The Blues & There Was A Time 2001 Discussion **NO LINKS**

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

I’m pretty sure Someone was talking about it because someone got the remix album  stuff. And I thought that leaked a few years ago. A year ago. This I love and ITW remix and I never bothered to get hold of them. 

nah, there's much known stuff from the "remix era", but nothing like you say. that is:

Brain remixes: Better (Better Gone), Prostitute (Blood in the Water), If The World, Shackler's Revenge, This I Love + 1 more unknown song (Brain said he did 6 remixes, let's say he was right)

other remixes: Better (DJ Ashba), Better (Bumblefoot acoustic)

other stuff from the same "era": Going Down, Oh My God, Silkworms (all of them mixed from an older demo and newer Bumblefoot guitar track)

that's it. all these either leaked or at least snippets of them leaked (as of right now, the case of TIL, ITW and Shackler - considering current events full of leaks, they might leak soon too)

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Can't seem to find these on youtube. Idk of they've shown up there or not.

nonetheless, it's cool to see new stuff leaking. Even if it all sounds like crap.

I just found them on YouTube. If you search for the track names then sort by upload date they should show up. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zombux said:

nah, there's much known stuff from the "remix era", but nothing like you say. that is:

Brain remixes: Better (Better Gone), Prostitute (Blood in the Water), If The World, Shackler's Revenge, This I Love + 1 more unknown song (Brain said he did 6 remixes, let's say he was right)

other remixes: Better (DJ Ashba), Better (Bumblefoot acoustic)

other stuff from the same "era": Going Down, Oh My God, Silkworms (all of them mixed from an older demo and newer Bumblefoot guitar track)

that's it. all these either leaked or at least snippets of them leaked (as of right now, the case of TIL, ITW and Shackler - considering current events full of leaks, they might leak soon too)

I think maybe the TIL remix is what I’m talking about but I specifically remember the guy who had them saying he much prefered the new vocal and Dj’s solo. The impression I got TIL wasn’t a remix but an alt version. He also talked of Shacklees remix sounding like Snoop dogg in a space station. I though the alt TIL and ITW already leaked. But not the club mix of Shacklers. I also hear a dub step remix of Chi dem on soundcloud. Not sure what that was. 

How can you remix TIL? It has to be an alt version and Dj was doing the solo live at some point so...it was a new vocal. 

Edited by wasted

Ok I just managed to hear the Blues leak right before it got taken down on youtube again. It's cool to finally hear a studio version of thag old lead, but honestly I like the final album version more (a lot smoother sounding). With that being said, the best version of the song is still that very old demo where it's mostly just the piano and  acoustic guitar. Nice and simple.

didnt get a chance to hear the TWAT leak cause it got taken down on YouTube way too fast. Oh well.

1 minute ago, wasted said:

I think maybe the TIL remix is what I’m talking about but I specifically remember the guy who had them saying he much prefered the new vocal and Dj’s solo. The impression I got TIL wasn’t a remix but an alt version. He also talked of Shacklees remix sounding like Snoop dogg in a space station. I though the alt TIL and ITW already leaked. But not the club mix of Shacklers. I also hear a dub step remix of Chi dem on soundcloud. Not sure what that was. 

There is a snippet of TIL with the alternate vocals on YouTube. Sounds really good, he brought the rasp. 

Listen from 1:59 to 2:09 on this SOD version... There's a stupid-ass effect with a synthesizer in the background, I absolutely love it, as ridiculous at it sounds hahaha. It feels like childhood. It sounds stupid and magic at the same time. It has been replaced by a coherent orchestration with violins (or synths with a violin sound) on the studio version and sounds more professional.

Overall, there are lots of weird/stupid sounds and experimentations on this demo (Pitman's ideas?), and somehow, it works wonders. So weird.

It's hard to tell which version I prefer yet. I'm often tempted to prefer the alternate version of a song I've known for years, but it takes time to judge properly.

I'll say the final version is much more professional. It's very interesting to hear all the differences between this 2001 version and the 2008 version. Talk of perfectionism. 

For a long time I thought it was just a question of different mix and maybe change some arrangements here and there. But clearly, the whole arrangements of SOD and TWAT between 2001 and 2008 have almost nothing in common. It must drive someone nuts to start all over, trying to find the perfect sound and arrangement. Just for ONE song. They already have the melody, the lyrics, the solos... but they are going to tweak the arrangement and experiment on how different it can sound, over and over and over til it's "perfect". Damn, Axl is definitely a crazy motherfucker perfectionist :lol: 

EDIT: also, I LOVE the guitar lead from 3:20 to 3:32 on this SOD 2001. Sounds so awesome. They should have left it like this in the final version...

Edited by D..
  • Like 2

I know this thread is on the blues and twat but my favorite version of CD ever has to be rir 2001. There's a different synth on it that what ended up on the album and it's heavier. Chinese as an album always has you discovering new sounds and effects.

18 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

There is a snippet of TIL with the alternate vocals on YouTube. Sounds really good, he brought the rasp. 

That’s what I remember they said it was raspy. As I remember they said there was Dj solo on it, which I didnt like that so much bcos how do you beat Finck’s solo?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, D.. said:

Listen from 1:59 to 2:09 on this SOD version... There's a stupid-ass effect with a synthesizer in the background, I absolutely love it, as ridiculous at it sounds hahaha. It feels like childhood. It sounds stupid and magic at the same time. It has been replaced by a coherent orchestration with violins (or synths with a violin sound) on the studio version and sounds more professional.

Overall, there are lots of weird/stupid sounds and experimentations on this demo (Pitman's ideas?), and somehow, it works wonders. So weird.

It's hard to tell which version I prefer yet. I'm often tempted to prefer the alternate version of a song I've known for years, but it takes time to judge properly.

I'll say the final version is much more professional. It's very interesting to hear all the differences between this 2001 version and the 2008 version. Talk of perfectionism. 

For a long time I thought it was just a question of different mix and maybe change some arrangements here and there. But clearly, the whole arrangements of SOD and TWAT between 2001 and 2008 have almost nothing in common. It must drive someone nuts to start all over, trying to find the perfect sound and arrangement. Just for ONE song. They already have the melody, the lyrics, the solos... but they are going to tweak the arrangement and experiment on how different it can sound, over and over and over til it's "perfect". Damn, Axl is definitely a crazy motherfucker perfectionist :lol: 

EDIT: also, I LOVE the guitar lead from 3:20 to 3:32 on this SOD 2001. Sounds so awesome. They should have left it like this in the final version...

That lead is perfect. That synth is unique alright, think you described it perfectly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

That lead is perfect. That synth is unique alright, think you described it perfectly.

You can hear that synth sound during the chorus here:

Edited by Sosso
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Amir said:

Feel like I'm the only person who likes the album versions of these songs the most :lol:

Same here. I like the novelty of hearing The Blues finally, but in the end I prefer the album version. There's a lot of subtleties on that song in particular that really add a lot to it IMO. As for TWAT...like @SoulMonster said, I have a hard time accepting any version without the full Buckethead solo. 

25 minutes ago, wasted said:

How can you remix TIL? It has to be an alt version and Dj was doing the solo live at some point so...it was a new vocal. 

I heard both the TIL and Shackler's (And ITW, while we're at it) remixes back in 2014. I would agree that TIL is less of a remix and more of an alternate version. All of the vocals are new, though there's not a guitar solo from what I remember. It's a bit more repetitive - I think every verse is sung twice, but the vocals are excellent. A lot raspier, and a lot more free than the album version. 

Shackler's isn't too far off from the album version from what I remember - the most notable thing about it is it has audio samples from Street Fighter. It's totally ridiculous, but I liked it.

ITW I have the least recollection of. I seem to remember it was sort of over like a We Will Rock You type drum beat? But I could be totally misremembering that - I do remember I was pretty unimpressed by the ITW remix. 

2 minutes ago, SlashisGOD said:

The best version of The Blues is still live in 2001/2002. These new leaks are interesting though but ultimately useless.

I would love to hear a "back to the roots" version from the NITL line-up.