's a big difference though between getting people to keep hold of the tickets they've already bought and actually selling tickets to an AC/DC tour without Brian. 

33 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

But (correct me if I'm wrong here) no shows were announced with Axl were they? It was always sold as AC/DC so people had their tickets. 

A lot of shows, as I recall, didn't offer refunds so people went regardless. A lot of people went along anyway as they already had their tickets/plans and gave it a go. It went down better than expected. 

It's a big difference though between getting people to keep hold of the tickets they've already bought and actually selling tickets to an AC/DC tour without Brian. 

Well every show as I recall was optioned with a refund within a certain window🤔 I could be wrong.

As for the other point, I was just talking about Axl filling in like he did in 2016, but I do feel like if AC/DC had continued with the same line up they finished with in 2016 it would have been a vocal minority that was unhappy. You will never please all fans of any band at the end of the day. And plenty AC/DC fans are probably now saying Brian can't cut it, blah, blah, blah. 

I hope to catch a show when the tour kicks off!

9 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

AC/DC are going on a massive tour in 2024 (see thread), do we think there's any chance Axl could fill in again for Brian? It is hard to imagine Brian pulling off a full-blown tour with his issues. Though i find it unlikely for Axl to do AC/DC again, it would be kind of epic.

None. Axl has his own vocal issues these days. I seriously doubt he can do any of the songs any justice now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I can’t speak for the European tour as those dates stayed the same, but the North American tour had refunds offered. I don’t think they can legally not offer refunds in the event of a postponement. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

It would be very interesting to see if Axl can in fact “switch” his voice to full rasp properly. We’ll probably never find out unless this happens.

his voice in GnR was already faltering back then, but the second he joined AC/DC it was good old classic Axl.

I totally think he CAN do it (with some aging affects with the passage of time), but it hurts and also is a concern for his long-term touring ability as soon as he tries it regularly, so thus, that's why he doesn't do it anymore...as soon as he went back to GNR after the AC/DC gig he sounded ok but nowhere near the chainsaw rasp he had just produced...so he (at that point) consciously reverted back to halfway house, I remember a lot of chatter of, why can't he sing just as he had at the time! A lot of debate about the range of AC/DC being much easier for him to do that, etc etc...

So would be able to do it? I certainly think the Bon songs would be fine and could he do the Brian songs better than Brian at this point? Probably...but it wouldn't be as good as 2016, cause that'll of been 8 years ago! That's just logic. People do rise to challenges and need to be invigorating and there's NO no doubt singing for one of his favourite bands was a huge honour and he did takemit seriously and rehearsed properly...it showed us his laziness to do the same standards with GNR has been an issue post 45. It was a risk to do that long-term, he himself said in the pre-FIrst DC gig...that you have to really work hard as some of the DC material, If you don't use the right technique, you may never sing again (to paraphrase)...so he was conscious of prep on that! Shame he doesn't take GNR prep quite so seriously but at this point with the same songs every tour, I guess you would be a bit bored singing WTTJ for the 1000th time....

The plus point for what it means for us....I do think if and when we get new material and that album, that Axl will have studio songs with plenty of (older sounding) rasp, a la Rock the F'N Rock and that he can do it in a controlled environment over time without the toll of a 3 HR gig 3 times a week doing it....which to us, is more important in GNR land than Axl pushing it for a side project. So if he can still do that, let's reserve it for GNR material eh! Come on Ax...get back in the booth. That song he's done for Michael.S coming soon will be a great marker for things to come 🤞

Edited by colonizedmind

20 hours ago, allwaystired said:

There was an extra date in Düsseldorf at the end of the European tour with Axl that was announced after the AXL/DC tour has begun. The Düsseldorf show was not planned with Brian, at least not offically.

This date was still advertised as AC/DC . Most people knew though that they bought tickets to see Axl performing with AC/DC I guess, not Brian.

Edited by The Garden of Guns N Roses
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

NGL - I went to Axl/DC in nyc at MSG.. it was, and remains, one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to. The few refunds that happened saw those seats sell out immediately after Axl was announced and the stand by line was easily 300+ people when we walked in.

Not sure about other markets but nyc was sold out as fuck. He sounded great too, and every last one of us walked out with very positive opinions.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I can’t speak for the European tour as those dates stayed the same, but the North American tour had refunds offered. I don’t think they can legally not offer refunds in the event of a postponement. 

Refunds are a contractural issue. And ALWAYS offered via Ticketmaster if a show gets cancelled OR postponed. Pre Covid it was 60 days after the announcement of a cancellation and/or 60 days after a new date is announced. Post covid I think these are down to 30 days.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, IzzysMissy said:

NGL - I went to Axl/DC in nyc at MSG.. it was, and remains, one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to. The few refunds that happened saw those seats sell out immediately after Axl was announced and the stand by line was easily 300+ people when we walked in.

Not sure about other markets but nyc was sold out as fuck. He sounded great too, and every last one of us walked out with very positive opinions.

I was at that show as well. I did have to step away for a bit since it was so loud.  That was a great show though!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Garden of Guns N Roses said:

There was an extra date in Düsseldorf at the end of the European tour with Axl that was announced after the AXL/DC tour has begun. The Düsseldorf show was not planned with Brian, at least not offically.

This date was still advertised as AC/DC . Most people knew though that they bought tickets to see Axl performing with AC/DC I guess, not Brian.

It was one kick ass gig. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Draguns said:

I was at that show as well. I did have to step away for a bit since it was so loud.  That was a great show though!

We were in sec 109, low rows.. RIGHT NEXT to the cannons.. my ears were ringing even with professional earplugs. Touch Too Much is one of my fave songs and Axl crushed it. Such a great show and memory!!

• Like 1