What do you expect from a new album?

Setting aside the question *if* we will get a new album release, let's imagine they are going to release one. I think most people have come to terms with the realization that if a new album does arrive, it will most likely not be made by the classic line up. This poses the question:

What do you think is the chance you would be disappointed in a new album? Would you be happy if it contained 3-4 songs you liked?

What's especially interesting is with the current line up the musical direction is up in the air. What is the music going to sound like, what are they going to go for? (AFD? UYI? CD? Mixed?) Are they going to Frankenstein an album together from everyones songs, like they did with UYI? Is a double album imagineable considering the amount of songs in the vault?

I have faith in Slash composing great material with Richard, but if Steven doesn't contribute in some way then that's gonna be seriously disappointing to me, the guy deserves it. 

With Slash in the band one thing is for sure, the songs will be a lot more blues oriented and his songs won't stray far from what we last heard of him on WOF. Perhaps Richards input will impact his songs in some way still, just like Kushner did in VR. The fact remains Axl has a ton of songs sitting in the vault composed by people who are not Slash, are they going to be used? Is Slash even open to work on and release songs for a GNR album composed by Ashba and people who are not in the band? There is a lot to be answered

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

I expect some of the finished tunes Axl completed to be used with Slash and Duff modifications.

Fortus more prominent this time around.

New Axl tunes that Slash will add his guitars to

New Slash riffs Axl will use in some way

Bucket and Robin solos Axl will keep

No Steven

Old Slash riff and maybe even other old ideas from like 1996 that could turn into full songs

Duff will be used on all or some of the material, replace Tommy's work partly or entirely.

These are all realistic possibilities for me, but in general, I think it will be a hybrid of the old and the new, again like a big puzzle and Axl will bring back the rasp with Slash's guitar playing dominating the album.

It will be interesting to know which producer they will use. Clink could help make sure the Guns sound is there. (mainly to record Slash) Hard to say if Axl will keep it mainly Hard Rock or will use tunes like Shackler's if those exist. But he's good at figuring out what makes sense musically and thematically. My guess is tunes like Better with Slash reworking will be used if there are more in that style and what Slash cannot top will be used when it comes to guitar solos.

Edited by Rovim

I just hope they stay away from the CD's vault as much as possible. I think what Slash & Duff did with Better was a travesty. It's almost like they don't get what was really the band at that time when Slash is about to shred when playing Robin's lead and stuff.

"Some of the stuff Slash did that was the beginning of the seed of the song that's been around for a while." Richard Fortus in 2014

There must be like a good amounts of song from the '96 left, probably the track that was originally for the Jackie Chan movie etc. but I don't think Axl, Slash and Duff can get along in studio with new stuff. Both always record spontaneously but Axl simply don't.

Here's another part of the interview that I find very interesting:

"DJ [Ashba, GUNS N' ROSES guitarist] and I have worked on stuff… Nobody's worked on stuff with Ron ['Bumblefoot' Thal, GUNS N' ROSES guitarist].

"There's so much stuff that's recorded, there's so much stuff that was done. I mean, there's three albums' worth of material, easy…

"I know this week he's [GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose] recording a lot of stuff, vocally.

"That camp is very… I don't know why. It's just that they're very… Axl is very secretive. He doesn't want stuff getting out. He wants to create stuff and then release it when it's ready. Which I… I get it. He's also a bit of a perfectionist, as you can imagine.

"The way [Axl] generally works is that he doesn't wanna take an idea that DJ sent and… What he'll do is he'll take a little piece that I sent, he'll take a little piece that DJ sent on another track, and he's always done that. Back even with the 'Appetite [For Destruction]' stuff, he would take a little bit from this, a little bit from that, and then put it together. And when you listen to it, you can sort of hear it. When you listen to the tracks, you can hear that it's… Especially on 'Illusions' [the 'Use Your Illusion' albums], the opuses, [where] he took little bits from different people and put them together. He's got a real talent for that."

Edited by Silent Jay

Slash came up with his own solos, his own interpretations for the Chinese material. He came up with 2 solos for Better, 2 for Chinese, his own for This I Love, Catcher, and kept it closer to Bucket's for There Was A Time.

Axl puts it together like a musical puzzle. He does have a knack for that. Like he has a good instinct for what ideas fit with what he has already. And also, he doesn't do that alone. He has people in the studio. Bumble and Fortus mentioned it. Fortus recently with how he came up with the chorus for Better, and Bumble said he had 2 guys listening in real time and telling him what was good as he was improvising his ideas on headphones and recording his leads.

It seems like Axl directs it and lets everyone write and record, adding to his tunes or just coming up with their own ideas and then he listens to all of it and picks and chooses what he likes, turning it to songs he can actually use.

Very different to Slash's process. I'm guessing Slash will just go into a studio, do his thing, record many ideas and Axl will listen to it and put it together and then mix it with what he already completed. It will probably take years. Duff could be used to arrange some material, perhaps working on new ideas mainly but also old ones. He knows how to make it flow better and identify what the most logical musical direction of a Guns tune is.

Edited by Rovim

I want no new album

just release the Troubadour Blu Ray + Bonus

and release a big Not In This Life... Tour Blu Ray with the best life perfomance of each song sorted in a typical setlist

and close the chapter

I am very sceptical about new music or new album. I don't think so

I'd love to get a straight bluesy rock n roll album with two or three Axl piano songs. Just goin' simple for rock n roll and not trying to be a teenage band like Slash and Duff did with Velvet Revolver. They already got their shit , they don't really need to sell out to captivate 13 years old emo kids that listen to fuckin avenged se foderem or askenga do alexandre. 

• Like 1

They are over their prime as songwriters so don't expect anything like AFD or UYI quality. And I suppose chances are it's going to disappoint a lot of people because the suspense of the Axl-Slash-Duff combo that took over 25 years to happen will be impossible to live up to. If that makes any sense.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

Slash may not have a problem with playing CD songs for the tour, but I don't think he would want to be part of a GnR album written (entirely or in most part) by former NewGnR members; or to be one of 5-6 guitarists playing on it, with Axl saying "let's take this Slash riff and patch it with Bumblefoot riff from DAT tape N. 23456". He'd probably be willing to do an album consisting of brand new songs written by the current band and/or built upon 1995-96 material, Axl's songs/ballads from the vault and maybe a couple of tunes written by others (and reworked by the current lineup).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash may not have a problem with playing CD songs for the tour, but I don't think he would want to be part of a GnR album written (entirely or in most part) by former NewGnR members; or to be one of 5-6 guitarists playing on it, with Axl saying "let's take this Slash riff and patch it with Bumblefoot riff from DAT tape N. 23456". He'd probably willing to do an album that consisting of brand new songs written by the current band and/or built upon 1995-96 material, Axl's songs/ballads from the vault and maybe a couple of tunes written by others (and reworked by the current lineup).

Maybe, but I'm hoping the chance to put his mark on another Guns album after 20 years will make him do it. If you take Bucket for example, he came pretty late to the party but still managed to get 3 tunes in there and his playing is all over the album. He made a big difference. Slash was always the sound of Gn'R, or at least a big part of it. Something is better than nothing.

Will he agree to only tour with Guns and for example only play live material Axl releases if he chooses to release old unreleased tunes? that seems worse for Slash in a way.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

They are over their prime as songwriters so don't expect anything like AFD or UYI quality. And I suppose chances are it's going to disappoint a lot of people because the suspense of the Axl-Slash-Duff combo that took over 25 years to happen will be impossible to live up to. If that makes any sense.

I don't necessarily agree with that in the case of Slash, for me World On Fire was just so consistent over 17 songs from full blown epics to metallic rockers to the standard blues rockers, and every solo was just great. In terms of quality, when it comes down to the music, a song like Nightrain is not that different from a song like Wicked Stone. It was just everything I'd ever expect to hear from the guy. What I cannot say for certain is how Fortus stacks up. I'm sure Axl is still a great lyricist and I've always liked Duffs songwriting. For me Slash has released some of his best songs this late in his career, like Back From Cali, By The Sword and a ton of great fucking riffs (but not that good songs) like Dirty Girl or Withered Delilah. If the band just lets Slash do his thing and Axl sings over it there is no way it will be disappointing.

What would be ideal is if they invited Izzy to write songs with Slash and Duff like in 95. That doesn't mean he's back in the band, and I don't expect him to return since it appears Fortus is not going anywhere. But his songwriting would be massively useful for the band and knowing that Izzy is involved in writing would bring my hopes up a LOT.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

I'm expecting Chinese Democracy 2, with input from Slash, Duff and Melissa. Basically the album would have mostly CD-era material with new guitar solos from Slash and maybe a couple of brand new songs written by this current version of the band. Even Adler might be on one or two songs as a guest, just like on the tour. Izzy might or might not be involved in some way. It remains to be seen. Perhaps they'll include Down By The Ocean or some other unreleased song from the nineties on the record.

I'm pretty sure that I won't be disappointed with the album. I've never been disappointed with any GNR album. I doubt it's gonna happen this time either. Obviously some songs will be better than others, but in the end I'll probably enjoy every song at least in some capacity. On the other hand, if there's only gonna be 3-4 songs that I like, then I would be disappointed. But I don't see that happening. I trust Axl.

I might be slightly disappointed, if it sounds too retro. If it sounds like they're just trying to create AFD 2 or something. I hope that they're brave enough to try new things and be a little experimental just like they were with CD and UYI albums. But at the same time I'm happy that Slash will probably bring back a little rawer and bluesier sound. Also I hope that the record will be a little less ballady compared to CD. But yeah, not too retro either... Well whatever, in the end I just want to hear great new GNR songs. Nothing else really matters. :D

• Like 2

I want an album made by the current band. Not an album from 'New GNR' with Slash and Duff doing overdubs, or adding minor bits and pieces. I want the follow-up to the illusion albums from the big three. An album they can later tour on and promote as a group.

That said, I'd love to hear the rest of Axls' work from the Chinese Democracy era - on a seperate album.

Edited by Jeez
  • Like 2

When the new album drops  it is gonna be all original material by Axl  and Slash - no left over ideas from other eras - its gonna be the 2 best songwriters of their time doing what they they do best and thats making in your face riffs with some bad ass mean lyrics along with some crazy  bad ass emotional ballads that Axl writes with long Slash Jams - killer vocals and lyrics  and face melting solos with monster riffs - I CANT WAIT !!! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rovim said:

:facepalm:

How one dimensional can one be? Or are you like 14 years old?  Nightrain has a by now legendary band backing it up, aswell as a 30 year career of establishing itself by being played on the radio and at shows. Put those factors aside and look at the stuff that matters when assessing a hardrock songs quality, the riffs and the solos and the lyrics. Wanna talk one dimensional? Nightrain is a cock rock tune about drinking. And..might even have worse lyrics. If the music of WS was on Appetite, you wouldn't be questioning this at all.

• Like 1

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

How one dimensional can one be? Or are you like 14 years old?  Nightrain has a by now legendary band backing it up, aswell as a 30 year career of establishing itself by being played on the radio and at shows. Put those factors aside and look at the stuff that matters when assessing a hardrock songs quality, the riffs and the solos and the lyrics. Wanna talk one dimensional? Nightrain is a cock rock tune about drinking. And..might even have worse lyrics. If the music of WS was on Appetite, you wouldn't be questioning this at all.

:facepalm:

20 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Rovim always supplying the good shit when it comes to founded assertions. How deficient of me!

Did I piss you off? I didn't mean to piss you off. What you wrote about Wicked Stone being as good or close to being as good as Nightrain was just silly to me. (musically) And then you talk about me being one dimensional cause I think it's infinitely better than Wicked Stone while praising World On Fire and WS...lost me there. Hence the facepalms.

Nightrain is a classic. It's about drinking? so what. Doesn't need to be deep or poetry. It's Gn'R and it's one of the best tunes they've ever recorded. Actually it's my favorite Guns tune. But to each his own I suppose. And I'm 12 years old. There's nothing wrong with that. My musical taste is in development. Maybe in the future I'll fully comprehend Slash's and Kennedy's musical vision. I'm so young, there is still plenty of time to evolve. Perhaps I'll even manage to acquire a similar taste, adding cock rock dimensions as the years go passing by.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1