The General Music Video Discussion Thread

For some reason The General video reminded me of this trippy Sabbath video. Except of course this was made by humans.

There are parts that I like in The General video, some interesting ideas, but it's somewhat hard to watch because of all the flickering images. I like that it's like weird trippy dream/nightmare but it gives me some motion sickness. I think they should have use way less AI. Maybe every once in a while but not almost whole video where it becomes jarring to watch. A lot of it don't make sense. And I don't know what's going on the Sabbath video either but at least it's more entertaining and more interesting to watch.

Edited by tboneman
  • Like 1

I guess you get what you pay for. 

But just chasing an AI trend for a type of video that has already been (over)done by whoever on yourube...

Have some standards. Go get Michel Gondry or some cool up and coming artist, pay them and do something that 15 year old kids hasn't already been doing.

Like The Beatles, who like 50 years after they heyday actually brought in an artist to do a music video:

Artist and director Em Cooper explored the space between dreaming and wakefulness, working on an animation rostrum on sheets of celluloid. She painted every frame individually in oil-paint, a labourious process which took many months. 

But I guess garishness and Guns N Roses goes hand in hand.

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Underhardy said:

Reddit mods 100% have TB ties. Just like Jarmo in the old days. They protect the band/Axl by censoring half the sub

5 hours ago, Uncle Bob said:

I posted "this is horrible" like half an hour ago and they deleted it. Do they wanna live in a bubble where the only thing they get is acceptance?

They finally let comments be visible

https://old.reddit.com/r/GunsNRoses/comments/19elxty/guns_n_roses_the_general_official_music_video/

but if you go to the new version of reddit, you can see the moderators deleted the post itself from the subreddit

https://new.reddit.com/r/GunsNRoses/comments/19elxty/guns_n_roses_the_general_official_music_video/

• Confused 1

Very rare 99.9% of this forum agrees on something. But everyone thinks this is absolute trash it seems. i think that's harsh. it's just very plain and offers nothing story wise and no effort at all from the band. Disappointing, but I'd be in the camp that this is better than nothing. but only just

Edited by JimiRose

3 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Very rare 99.9% of this forum agrees on something. But everyone thinks this is absolute trash it seems. i think that's harsh. it's just very plain and offers nothing story wise and no effort at all from the band. Disappointing, but I'd be in the camp that this is better than nothing. but only just

Hmmm? There's been quite many posts from people here saying they like it. They just get buried in posts from people who feel the need to repeatedly tell us much they don't like it :lol: If I were to guess I'd say maybe 20% are somewhat positive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

They finally let comments be visible

https://old.reddit.com/r/GunsNRoses/comments/19elxty/guns_n_roses_the_general_official_music_video/

but if you go to the new version of reddit, you can see the moderators deleted the post itself from the subreddit

https://new.reddit.com/r/GunsNRoses/comments/19elxty/guns_n_roses_the_general_official_music_video/

Someone should make a new thread lol. 

Very lame of them to try to censor stuff. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Hmmm? There's been quite many posts from people here saying they like it. They just get buried in posts from people who feel the need to repeatedly tell us much they don't like it :lol: If I were to guess I'd say maybe 20% are somewhat positive.

Like you who feel the need to repeatedly tell us via walls of text how much effort was put into this, what a bold move it is, or that you had to watch it 5 times to like it? Sure

• ABSUЯD 1

7 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Been like that a while....thought Reddit used to be about community free speech...now it's a censorship speak easy! 

I'm pretty sure you are free to start whatever Guns N Roses centric page on reddit you want and have whatever community free speech you feel like.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Maybe don't take things so literally. If we were having this conversation face-to-face, you'd know what I was inferring. People are saying that they want more. What is more? Bigger budget, more 'effort', that, basically.

There are multiple comments saying it's "lazy" or there's a lack of "effort", the band is "too lazy to make videos", "known for great videos...not even trying", and there is one saying they could all film something together in "a studio" – the comments of people expecting more are on every single page.

As for the views, it's YouTube – are people watching those (talking of other artists, not GN'R), or are they using the videos to listen to the song? Casting to their TV or speakers in their homes? It's a bit of a grey area that nobody can verify. It does happen.

You seem awfully angry with me 😂 It's only a music video, I haven't hurt you, I'm not worth you getting so wound up

Yes, donkey, people are watching the videos as well as listening to them, the same way they always did with music videos. It’s a dual medium. If people weren’t watching them they wouldn’t be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year making them. They’d just put the audio up. But by all means, keep defending your ludicrous position that music videos are a “dead medium” - it’s very amusing.

Perhaps you could take a poll of the billions of viewers and ask them did they watch or listen to the video and come back and report your findings to us? I’m sure the results would be fascinating. 

I don’t know where you're coming from with this, are you like 80 years old? Or have you been in a coma since the 90’s and just woken up? Or perhaps you’re talking out of your ass again? :shrugs:

Look at the time, money, and effort, that went into Rammstein’s Deutschland, it’s more epic and expensive than any video Guns N Roses ever did at the height of the MTV era and it came out 4 years ago (It currently has 351M views). Do you think they made it just for shits and giggles? So someone can listen to it through their stereo at home? And they can throw millions of dollars down the toilet?

Get a grip of yourself, you’re talking absolute nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Like you who feel the need to repeatedly tell us via walls of text how much effort was put into this, what a bold move it is, or that you had to watch it 5 times to like it? Sure

That was a general discussion on AI before the video had been released and your responses contained way much more text than mine.

I never said I had to watch it five time before I liked it, this is just you being either an asshole or not able to understand.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That was a general discussion on AI before the video had been released and your responses contained way much more text than mine.

I never said I had to watch it five time before I liked it, this is just you being either an asshole or not able to understand.

My responses? You mean those written by an AI?

You were feeling the need to justify the use of AI before watching the video, complaining about people judging the video before watching it while saying very good things about it before watching it yourself. Now you may not write so many walls of text but this thread is filled with you saying pretty much what I said, and yes, you said "I've seen it 5 times and now I like it".

Comments complaining about how shitty, pitiful and unprofessional is for a huge band to deliver this are more needed for people to open their eyes, unless they want to live in a bubble.

Edited by Uncle Bob

6 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

My responses? You mean those written by an AI?

You were feeling the need to justify the use of AI before watching the video, complaining about people judging the video before watching it while saying very good things about it before watching it yourself. Now you may not write so many walls of text but this thread is filled with you saying pretty much what I said, and yes, you said "I've seen it 5 times and now I like it".

Comments complaining about how shitty, pitiful and unprofessional is for a huge band to deliver this are more needed for people to open their eyes, unless they want to live in a bubble.

Do you understand the semantic difference between what I actually wrote, which was "I have seen it 5 times now and I like it," and what you claim I wrote "I've seen it 5 times and now I like it"? Read it again if you don't get it.

Do I have to excuse the fact that I wanted to share my opinions on AI? "Feeling the need"? Poor you, having to read someone defending something you don't like. And no, I didn't say anything about the video itself before it was released, I talked about AI in general. I was one of few who reserved judgment on the video itself until it was actually out there. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Do you understand the semantic difference between what I actually wrote, which was "I have seen it 5 times now and I like it," and what you claim I wrote "I've seen it 5 times and now I like it"? Read it again if you don't get it.

Do I have to excuse the fact that I wanted to share my opinions on AI? "Feeling the need"? Poor you, having to read someone defending something you don't like. And no, I didn't say anything about the video itself before it was released, I talked about AI in general. I was one of few who reserved judgment on the video itself until it was actually out there. 

Gotta say, that's even more weird, liking that and watching it 5 times, but each to their own.

No, honestly I don't think anybody would read those unnecessary walls of text.

Ok, you're right on that, you didn't judge the video back then but still put effort into justifying the use of AI. And now you seem to complaing about people being vocal on this being crap while at the same time you have been very vocal on supporting this.

30 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Gotta say, that's even more weird, liking that and watching it 5 times, but each to their own.

No, honestly I don't think anybody would read those unnecessary walls of text.

Ok, you're right on that, you didn't judge the video back then but still put effort into justifying the use of AI. And now you seem to complaing about people being vocal on this being crap while at the same time you have been very vocal on supporting this.

Given that someone likes a music video, you still find it weird they would see that video numerous times? How odd. It is what people who like videos, do. It follows naturally from enjoying something - you want to do more of it. Besides, that video is a cornucopia of details. I see something new each time, in almost every scene.

Don't be surprised by me putting effort into discussing anything. There is practically no limit to how engaged I can get in a topic, no matter how irrelevant or meaningless. As for complaining about people who complain: Really, have I done that? I couldn't give two shit what other people think, it is all subjective and the most boring thing I know of are discussions where people argue over subjective preferences. Like the recent thread where people got their panties in a twist because some magazine dared to present a list of the best GN'R songs that didn't perfectly align with their own opinions. Again, I couldn't care less what you or anyone else think of the video. But I do care about why people like or don't like the video, and why people welcome AI or are so afraid of AI. But that are different topics.

What I did do, though, was to point out that those who don't like the song keeps repeating that over and over again thus burying the positive posts, as both a friendly jab and as a somewhat puzzling observation. Why is it that people who are negative about a subject insist on claiming their subjective opinion is somehow objective (at least 5 posts showing this phenomenon in this thread), seek validation from authority figures ("Axl can't possibly have okayed this!" "This means Axl can't have been involved!" Just paraphrasing, obviously...) and a need to repeat their opinion over and over as if it then automagically goes from being a subjective opinion to become a fact? Are they so insecure with their opinions? And again, I am not pointing this out to complain about it, or to mock those who do, but because it fascinates and puzzles me. Those who like the video take a much more subtle approach by simply just stating it, and usually saying it is just their opinion. Why this difference? 

Edited by SoulMonster

This thread has probably put more time, effort and thought into the video than anyone involved in it. 

Like the terrible production and mix of the song itself, it's kind of sad how little Axl seems to care about how something is released now.

Maybe that lack of care could see more things being released though.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DingBat said:

Yes, donkey, people are watching the videos as well as listening to them, the same way they always did with music videos. It’s a dual medium. If people weren’t watching them they wouldn’t be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year making them. They’d just put the audio up. But by all means, keep defending your ludicrous position that music videos are a “dead medium” - it’s very amusing.

Perhaps you could take a poll of the billions of viewers and ask them did they watch or listen to the video and come back and report your findings to us? I’m sure the results would be fascinating. 

I don’t know where you're coming from with this, are you like 80 years old? Or have you been in a coma since the 90’s and just woken up? Or perhaps you’re talking out of your ass again? :shrugs:

Look at the time, money, and effort, that went into Rammstein’s Deutschland, it’s more epic and expensive than any video Guns N Roses ever did at the height of the MTV era and it came out 4 years ago (It currently has 351M views). Do you think they made it just for shits and giggles? So someone can listen to it through their stereo at home? And they can throw millions of dollars down the toilet?

Get a grip of yourself, you’re talking absolute nonsense.

Personal insults. Cool.

• Like 1