2023 HIGHLIGHTS

2023 HIGHLIGHTS  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, DSTK said:

Problem is ,it was the worst pro shot since Rio 2011...the sound that the BBC gave us was pathetic for a good setlist, the flac & mp4 downloads are pretty poor....listen to Rocket Queen 

Lol, I actually think the complete opposite, for me it's the best pro shot since Rock am Ring 2006

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DSTK said:

Problem is ,it was the worst pro shot since Rio 2011...the sound that the BBC gave us was pathetic for a good setlist, the flac & mp4 downloads are pretty poor....listen to Rocket Queen 

Whoever mixed it did Axl plenty of favours on Rocket Queen :lol:

It's Monsters. 

See, they were on the right track with Perhaps. Yes, there was the jukebox fuckup, but that was minimal. The release was good and the video excellent. But then they fucked up again. The announced vinyl and specifically it being backed with The General was shocking and awesome. But they waited too long with the vinyl. And then the pressing went wrong and got delayed. We can only guess why. But that must've seriously pissed someone off, because while GnR was sort of on the right track, they leaked The General and Monsters. A slap in the face of GnR if you ask me. A well-deserved result of their fucking up again. Not only did we hear The General before it's release (not hearing a gnr song until its release is something that hasn't happened since 2008), it got us the still unreleased Monsters. One of the best CD era tracks we've heard if you ask me. I like how GnR got it shoved in their faces because of their own messups, but I love the song even more. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

The leak of The General / Monsters after thinking we'd be waiting another 6 weeks or whatever for The General.

This thread is making me want to go to another gig! This is the first time in years that there is no upcoming gigs right?

You'll have to settle for Duff Beer & Old Slasher for the foreseeable...

Definitely the setlists in 2023. My first time hearing PTU, Bad Obsession, DOTF, Anything Goes, Locomotive, Prostitute, and, most important of all, TWAT live. Perhaps was pretty good live as well, at least at the Seattle show I went to, though I prefer the Village leak to the released version. Music video was nice. The General doesn't really do much for me and I prefer (what I can hear) of the Bucket/Finck version of Monsters from the Vienna afterparty phone recording, would love to hear the full version of that one day. Definitely the most exciting year for GNR since 2019 and the Village leaks, which itself was the most exciting year since 2016.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Amir said:

Definitely the setlists in 2023. My first time hearing PTU, Bad Obsession, DOTF, Anything Goes, Locomotive, Prostitute, and, most important of all, TWAT live. Perhaps was pretty good live as well, at least at the Seattle show I went to, though I prefer the Village leak to the released version. Music video was nice. The General doesn't really do much for me and I prefer (what I can hear) of the Bucket/Finck version of Monsters from the Vienna afterparty phone recording, would love to hear the full version of that one day. Definitely the most exciting year for GNR since 2019 and the Village leaks, which itself was the most exciting year since 2016.

It's like every 3 (or so) years we get something exciting...😝

• GNFNR 1

"Monsters" leak, easily my favorite.

Also:

"The General" finally seeing the light of day. I like the track and honestly think some of the backlash is because these songs have taken on mythic quality that they can't possibly live up to. And honestly, that's no fault of the band's. Axl recorded it, shelved it, but the title got out and we all got our panties twisted up over what the mysterious "General" could be. 

"Perhaps" was great too - happy to see a GNR track get good traction in the press.

Didn't see any shows, so can't really comment there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I like the track and honestly think some of the backlash is because these songs have taken on mythic quality that they can't possibly live up to. And honestly, that's no fault of the band's. Axl recorded it, shelved it, but the title got out and we all got our panties twisted up over what the mysterious "General" could be.

I've seen a lot of people says things like this and honestly, it's bullshit. Soul Monster was definitely the most 'mythical' song after The General, and most here seem to think it lived up to the hype - it's a great song. The General just isn't very interesting though, it's another very repetitive, simple song, with production that does it no favours. But even as a simplified Slash/Duff version with NITL production, Monsters is awesome, there's a big jump in quality between it and the other singles.

Seven, Cuban Skies, etc. might also be repetitive and mediocre... but we know he's got songs like Monsters and SOG up his sleeve, it's weird that they keep releasing weaker songs :shrugs:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

CD has various styles, but the quality is pretty consistent aside from a couple songs. There's nothing as bad and repetitive as Absurd on there...

From what we've heard vs what's been released, it does seem like we're just getting leftovers or bonus tracks. Monsters, Going Down and SOG were all CD-level songs, Perhaps was good but needed another verse, and Atlas has potential... the others are b-sides at best.

I'm not trying to compare the quality ot Chinese as an album to what has been leaked and released since then. the point I think is that 1 Chinese song doesn't represent the overall style of Chinese era well cause it's varied in style so maybe if we had the full second half of Chinese, you wouldn't think it was as good but it's just another part of this 1 big project which was the double album origianlly.

Axl doesn't seem to release them by any particular order, just maybe that he might think some go well together as a unit

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I'm not trying to compare the quality ot Chinese as an album to what has been leaked and released since then. the point I think is that 1 Chinese song doesn't represent the overall style of Chinese era well cause it's varied in style so maybe if we had the full second half of Chinese, you wouldn't think it was as good but it's just another part of this 1 big project which was the double album origianlly.

Axl doesn't seem to release them by any particular order, just maybe that he might think some go well together as a unit

It's not about style, we agree that CD has plenty of styles and influences, but the singles feel unfinished. Silkworms was never a great song but at least it had a decent structure, then they re-structured it into Absurd and repeated the same verse throughout the song. It's boring, and nothing on CD feels as half-baked as the singles.

Hardschool is on the same level as Scraped or Rhiad but the production brings it down. Perhaps could've been a great song but it doesn't go anywhere. Maybe they would've worked better in the context of CD2 but I can only judge them as leaks or standalone releases because that's all they are.

• Like 1

The Perhaps Jukebox leak was one of the most hilarious things that has ever happened. So I enjoyed that tremendously. 

Finally, Finally getting to hear The General and Soul Monster was amazing beyond comprehension. 

• Like 2

While Monsters is great (wasn’t released, though) and the setlist changes as well, plus we got Perhaps finally with a proper video, I think 2023 was on a par with 2019. Because if I’m not mistaken, within that same year we got the House of Blues 2001 pro-shot, the Saskatoon 1993 pro-shot, the whole Village leaks business, and two deep-cuts live (Loco, DH) on top of that. 

• GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, Arnuld said:

The Perhaps Jukebox leak was one of the most hilarious things that has ever happened. So I enjoyed that tremendously. 

Finally, Finally getting to hear The General and Soul Monster was amazing beyond comprehension. 

To be a fly on the phone when Fernando had to got on the blower to Touch Tunes and be like "You need to take that shit down

...." 🫣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

While Monsters is great (wasn’t released, though) and the setlist changes as well, plus we got Perhaps finally with a proper video, I think 2023 was on a par with 2019. Because if I’m not mistaken, within that same year we got the House of Blues 2001 pro-shot, the Saskatoon 1993 pro-shot, the whole Village leaks business, and two deep-cuts live (Loco, DH) on top of that. 

Thought that all was 2018 dude?

7 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea, the proshots I bolded...that's what I was referring to...👍

In any case, I hope one of the 2024 highlights will be Monsters released, e.g. with Atlas as the B-side, and ideally with a proper video. Imagine that. I wonder whether Axl will ever do some story-driven video again. It doesn't have to be anything big, like the UYI video trilogy, just something smaller, like The Garden, with just a simple topic or something, Idk. 
Anyway, I'm derailing the thread here. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

In any case, I hope one of the 2024 highlights will be Monsters released, e.g. with Atlas as the B-side, and ideally with a proper video. Imagine that. I wonder whether Axl will ever do some story-driven video again. It doesn't have to be anything big, like the UYI video trilogy, just something smaller, like The Garden, with just a simple topic or something, Idk. 
Anyway, I'm derailing the thread here. :) 

Not at all...a thread is like a track, you don't need to stay on it ...😸

• Like 1