Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era lineup

Slash appears to be finally warming to the idea of a reunion with Axl Rose after he said "never say never" in a live television interview.

The guitarist has long distanced himself from any talk of returning to Guns N' Roses – the band he joined in 1985 and left in 1996 after helping them become one of the biggest groups in the world.

Slash recently said he was sick of being asked about the possibility of a reunion of the classic lineup, but today told CBS News that much of animosity between himself and the singer has dissipated.

He says: "I got to be careful what I say there, I mean, if everybody wanted to do it and do it for the right reasons, I think the fans would love it. I think it might be fun at some point to try and do that. Never say never."

He adds: "There's no animosity. Over time we all just got sick and tired of the black cloud. The biggest thing that happens when you have a break up that is less than harmonious, you build up a bad energy because of the distance. The bad feelings get exaggerated."

Rose still fronts GNR and is the only remaining member from the classic-era lineup.Bass player Duff McKagan rejoined GNR for a number of dates last year and latersaid he wouldn't rule out a return to the band on a full-time basis.

Meanwhile, Slash debuted the video for his track Beneath The Savage Sun on CBS today. It is taken from World On Fire, the latest album by Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy And The Conspirators.

The song was written to highlight the plight of wild elephants and the video is described as a stark imagining of the issue. The video was created with the input ofcharity IFAW (International Fund For Animal Welfare).

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-05-07/slash-gnr-reunion-might-be-fun

• Like 2

"There's no animosity. Over time we all just got sick and tired of the black cloud. The biggest thing that happens when you have a break up that is less than harmonious, you build up a bad energy because of the distance. The bad feelings get exaggerated."

It almost seems that Axl and Slash might've been in some kind of contact with each other.

• Like 1

My dream ...

"Guns N'Roses Reunion 2017"

30 Years of Destruction

Could be possible with Duff and Izzy on good terms with Axl maybe eventually Duff will try to pull it all together. :)

• Like 1

I think it will happen, it's probably just a matter of Slash being off the road for a period of time, which seems to be the biggest road block at the moment. But I would say clearly Axl and Duff have talked, and obviously Izzy as well. And I bet Duff has talked with Slash about, so it's more or less just getting Axl and Slash together at this point. Which I do think will happen at some point in the future, especially now that nugnr are pretty much done.

Not to get all "reunion crazy" but I was thinking the other day that if it does happen, I think they should do 2 more albums. The first should be a rehash of songs they have done seperatly, but do them as guns songs now. Aerosmith did that with Let The Music Do The Talking, that was originally a Joe Perry solo song. But you can redo TWAT, This I Love, Fall to pieces, Slither, and a few others, but do them in gnr style. Even though it would be already released material, I think it would be an amazing album and a great way to get them working together again, because it would almost be like cover songs for everybody at that point. They could also finish up some of the illusion leftovers like bring it back home, I love that song. Then go out and tour behind it. Then if everyone doesn't hate each other, then go back in the studio and have everyone bring a few songs they have been holding on to, like Axls 's leftovers, and complete them as a band. Release that album and then call it a day, if be happy with that.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 3

"There's no animosity. Over time we all just got sick and tired of the black cloud. The biggest thing that happens when you have a break up that is less than harmonious, you build up a bad energy because of the distance. The bad feelings get exaggerated."

It almost seems that Axl and Slash might've been in some kind of contact with each other.

Not at all. And I don't think Slash is just being nice. I've always said this is exactly how Slash feels. He has no ill feelings about Axl or the band. I'm sure he's angry at times how things turned out, but he was the adult and got over it. He's done countless other projects since then and truly moved on from the band. Like any old band, he sits there and says "yeah it would be great to do that again sometime" but that ball is not in his court. Its in Axl's. So there's not much else he can say to further a reunion. And what you quoted right there is exactly how I always thought he felt. He's not the problem, and he's not lying, and he's not just being nice. He's just being a mature adult. He says the same things the other do about GNR but just cause he's Slash people read it differently.

If Azoff couldn't pull it off, I don't think anyone could.

It isn't time. IMO the time has passed, because I don't think Axl could sing it well anymore, but the time comes when they are all free and most importantly that NewGNR has been dead on hiatus for a long time. That was the case around 02-06 but it was still way too fresh and Axl was working towards somethings new. Then there was 07-09 but Chinese kind of had to come out first. Since the album has, its been pretty constant touring. If we hear nothing from the GNR camp in a year about their current activities, that would be interesting to me. I don't think it will happen, but I think thats the kind of opportunity you need. Not really about who could pull it together. Its about them all being free and nostalgic and having ample time to contact each other that I think is the key.

• Like 2

Not at all. And I don't think Slash is just being nice. I've always said this is exactly how Slash feels. He has no ill feelings about Axl or the band. I'm sure he's angry at times how things turned out, but he was the adult and got over it. He's done countless other projects since then and truly moved on from the band. Like any old band, he sits there and says "yeah it would be great to do that again sometime" but that ball is not in his court. Its in Axl's. So there's not much else he can say to further a reunion. And what you quoted right there is exactly how I always thought he felt. He's not the problem, and he's not lying, and he's not just being nice. He's just being a mature adult. He says the same things the other do about GNR but just cause he's Slash people read it differently.

He just needs to say one more thing: "I'm sorry" ...

I'm not saying that Axl shouldn't ask him for sorry too, but ... by asking for sorry, Slash would show that he is not only an adult ... he is an adult that can admit his own mistakes ... If he ever do this, he will be 3 steps above Axl on this feud.

I think it will happen, it's probably just a matter of Slash being off the road for a period of time, which seems to be the biggest road block at the moment. But I would say clearly Axl and Duff have talked, and obviously Izzy as well. And I bet Duff has talked with Slash about, so it's more or less just getting Axl and Slash together at this point. Which I do think will happen at some point in the future, especially now that nugnr are pretty much done.

Not to get all "reunion crazy" but I was thinking the other day that if it does happen, I think they should do 2 more albums. The first should be a rehash of songs they have done seperatly, but do them as guns songs now. Aerosmith did that with Let The Music Do The Talking, that was originally a Joe Perry solo song. But you can redo TWAT, This I Love, Fall to pieces, Slither, and a few others, but do them in gnr style. Even though it would be already released material, I think it would be an amazing album and a great way to get them working together again, because it would almost be like cover songs for everybody at that point. They could also finish up some of the illusion leftovers like bring it back home, I love that song. Then go out and tour behind it. Then if everyone doesn't hate each other, then go back in the studio and have everyone bring a few songs they have been holding on to, like Axls 's leftovers, and complete them as a band. Release that album and then call it a day, if be happy with that.

I absolutely don't think a reunion would happen, but its fun to think about. I can maybe see them doing an EP or an album and one arena tour

Edited by ZoSoRose

Definitely.

Duff did this I'd swear.

Slash wouldn't speak for Axl like this now, "we all just got sick of the black cloud"....if Axl didn't agree to this, expect a pretty rotten fucking rebuff from Axl in the coming days!

Even if its true, I think a reunion is a whole other thing entirely. Firstly, could Axl stand the pressure of expectation?

His role is so physical in GNR, his vocal chops ain't got it anymore but expectations of the old band back together would be off the charts.

He could blow up and retreat.

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 1

It does sound like that. Especially the "we all" -part indicates that they might have been talking to each other.

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1

I've always figured the apocalypse was more likely than a reunion, but now I can't help but feel like it might actually happen at some point. Axl seems to have no interest in new music anymore, the hunger of driving the new band has long passed, and the current hiatus shows that nothing is on the cards. As his voice continues to decline, it seems like if he was ever going to truly entertain the idea of a reunion, it would be now. Duff makes things more likely than ever, and we always knew Slash would be down.

I just think if there's no animosity they will start thinking what have we been doing, why not?

They done all the kid stuff now and just need to haul in cash and glory. Seems the perfect way. Go out on top, even just for a tour.

It won't be a real reunion without biker shorts or a kilt ...

Nobody needs to see a 53 year old man wearing that.

I almost forgot ... a reunion needs Tracey and Roberta ... I don't care if they are 50 too. :headbang: