House of Blues 2001 ***NO LINKS***

2 hours ago, cineater said:

It's so strange to see the positive comments about this show considering the amount of bitching that went on when it happen.

True. It amazes me, I remember the comments in 2006-2010 about 2001-2002 and they bashed everything.
Axl's voice, Buckethead, Finck.

It took time to actually value them, I think the reunion helped.

Not because the reunion was a bad thing, but, for example; seeing different players like Ashba, Bumblefoot, even Slash, play some of the old solos, we now appreciatte the passion of Finck and Bucket, amazing guitarlines.

• Like 3

Still pretty baffling SOD hasn't been played in the reunion. It was a showcase song multiple times, a staple of the set for a 12 years, up tempo, and the closest to anything on CD to a UYI era song. 

3 minutes ago, fanfzero said:

Btw, I've realized they did not play Twister during Bucket's solo, was it because of rights as it was planned to be an official release?

What are you talking about? 

13 minutes ago, fanfzero said:

The song that plays during Buckethead nuchaku act on Rock in Rio 2001 (and if I'm not wrong during 2002 tour)

Thank you! I should've known it better as Big B fan :facepalm:

Edited by Sosso

18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Embedded it for you :)

it just shows a few things:

1. during this era, Robin was very close to Axl, almost similarly to how he has always been to Trent. just look how the chemistry between the two goes!

2. Bucket was already usurping and finally owning the whole Nightrain. mindblowing stuff! I love that!

3. on the other hand, it was a huge waste of Bucket's talent at many places. for example there still wasn't his part of the ChiDem solo and it feels robbed, the guy's just standing on the podium with nothing to do.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, zombux said:

it just shows a few things:

1. during this era, Robin was very close to Axl, almost similarly to how he has always been to Trent. just look how the chemistry between the two goes!

2. Bucket was already usurping and finally owning the whole Nightrain. mindblowing stuff! I love that!

3. on the other hand, it was a huge waste of Bucket's talent at many places. for example there still wasn't his part of the ChiDem solo and it feels robbed, the guy's just standing on the podium with nothing to do.

Agree. CD without the Bucket is an incomplete song.

Twister is great. Always figured it was a Bucket scribed backing track, didn't realise it was a decent dance track.

39 minutes ago, SlashisGOD said:

I think Axl saw Robin as the new Slash and that’s why he was so close to him. 

Axl once said that Robin was his Randy Rhoads. Something like that. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

The only show from this era that I listen to ever is the Boston show.. this show is crap, same with Rock In rio

What's crap about it to you? I agree that some things about the 2002 shows were better. I also agree that RIR3 was terrible. I think this HOB show is worlds better than RIR3 though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

What's crap about it to you? I agree that some things about the 2002 shows were better. I also agree that RIR3 was terrible. I think this HOB show is worlds better than RIR3 though.

The musicianship, namely Buckethead, Robin sounds better to me in ‘06 frankly, is great; but, the stage presence isn’t there, Axl sounds to me the worst he’s ever sounded except for maybe 2012, and minus Chinese Democracy, most of the CD songs sound incomplete or just meh. 

I get it, first show in 8 years, new lineup, great musicians, new music; but the show itself, I could do without. I’d trade every new GNR proshot for a pick of 1 show from UYI era. But I’m not here to debate the old versus new. 

2009-10 and some ‘06 shows like NYC and Rock Am Ring are light years better

I think this show is more novelty over quality. There was an aura of mystery still surrounding a lot of stuff back then, before the internet got really huge, and everyone had access to everything in the palm of their hands. House of Blues was more one of those things where if you weren't there, you didn't know. If there were a million smartphone, facebook, IG, snapchat videos of every show back then the way there is now, there would be no mystery and no interest in anything like a pretty mediocre House of Blues show. 

It was cool at the time, but let's not pretend Axl didn't sound like shit, or the band wasn't overly tight at the start. If you've seen RIR3, like most of us have, you're not missing much with this. The same winded, Mickey Mouse Axl, with sloppy play from Robin, and a few bright spots from Bucket. Not really a whole lot else to talk about. 

The 2006 era was probably the best we're gonna get post-UYI in terms of vocal quality. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

The musicianship, namely Buckethead, Robin sounds better to me in ‘06 frankly, is great; but, the stage presence isn’t there, Axl sounds to me the worst he’s ever sounded except for maybe 2012, and minus Chinese Democracy, most of the CD songs sound incomplete or just meh. 

I get it, first show in 8 years, new lineup, great musicians, new music; but the show itself, I could do without. I’d trade every new GNR proshot for a pick of 1 show from UYI era. But I’m not here to debate the old versus new. 

2009-10 and some ‘06 shows like NYC and Rock Am Ring are light years better

For a moment there I read this as the "musicianship, namely Bucket" being crap! Thank god I re-read it.

17 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

The only show from this era that I listen to ever is the Boston show.. this show is crap, same with Rock In rio

If you enjoy the Boston show, check out the one in Albany, NY.

It's not proshot, but it's easily the best show of that tour.

• Like 1