China Exchange: 60 Minutes with Axl Rose

16 minutes ago, ACP said:

That sounds cool, sorry I'm new to this forum and didn't know we discussed things elsewhere. I just wanted to know because she was there during the discussion with Beta.  The guy with the moustache (to her left in the above picture) was a right grouch - didn't lie him at all!

That's ok.

From the homepage you can see there sections and subforums for other topics that are not strictly GN'R the current band and news. This is because then topics get derailed and people who want to read about it get mad when the subject changes abruptly.

We created a thread for women in The Jungle section (not sure its the correct one but there it is) so we don't derail the Social Media thread and we can gossip freely, talk about different topics and avoid fighting with the guys here (which are majority).

Feel free to stop by our thread whenever you want :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wasted said:

DC just have a more feelgood rocking set. I watched a few vids. Civil War with Slash recently and it was good. Nightrain with Bucket was pure danger. Then Highway to Hell was just so awesome it's hard to reslly describe it. Guns just don't have as many straight ass kicking songs. Jungle, YCBM, Chi dem. mostly they have a bunch of ballads. They could probably put together a ACDC style setlist but all these songs like Nov rain, Don't cry, Patience, Civil War, Estranged, This I Love just aren't as badass as Hell's Bells, Shoot to thrill, Highway to Hell. 

I've been watching the Highway to Hell vids w/Axl repeatedly. You're right; its hard to fathom how awesome it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He doesn't resent Appetite; he never did. On the contrary, he's said it's perfect

He was just being humble. It's the same as when a site voted him as the best singer and he said that there loads of better singers than him.

Axl wanted each album to stand on its own, that's just the artist mindset of not wanting to repeat. 

I'm surprised the question of GNR playing in China didn't come up. 

The way Axl spoke about a new Guns N' Roses album felt really weird, as if there is a possibility Slash wouldn't play on new Guns N' Roses material. It's like when divorced parents start dating again, but they have to temper the kid's expectations. 

It it can be heard as dictator Axl maintaining his control over GNR, but very possibly he isn't presuming Slash's involvement in anything and speaking for Slash to get anyone's hopes up unnecessarily. Like the child of those parents, we woke up with Mom and Dad in the kitchen drinking coffee and sharing coquettish smiles, wondering how long the dream lasts.

35 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

The way Axl spoke about a new Guns N' Roses album felt really weird, as if there is a possibility Slash wouldn't play on new Guns N' Roses material. It's like when divorced parents start dating again, but they have to temper the kid's expectations. 

It it can be heard as dictator Axl maintaining his control over GNR, but very possibly he isn't presuming Slash's involvement in anything and speaking for Slash to get anyone's hopes up unnecessarily. Like the child of those parents, we woke up with Mom and Dad in the kitchen drinking coffee and sharing coquettish smiles, wondering how long the dream lasts.

Yeah, I'm not sure how to take that. He said he wants to put out new music, and if Slash wants to play on it, that's cool... Did he just state it weird? Meaning CD2, but we ain't writing shit together?

5 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I would prefer it if they released CD2 with Bucket / Robin without Slash. 

Then record original material with Slash and Duff when the time is right. But right now, the fence is still being mended and that way fans get new music and the original artists' contributions are honored.

Unfortunately he dropped the "soon isn't the word" quote again. :-\

I would also be completely fine with that. I think the casual fans would be confused as hell if they bought the new GnR album, after seeing Slash & Duff back in the band in '16, to discover they aren't on it... Oh well- fuck it.

Just fuckin give us something Axl...

24 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how to take that. He said he wants to put out new music, and if Slash wants to play on it, that's cool... Did he just state it weird? Meaning CD2, but we ain't writing shit together?

I think he said later on another question "if Slash wants to write or work on something..."

8 hours ago, killuridols said:

I hate the ballads with the exception of Estranged, which I don't consider ballad.

I wish Axl would stop including This I Love in the set list. It's a downer for a rock show.

For me it's Don't Cry. But that's just personal taste. I'm not saying one particular is a problem or that they play too many, just it's a different show to DC which is just make you feel like a badass the whole show.

Axl in DC crystalized to me that Slash isn't Angus, he hasn't written a raft a badass rockers so the show isn't like that. Guns hits are spread wide from Jungle to Patience to Nov Rain. So AFD fans going to GNR show feeling badasses get This I Love and Don't Cry, might be great but it doesn't have the feelgood factor that DC shows have. Theyve got Jungle, Nightrain, YCBM as sheer rocking songs. Also the fans aren't judging Axl on his songs in GNR, it's just ACDC classic after classic. 

9 hours ago, wasted said:

DC just have a more feelgood rocking set.

Guns just don't have as many straight ass kicking songs. Jungle, YCBM, Chi dem. mostly they have a bunch of ballads.

That's just not true. AC/DC had to put out 17 albums (over twice as many) to compete with GN'R's catalog. You listed like 3 songs when there are so many more. And there aren't nearly that many "ballads".

Furthermore, there are numerous AC/DC albums with only 1 or 2 worthwhile tracks ... that's not the case with any GN'R release.

8 hours ago, Sprite said:

For me there is a time and place for ACDC's style of music. I love it, but after awhile the repetition really gets to me and I have to turn it off.

That's the thing. GN'R is a much more well-rounded, versatile and eclectic band. AC/DC is essentially a one trick pony. While they certainly have some great songs, their sound is basically the same on every single one of them. It's like having the same meal for dinner every single night. Some might enjoy that, but most enjoy at least a little bit of variety.

Edited by thunderram

26 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think he said later on another question "if Slash wants to write or work on something..."

Ok cool. I haven't listened to the whole thing. I read a summary on Ultimate Classic Rock or something, and it only gave the other quote... Hopefully they are open to collaboration...

13 minutes ago, wasted said:

For me it's Don't Cry. But that's just personal taste. I'm not saying one particular is a problem or that they play too many, just it's a different show to DC which is just make you feel like a badass the whole show.

Axl in DC crystalized to me that Slash isn't Angus, he hasn't written a raft a badass rockers so the show isn't like that. Guns hits are spread wide from Jungle to Patience to Nov Rain. So AFD fans going to GNR show feeling badasses get This I Love and Don't Cry, might be great but it doesn't have the feelgood factor that DC shows have. Theyve got Jungle, Nightrain, YCBM as sheer rocking songs. Also the fans aren't judging Axl on his songs in GNR, it's just ACDC classic after classic. 

The way Axl plays and sings November Rain now and of course, the addition of Slash and Duff has made it cool again for me. Before the reunion, I hated it and Axl always sounded weak on it.

I know what you mean. I feel the same. Its like punch punch all night long, which makes it a good plan to go out at night to see AXL/DC and actually have fun, bang heads, jump, dance, etc.

GN'R songs are more serious and some have really heavy deep lyrics. You need to put on a certain mood to appreciate them.

I got to give it another listen as I have only heard bits and pieces, but I took it as he has a lot of music ready and plans to release some music it's possible that Slash and Duff will make music with him as he has played them some stuff that they liked. I think it's really up to Slash and from what I have read and heard that's what he said

My guess is he plans to release CD2 just as DJ said they were planning to do and hopes to also release music with Slash and Duff as well.

Another thing I picked up on which brings me to DJ'S statements that Axl had wanted him to play some part in all this. I stand by saying he told the truth with it. Axl Clearly said he enjoyed the group he had or liked then which includes DJ.

Which brings me back to a possible hybrid CD. I know many assume Axl should just not release stuff he's worked on for years with these guys cause Slash and or Duff is back, but I think he will and should. Those guys stuck with him hoping for new music. Axl may want to reward that and their efforts and time with him. They deserve that. We all are happy Slash is back and hoping there's new music but I think a hybrid CD is what Axl is going for. I could be wrong. Maybe hybrid or two seperate.

It seems like it's up to rather Slash wants to record though.

Last thing that caught my attention was that he tried to make his vocals clearer or cleaner to which he feels fans didn't like. I happen to like CD but I wonder if that had a bearing on why we haven't heard CD2 yet.  I personally think many fans not all didn't give CD a fair shake because of the Axl/Slash rift. So many would comment on it would be better with Slash or this or that. Axl's vocals were good to me on them. 

Need to give another listen but maybe he means when certain fans say his voice sucks or sounds mickey. Many of us know he's using  cleaner clearer voice but he could be basing that on fans feedback idk.

59 minutes ago, thunderram said:

That's just not true. AC/DC had to put out 17 albums (over twice as many) to compete with GN'R's catalog. You listed like 3 songs when there are so many more. And there aren't nearly that many "ballads".

Furthermore, there are numerous AC/DC albums with only 1 or 2 worthwhile tracks ... that's not the case with any GN'R release.

That's the thing. GN'R is a much more well-rounded, versatile and eclectic band. AC/DC is essentially a one trick pony. While they certainly have some great songs, their sound is basically the same on every single one of them. It's like having the same meal for dinner every single night. Some might enjoy that, but most enjoy at least a little bit of variety.

Not sure what you are saying? I think you misunderstood what I was saying? Because I agree with what you are saying. 

But how versatile or efficient GNR are DC have a set of feelgood rockers. Look at the GNR hits /classics. They have a bunch of ballads. So Axl doesn't appear as overtly happy or awesome at the Guns show. 

Jingle

easy

brownstone

Sweet child of mine

PC

nightrain

Patience

ycbm

Don't Cry

November rain

Estranged

Civil War

Yesterdays

live n let die

Heaven's Door

Better

chindem

This I Love

Street of Dream

There's 8-9 ballads there. How many classic ballads do ACDC have?

I'm not even sure Guns can match DC for rockers. I'm not a DC expert but their Best of is wall to wall classic rockers, Heatseeker, TNT, Downpayment Blues, War Machine, Who Made Who - they keep the party going between Back in Black and Thinderstruck, Highway to Hell, Shoot to thrill. Whereas Guns have a load ballads, slowing down the show. 

41 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

I got to give it another listen as I have only heard bits and pieces, but I took it as he has a lot of music ready and plans to release some music it's possible that Slash and Duff will make music with him as he has played them some stuff that they liked. I think it's really up to Slash and from what I have read and heard that's what he said

My guess is he plans to release CD2 just as DJ said they were planning to do and hopes to also release music with Slash and Duff as well.

Another thing I picked up on which brings me to DJ'S statements that Axl had wanted him to play some part in all this. I stand by saying he told the truth with it. Axl Clearly said he enjoyed the group he had or liked then which includes DJ.

Which brings me back to a possible hybrid CD. I know many assume Axl should just not release stuff he's worked on for years with these guys cause Slash and or Duff is back, but I think he will and should. Those guys stuck with him hoping for new music. Axl may want to reward that and their efforts and time with him. They deserve that. We all are happy Slash is back and hoping there's new music but I think a hybrid CD is what Axl is going for. I could be wrong. Maybe hybrid or two seperate.

It seems like it's up to rather Slash wants to record though.

Last thing that caught my attention was that he tried to make his vocals clearer or cleaner to which he feels fans didn't like. I happen to like CD but I wonder if that had a bearing on why we haven't heard CD2 yet.  I personally think many fans not all didn't give CD a fair shake because of the Axl/Slash rift. So many would comment on it would be better with Slash or this or that. Axl's vocals were good to me on them. 

Need to give another listen but maybe he means when certain fans say his voice sucks or sounds mickey. Many of us know he's using  cleaner clearer voice but he could be basing that on fans feedback idk.

I think the vocals fit the songs, you don't sing like you've been gargling with razors on self righteous songs. 

I do wonder if Axl has a record, but he's waiting to see if Slash will play on it. It might be a deal with the label. Look Slash will do a full record later but can we put out CD II with him on a couple tracks first? Axl is holding cards in a political way now. If Slash leaves or decides not to work on Guns material, Axl is blameless to release CD 2 and no one can wah about it. But it seems so GNR to release an album with one guitarist and have another tour it. So Slash playing Ron solos on CD II isn't out of the realms of possibility. 

On 6/7/2016 at 3:47 PM, MillionsOfSpiders said:

He can't honestly enjoy playing CD more than WTTJ seriously, or nightrain, he goes mad on nightrain every time, I can't believe him. 

He is just f'n stubborn. The guy is trapped in how own strange little world.. He has to big of an ego to accept that the majority did not like, care or accept his vision.. He comes off as an egotistical ass ass in this interview.. I haven't watched it but from what I have read he does.. Everything about this reunion just seems so wrong. Does he really need to come out and call Slash a liar right now? Why feel the need to praise the CD line up right now? It's like he refuses to accept CD was a failure.. He has been promoting that pie of crap for 16 years.. Move on..  Accept it and appreciate it for what it was.. Move on...

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

Yes your right they all said this was their version and others may have different versions. I always looked at it as so many drugs and in one sentence we would get a story the next line would mention memory loss due to drugs. Who knows who was right about what. Axl however did say again he called Slash out on lies made during his book. To the fact he again brings that up now lends credence to it. Perhaps Slash's memory is bad due to drugs then and Slash even said Axl was not a junkie. Axl didn't do drugs like they did. Sure he did them but didn't have the nasty habit others had. His memory is more in tact. He also didn't make a book and divide fans based off things that may not be true or remembered correctly. 

Axl is a lot of things but in fans eyes it has always been his fault why Slash wasn't around or why this or that. Just like when it was said Slash came to his house. Rumors begun to spread about Slash reuniting then. Slash denied going there and saying things to avoid conflict with his band and Scott. It then led to Scott bashing Axl. Axl said he thought they were gonna end the war they had but then heard Slash again lie in public. Slash later admitted to being at Axl's not to dissing his band mates but still you get the point.

Axl's statement about the reunion was always there just never the right time is because of the books and stuff like above.

Axl likely wants vindication in the eyes of his fans or GnR fans who crucified him all these years. 

Daily I see people wonder on here if they will mention the rift and how they reunited well Axl did and bam he's still deemed the liar by many.

There are those who genuinely didn't like CD on a whole and those who snubbed it because Slash and others weren't on it. Those same people are calling it relevant now that Slash is playing some of the songs.

I however had no issues with either and the bands or songs they did seperately. I like the way Axl sings and I like the way Slash plays guitar. Sure I wanted them to do this together but I also can understand the artistic cripple this may have had on them mainly Axl. Noone bitched about who was singing with Slash at least not as much but they did slaughter Axl over his artistic stuff.  And many did it based off comments or a book or a side they took in a rift. Not all but many. Think about that. Yep he has every right for fans to know there were lies or misconceptions whatever they may be or not be.

Didnt Slash said He's drunk when He went to Axl's house, its written on His book. So maybe Slash didnt remember exactly wht happens N' maybe theres more story on it

39 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

Yes your right they all said this was their version and others may have different versions. I always looked at it as so many drugs and in one sentence we would get a story the next line would mention memory loss due to drugs. Who knows who was right about what. Axl however did say again he called Slash out on lies made during his book. To the fact he again brings that up now lends credence to it. Perhaps Slash's memory is bad due to drugs then and Slash even said Axl was not a junkie. Axl didn't do drugs like they did. Sure he did them but didn't have the nasty habit others had. His memory is more in tact. He also didn't make a book and divide fans based off things that may not be true or remembered correctly. 

Axl is a lot of things but in fans eyes it has always been his fault why Slash wasn't around or why this or that. Just like when it was said Slash came to his house. Rumors begun to spread about Slash reuniting then. Slash denied going there and saying things to avoid conflict with his band and Scott. It then led to Scott bashing Axl. Axl said he thought they were gonna end the war they had but then heard Slash again lie in public. Slash later admitted to being at Axl's not to dissing his band mates but still you get the point.

Axl's statement about the reunion was always there just never the right time is because of the books and stuff like above.

Axl likely wants vindication in the eyes of his fans or GnR fans who crucified him all these years. 

Daily I see people wonder on here if they will mention the rift and how they reunited well Axl did and bam he's still deemed the liar by many.

There are those who genuinely didn't like CD on a whole and those who snubbed it because Slash and others weren't on it. Those same people are calling it relevant now that Slash is playing some of the songs.

I however had no issues with either and the bands or songs they did seperately. I like the way Axl sings and I like the way Slash plays guitar. Sure I wanted them to do this together but I also can understand the artistic cripple this may have had on them mainly Axl. Noone bitched about who was singing with Slash at least not as much but they did slaughter Axl over his artistic stuff.  And many did it based off comments or a book or a side they took in a rift. Not all but many. Think about that. Yep he has every right for fans to know there were lies or misconceptions whatever they may be or not be.

What is interesting is that they still aren't resolved.

But Slash and Duff say they got over it. Izzy maybe is still scared of the whole situation? 

I think Slash sober and less surly and less married to a bitch, is easier to get along with business wise and the reunion tour helps Axl clear the air with the media/fans. 

Axl isn't the bad guy anymore. I think also the feud stuff was hurting Slash, or the reunion wants were. Like his solo record comes out and he's questioned about a reunion. Same with Axl, he's dogged by the reunion. The label wouldn't give him freedom. 

Axl letting them back while still having a problem with what Slash said shows he never wanted them to leave Guns. He just didn't understand why they left then were saying stuff to hurt him. And they kept repeating it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wasted said:

What is interesting is that they still aren't resolved.

But Slash and Duff say they got over it. Izzy maybe is still scared of the whole situation? 

I think Slash sober and less surly and less married to a bitch, is easier to get along with business wise and the reunion tour helps Axl clear the air with the media/fans. 

Axl isn't the bad guy anymore. I think also the feud stuff was hurting Slash, or the reunion wants were. Like his solo record comes out and he's questioned about a reunion. Same with Axl, he's dogged by the reunion. The label wouldn't give him freedom. 

Axl letting them back while still having a problem with what Slash said shows he never wanted them to leave Guns. He just didn't understand why they left then were saying stuff to hurt him. And they kept repeating it. 

Well said. 

They all were dogged by the reunion. I haven't seen many of the members have as much fall out other then Slash and Axl, mainly Axl with fans. 

The guy could probably play a video or recording and some would say not so.or lies. 

I tend to remember they both had issues. Looking back sure I'm sure things were done wrong in one's eyes on both sides Axl to his credit didn't write a book though.

I think it's a work in progress and Axl at one time felt Slash Harbored his creativity artisically. I can't remember his exact words on it but it was on the forums I believe. Axl is giving fans what they want but he also possibly wants vindication. They know fans are curious and many feel owed an explantion. Me I am happy they are working together and hope that with time they will work out any kinks left.

• Like 1

I think that in the end it didn't ruin Axl, they all survived. So as long as they are in GNR what's the difference if Axl feels like they made some stuff up. Slash can just say sorry that's how I saw it at the time. 

It reminds me of Crosby, Stills and Nash reunion when they were suing each other as they played the reunion shows. I'm glad the guys aren't throwing the baby out with the bath water over some legal wranglings over the name. 

Edited by wasted
Slash

On 6/9/2016 at 1:33 PM, Blackstar said:

He doesn't resent Appetite; he never did. On the contrary, he's said it's perfect

He was just being humble. It's the same as when a site voted him as the best singer and he said that there loads of better singers than him.

AFD was very collaborative. Naturally Axl would be more proud of his work on UYI and CD since he was more involved and hold them in higher regard

Edited by Top-Hatted One