New Gilby Clarke Interview: “I was asked to come play as a guest, but it didn’t work out”

3 hours ago, soon said:

Before the final Skin and Bones show which ended the touring for UYI, Gilby reports that Axl came up to him and said "enjoy your last show."  Which Gilby took to be a joke at the time but in hindsight understands it wasnt a joke.

For NITL, Gilby knows he would've added legitimacy to the name GNR that Axl had kinda chipped away at.  He knows we'd all love it and it would feel more like a true Guns reunion.  He said he'd still be up for a real reunion.  

I wonder if his thinking around guesting with a hybrid Nu Guns thing was "Nah, Axl.  I enjoyed my last show.  Remember?"

That is awful if true. What a thing to say to somebody?

Edited by DieselDaisy
double post

Matt always stated he wouldn't do it without Steven, so maybe after the whole Steven thing dragged on and didn't really work out they didn't try anything with Sorum. He's not got a great relationship with Axl and has constantly trashed him in the press over the last few years. The other guys either praised him or even Slash didn't rake him over the coals too much if you think about it. (would give a balanced pros and cons type response)

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is awful if true. What a thing to say to somebody?

Yeah, pretty cruel and hyper diva.  And then it was in fact Axls last show for almost a decade until he piggy-backed on Gilby's show.

Glibly Clarke:  "My official end was actually at the last show of the last tour. Axl was jokingly saying "Bye" to everybody, but he was really saying "Bye" to everybody. He even came up to me and said, "Hey, enjoy your last show." At that point I thought he was being funny, but he wasn't being funny. He knows what he's doing. He's a smart guy. So I knew it was the end at the last show."

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/gilby_clarke/

Short summary version:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/gilby-clarke-final-guns-n-roses-gig/

7 hours ago, soon said:

For NITL, Gilby knows he would've added legitimacy to the name GNR that Axl had kinda chipped away at.  

I mean only for the hardcore GNR fans who know of Gilby as the replacement of their main rhythm guitarist during the Illusion tours, by all means for the general public I would say "the big 3" has brought that legitimacy back 

On 9/13/2017 at 1:35 AM, Magnus Cavalerra said:

Lol so the big 3 actually isn't as heartless as what people said.

Usually the most vocal and opinionated on that matter are the ones who know the least and draw the most assumptions

51 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

ummmm no. not really. dont get me wrong. id rather see gilby up there for nostalgic reasons but he hasnt contributed anything more than richard has to gnr

44 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I mean only for the hardcore GNR fans who know of Gilby as the replacement of their main rhythm guitarist during the Illusion tours, by all means for the general public I would say "the big 3" has brought that legitimacy back 

Usually the most vocal and opinionated on that matter are the ones who know the least and draw the most assumptions

I think having more classic era players would be a thing for most concert goers.  We really shouldnt sell the hardcore fanbase short.  Theres a lot of us and we're loud!  But mainly, the press - rock and average newspapers - influence the common casual fan and if they had sorum, glibly, adler and izzy guesting the press would be far more enthusiastic and encourage more casuals to go imo. 

Also, I was trying to think as Gilby.  He said its no reunion wth out him - I think he beleieves he holds some degree of power.

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Slash brought the legitimacy back. Outside of the hardcore fan base, duff doesn't really matter. It could still be Tommy playing bass as long as slash is there it's all good for the casual fans because slash and axl were the face of the band, everyone else doesn't really matter or are replaceable 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

I think having more classic era players would be a thing for most concert goers.  We really shouldnt sell the hardcore fanbase short.  Theres a lot of us and we're loud!  But mainly, the press - rock and average newspapers - influence the common casual fan and if they had sorum, glibly, adler and izzy guesting the press would be far more enthusiastic and encourage more casuals to go imo. 

Although to be fair for GNR to be filling huge ass stadiums the past year and a half I just have that question of, how much better can you get?  I mean I can't imagine enough of an impact Gilby would have as GNR's rhythm guitarist to increase sales to be even better than what they already are

5 minutes ago, annabanana said:

Slash brought the legitimacy back. Outside of the hardcore fan base, duff doesn't really matter. It could still be Tommy playing bass as long as slash is there it's all good for the casual fans because slash and axl were the face of the band, everyone else doesn't really matter or are replaceable 

I see what you did there. Nailed it!

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Although to be fair for GNR to be filling huge ass stadiums the past year and a half I just have that question of, how much better can you get?  I mean I can't imagine enough of an impact Gilby would have as GNR's rhythm guitarist to increase sales to be even better than what they already are

Thats totally a fair statement.  I do think it is both true that the tour sold well.  Really well, but not sold out every night.  And its also true that the purpose of inviting ex players to guest is to add value to the shows.  So speaking from Gilby's perspective I still think he didnt want to contribute and maybe thats in part due to Axls "enjoy your last show" comment and excluding him from SFTD, etc.  Because he certainly isn't too busy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhazUp said:

There is/was a ton of pent up demand to see Axl and Slash together. It was always going to do fantastic sales at least for the first year or two in big markets. But how many repeat fans are showing up to see multiple concerts? Are people looking at these shows as one-off "events" or are they actually invested in seeing the band more than once? How well are the tickets going to sell for the arena tour or potential touring next year? These are the key questions.

I would wager (and obviously this is simply conjecture) that their original idea to get all the principals involved was the right idea to maintain interest in the band beyond the first 1-2 years. Doing it "right" would have given them more longevity. Hardcore fans are the ones buying multiple tickets. You have to take care of your true fans, even if you're a mega brand. That's just good business.

45 minutes ago, soon said:

Thats totally a fair statement.  I do think it is both true that the tour sold well.  Really well, but not sold out every night.  And its also true that the purpose of inviting ex players to guest is to add value to the shows.  So speaking from Gilby's perspective I still think he didnt want to contribute and maybe thats in part due to Axls "enjoy your last show" comment and excluding him from SFTD, etc.  Because he certainly isn't too busy.

I think it's a money issue only because Gilby has maintained a good relationship with Slash and been cordial towards Axl. He's always said he would be up for a reunion if it was done right. It's always the same story in the end though, money talks. 

Edited by RONIN

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

There is/was a ton of pent up demand to see Axl and Slash together. It was always going to do fantastic sales at least for the first year or two in big markets. But how many repeat fans are showing up to see multiple concerts? Are people looking at these shows as one-off "events" or are they actually invested in seeing the band more than once? How well are the tickets going to sell for the arena tour or potential touring next year? These are the key questions.

I would wager (and obviously this is simply conjecture) that their original idea to get all the principals involved was the right idea to maintain interest in the band beyond the first 1-2 years. Doing it "right" would have given them more longevity. Hardcore fans are the ones buying multiple tickets. You have to take care of your true fans, even if you're a mega brand. That's just good business.

I think it's a money issue only because Gilby has maintained a good relationship with Slash and been cordial towards Axl. He's always said he would be up for a reunion if it was done right. It's always the same story in the end though, money talks. 

Gilby played a show at a local bar a couple of years ago and I got to chat with him a little afterwards. He said he was texting with Slash right before he went on stage and doesn't talk to Axl much but thinks he's awesome, so that seems about right. Close with Slash, cordial with Axl.  

• Like 3

On 13/09/2017 at 7:01 AM, Lio said:

I read somewhere Matt told someone he was asked to guest, but turned it down. I don't know if it's true, but it does seem plausible now we know Gilby has been asked. Matt would be a more obvious guest than Gilby anyway.

Either way it does seem like they wanted to include everyone in some capacity.

Matt seems like the type of guy that would be like "I played with Slash and Duff for years, and I don't get the main drum position? So it's all or nothing".

Would've been cool to hear him play estranged, November rain etc again but it's not really that important.

Richard and Frank are still in the band simply because they never left. Tommy and Chris would be there too. That's why Matt and Gilby aren't included in the current tour.

Edited by Sosso

I still think it's a high probability that in the future, after ticket sales have started to dwindle, we'll see more classic era members participating in the shows.

It would be so much easier to get Adler, Matt or Gilby to go on tour as a promotional gimmick than to release new material that would re-invigorate the brand.

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

4 pages and no one even wanted to guess which song they would do with Gilby

I actually had that thought just before scrolling down and seeing your post. Would it really matter?

My guess is the greater majority of the audience wouldn't have any idea who he is anyway.

• Like 1