Will Guns Ever Release A New Epic (7+ Minute Song)

In the vein of "November Rain", "Coma", Locomotive", "Civil War", "Estranged" etc.

Well...we all thought/hoped "The General" would be that epic we have craved since the Illusion Days...I like the song but it's not an epic in the sense of what we're looking for. TWAT Is the closest we've reached...

Do we think, either in the material we know about, or new material to be recorded from scratch...maybe the possibility of something like Atlas being extended out (potential more vocals than any of the village material and was apprarently in a finished state for Chinese, so one would assume it was fleshed out), or other songs we only know by name or know nothing of at all...that within all that, lies another Epic? Unlikely...as the songs thus far are fairly simple and not large in lyrical scope but who knows, it would have to be something we know little about. "Monsters" has surprised me and made me less sure to doubt. Perhaps that style of song they aren't interested in anymore?

I think though, If we're gonna get one of those 8-10 minute journeys, it's gonna come from Slash and Axl coming up with it in a new session. It's safe to say, Slash will have riffs galore in the background and he's not exactly gonna waste them on old Chinese material, so his best GNR stuff is surely gonna come from the ground up...if we're (and he's) lucky enough to get that chance.

Edited by colonizedmind

55 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I wonder what that material was Slash said he recorded "for Guns" some time around 2016. Was it just fiddling about with the old CD2 tracks, or did he actually create something new? Well, I guess we'll see. Or not. 

Rumor was Fatlas, which was supposed to accompany a new "best of". They released the successful GH 3 times since... Axl probably made Slash record Better as well lol

Edited by Coma16

9 minutes ago, SlashisGOD said:

Let’s hope they can come up with another epic. I’d like to hear something in the vein of NR, a power ballad.

I think having Slash back makes it more likely than before TBH. Something on the level of Anastasia live would be more than fine by me. Some more ebbs and flows though but if he can still solo like this.  Yes please! 

• Like 1

TWAT, to me, was a stunning epic, on par with all that came before...Prostitute, to a much lesser extent, imo...

Based solely on what we've heard, I'd say Oklahoma has the potential to contain similar qualities, but, who can say what form that song has taken in the intervening 22-23 years?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

TWAT, to me, was a stunning epic, on par with all that came before...Prostitute, to a much lesser extent, imo...

Based solely on what we've heard, I'd say Oklahoma has the potential to contain similar qualities, but, who can say what form that song has taken in the intervening 22-23 years?

I want a solo of Slash on the form he's at from 6.15 onward in the above video I posted as that be intense! 

• GNFNR 1

As much as I love the CD era. the most disappointing part about it has been the lack of long and progressive epics. It seems like a conscious decision to keep the songs relatively short. Maybe it's cause people criticized the UYI records for being too bloated and pompous. That might also explain why we haven't gotten any UYI type music videos either cause the UYI -videos were heavily criticized, even if many people love them as well. But if I remember correctly, Axl said in some interview that if they'll  make a music video it would be mostly concert footage. And that's exactly what the Better video and the Perhaps video have been.

In the early days of the CD era tours Axl played very little UYI material. They played mostly AFD songs. There was no Estranged, no Don't Cry, no Civil War not to mention songs like Pretty Tied Up. They played very little UYI material and it almost seemed like Axl didn't want to play it cause it had been criticized so much. It's almost like he was a bit embarrassed of the UYI records and was determined to make new songs shorter like on Appetite. And it's of course true that casuals prefer shorter songs in general. There's a reason why pop songs are never long songs. It's even possible that the record label asked them to keep the songs shorter than on UYI. Who knows!

All I know is that I really like those longer and more progressive songs. TWAT is indeed the closest that we've got from the CD era. I like the way Better has these segments that sound very different from each other. It kinda has that progressive feel, even if it's also a pretty short song. The General and Monster are both great song on their own, but I still feel like if they had found a way to combine those two songs into one epic masterpiece, it could have ended up being my favorite song of all times. I'm not even exaggerating. The General sounds like a perfect beginning for an epic song and Monsters sounds like the perfect ending.

But to answer your question, I don't know if GNR will ever release another long and epic song. I hope they will.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

I wonder what that material was Slash said he recorded "for Guns" some time around 2016. Was it just fiddling about with the old CD2 tracks, or did he actually create something new? Well, I guess we'll see. Or not. 

It wasn't 2016. The first time he said he recorded "Guns stuff" was in 2019. Before that (around 2018) he said he had one folder with riffs for Guns and one for SMKC

• Like 1

I honestly believe the band and Axl have been writing stuff the last few years. Just a hunch, tho.

About the length, it depends on Axl, I guess. I mean, the song could have different sections and all, but ultimately it will depend on how much lyrics Axl will write to fill it all in. I don't want to jump to conclusions based in the NITL singles though, as those were all CD era lyrics anyways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

I honestly believe the band and Axl have been writing stuff the last few years. Just a hunch, tho.

About the length, it depends on Axl, I guess. I mean, the song could have different sections and all, but ultimately it will depend on how much lyrics Axl will write to fill it all in. I don't want to jump to conclusions based in the NITL singles though, as those were all CD era lyrics anyways.

I like your positive post and why not? One day, we will.be surprised....there's never gonna be that announce early and lead up release.again, Axl will never let that happen....when/if this record comes....it'll probably be a very short lead-in or a surprise release even...

If it's quality material, it could be the best thing, the element of surprise and getting something we don't expect AND with no expectations 

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

I like your positive post and why not? One day, we will.be surprised....there's never gonna be that announce early and lead up release.again, Axl will never let that happen....when/if this record comes....it'll probably be a very short lead-in or a surprise release even...

If it's quality material, it could be the best thing, the element of surprise and getting something we don't expect AND with no expectations 

It’s all about their schedule too. This year off could be exactly the moment for Axl to properly write his parts and record at least initial voices tracks. 

The problem, as always, is to release it.