New Slash interviews (The Times, Classic Rock)

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He did another interview for the next issue of Classic Rock and he talks more about new music:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/slash-everyone-would-like-to-make-a-new-guns-n-roses-album

“I think everybody thinks it’s a good idea, and everybody would like to do it. There’s no shortage of ideas from everybody involved, but we’ve been so busy on the road there hasn’t really been time to go in and sit down and go, ‘Okay, we’re going to make a record.’”

EDIT: I updated the the title of the thread and added this interview to the OP.

From reading this second interview it seems he's saying that nothing is officially announced yet as they haven't gotten a chance to get into the studio and record. They've all talked about it and want to do it but the tour has been top priority right now.

I'm not getting vibes that it won't happen just that they haven't began recording yet.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

From reading this second interview it seems he's saying that nothing is officially announced yet as they haven't gotten a chance to get into the studio and record. They've all talked about it and want to do it but the tour has been top priority right now.

I'm not getting vibes that it won't happen just that they haven't began recording yet.

Yeah, that's kinda the vibe I got from it. That doesn't mean I feel anymore confident it'll happen.

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Actually they did go around town sightseeing while in Europe (Slash and Meegan, Duff and Susan). I don't think they've just been sitting around doing nothing and snacking on catering.

Fair point. As far as I can gather they still havent been busy in the same way that most other touring acts are busy. The ladies made a little music video for GNAIR. Duff is taking pics of him holding Susan's breasts... I think they've had down time to fill?

I sure hope that visits to Roman Baths or the namesake towns of Quiche Lorraine and Jarlsberg Cheese didn't get in the way of planning a new album. I'd be disappointed! 

47 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

I agree, I dont get any vibe that there's no chance of new music after reading this interview. Of course Axl hasnt done anything in years, but times and the band are different. I totally believe that some new music will be recorded an released. 

15 minutes ago, soon said:

Fair point. As far as I can gather they still havent been busy in the same way that most other touring acts are busy. The ladies made a little music video for GNAIR. Duff is taking pics of him holding Susan's breasts... I think they've had down time to fill?

I sure hope that visits to Roman Baths or the namesake towns of Quiche Lorraine and Jarlsberg Cheese didn't get in the way of planning a new album. I'd be disappointed! 

Such silly comments. So these guys aren't allowed ANY time to chill and relax prior to playing a live stadium show for three hours? As if taking a photo with your wife requires time and effort anyway. Come on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GnR Chris said:

Such silly comments. So these guys aren't allowed ANY time to chill and relax prior to playing a live stadium show for three hours? As if taking a photo with your wife requires time and effort anyway. Come on.

I meant, more like, if one adds up all the evidence of excessive down time. It is true that Duff and Susan can have fun with boob-play in passing without taking away from band business. :lol: 

However that band business hasn't included press or photo shoots. For Axl it didn't even involve soundcheck for the most part. LN did much of the heavy lifting that historically would've involved band members being in frequent, daily contact with management and PR.

Other bands do press every day. They do meet and greets. They huddle up to plan all new set lists. And they also plan the next album. I'm pretty sure that the structure of NITL left GNR ample opportunity to plan an album.  

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

Music video for GNAIR? Where is this?

3 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

Definitely. I don't think Slash would lie about it or even bother answering that question if it wasn't something that had been talked about. Slash is probably the one who wants to make new music most of all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

WTF. He described the personalities of past members. What about Mellisa, Fortus, Dizzy, and Frank’s? Especially Frank’s!

Hahaha...Just tells what he thinks of them.

In all seriousness...if they ask him about leaving the band '96, can just one of those journalists ask him about Izzy/Gilby/Matt?

...ie 'what are the odds Izzy will be back', 'why in your opinion Izzy is not involved', 'do you reckon Izzy might be back for the writing process', 'is there any future for that Izzy album that was ment to be best Gunner album'...Simple stuff as that.  Not even as direct as  'why do you keep Frank when he is shit',  'wtf is that chick doing there in the corner', 'do you take Iz/Gilby over Fartus any day'.....

2 hours ago, soon said:

I meant, more like, if one adds up all the evidence of excessive down time. It is true that Duff and Susan can have fun with boob-play in passing without taking away from band business. :lol: 

However that band business hasn't included press or photo shoots. For Axl it didn't even involve soundcheck for the most part. LN did much of the heavy lifting that historically would've involved band members being in frequent, daily contact with management and PR.

Other bands do press every day. They do meet and greets. They huddle up to plan all new set lists. And they also plan the next album. I'm pretty sure that the structure of NITL left GNR ample opportunity to plan an album.  

You're kind of going against your entire point. If these guys don't do press or interviews, why would there be any info leaked on the planning of a new album? Personal social media posts mean nothing, and they're personal for a reason. They're really not band related. There's been plenty of time in the 2 1/2 years for them to discuss and spitball ideas of new music. We just wont know anything until they're either sighted in the studio or they make an announcement. Slash said that they've talked about doing new stuff, and I'm quite sure he wouldn't lie about that knowing that the 'boss' would find out. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

In all seriousness...if they ask him about leaving the band '96, can just one of those journalists ask him about Izzy/Gilby/Matt?

...ie 'what are the odds Izzy will be back', 'why in your opinion Izzy is not involved', 'do you reckon Izzy might be back for the writing process', 'is there any future for that Izzy album that was ment to be best Gunner album'...Simple stuff as that.  Not even as direct as  'why do you keep Frank when he is shit',  'wtf is that chick doing there in the corner', 'do you take Iz/Gilby over Fartus any day'.....

Do you seriously think that it hasn't occurred the journalists to ask him these questions?

Probably there's an agreement prior to the interviews that certain questions won't be asked.

21 hours ago, Blackstar said:

[...]

We’re meeting in slightly strange circumstances. Guns N’ Roses have granted no interviews during their two-year reunion tour of the original members of Rose, Slash and the bassist Duff McKagan, presumably for fear of someone saying the wrong thing and sending the wheels of this mammoth but delicate juggernaut spinning out of control. But Slash has a riff-heavy album coming out, Living the Dream, with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators, and he has a day off before the Reykjavik gig. So here we are, on Slash’s 53rd birthday, talking about his lifetime in rock ’n’ roll while an enormous Samoan man called Kimo waits outside. When you are as wealthy and as recognisable as Slash, you need someone like Kimo.

[...]

Damaged individuals tend to make the most interesting music, but that doesn’t make them the easiest people to be in a band with. I ask Slash to describe the various personalities in Guns N’ Roses. “Now we get into . . . er . . . an area where it’s hard for me to make a description in words,” he says, sounding uneasy for the first time.

“Duff was the responsible one. He answered an ad I put in the paper, showed up at Canter’s Deli in LA, had his own apartment and car, and was kind of jovial. Steven Adler was happy-go-lucky. Izzy was like the Artful Dodger. And Axl is an immensely talented but not very predictable individual. I don’t know what I was about — still don’t — except I wanted to play rock ’n’ roll. Somehow these personalities were drawn to each other.”

[...]

Slash cites Rose’s constant lateness as his own reason for leaving Guns N’ Roses in 1996, after which he formed Slash’s Snakepit (he’s a big snake fan) and then Velvet Revolver, leaving Rose as the sole founder member. Velvet Revolver fell apart in 2008, with Slash citing his own and the singer Scott Weiland’s “chemical issues” for the dissolution. He had a defibrillator fitted to correct a heart conditon resulting from his years of excess and, by the time he formed Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators in 2010 he was clean. That helped to pave the way for the Guns N’ Roses reunion few thought could ever happen.

“There is not a lot for me to say about it except that it’s been a huge f***in’ weight off my shoulders,” says Slash. “As soon as we started the rehearsals Axl and I got past a couple of decades’ worth of bullshit and found the camaraderie again. It was only meant to be two shows and a couple of warm-up gigs. Now we’re touring the world.”

I went to the massive Guns N’ Roses show at London Stadium in 2016 and was amazed to find a band starting on the dot of 7.30pm, Rose and all. “There was a rumour going round that we gave him an ultimatum, but actually Axl showed up on time from rehearsals onward,” Slash says on his lead singer’s new-found punctuality. “It’s a trip for me because we had a lot of issues with that back in the Nineties, but he came in so professional and in great spirits, even after he broke his foot and did the first two shows in a chair.”

Now Slash is touring the world’s biggest stadiums with Guns N’ Roses while doing theatre shows with his own band, whose latest album is filled with the kind of big, heavy riffs that make you want to learn guitar; bluesy, ballsy and exciting. “Doing these two bands is like having a mistress and a wife,” he says. “With Guns N’ Roses there were four and a half leaders [the frequently drugged-out Adler presumably being the half] whereas this is my band but I don’t dictate. I write the music, Myles comes up with the words and we’ll sort out the songs through jamming. It all goes back to my love of live records. I never wanted to sit around and be a soloist. Having a bunch of guys around you and bashing out a song is what makes it rock ’n’ roll.”

[...]

--------------

This is real? That doesn't sound like Slash at all to me...

Edited by Tom-Ass

I feel like the Classic Rock interview gives me more hope regarding new music than any other statements besides stuff Axl said at the China Exchange in 2016.

It certainly seems like the band wants to do new music at some point and they've definitely got ideas, but they've been so busy touring that they haven't had the time to sit down and formally start work on a new album. I can understand why they haven't worked on new music during the break, given how much touring they've done, I can't blame them for taking months off to relax (except Slash, whose idea of relaxation is to crank out an album).

Hopefully (fingers crossed) the NITL tour ends with the upcoming leg and the band thinks about its plans going forward.

Also, it's extremely heartwarming to hear about Slash and Axl genuinely getting along. It's also pretty cool to hear that Axl's newfound timeliness isn't a contract stipulation as so many rumours suggested.

• Like 3

I get the feeling that they don't know how to make music with each other. 

It's been too long and there are too many bad memories of everything that came after Appetite; all the struggles in trying to pull it together. It would be that plus years of disassociation and musical divorce. Creativity is a cohesive thing and I think they have lots of doubts about whether they can come together to make something cohesive that everyone is satisfied with. That and the monumental, crushing expectation that comes with releasing new Guns N' Roses music.

Axl is the biggest wild card. I think everyone, Axl included, doesn't know if he is up for it and how involved the process would be. It could be a disaster and for that reason, they avoid even talking about it with each other.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It's definitely real, it's on the website of The (London) Times.

What makes you say that it doesn't sound like Slash?

I'm curious too.

I will say the interview piece didn't flow well because you had to guess at questions asked as the writer/interviewer just filled in a bunch of his own information gathered with some answers from Slash.

Some of the things mentioned were likely not discussed but thrown in the write up for a sort of background.

I don't think it was a good interview for those reasons.

For example the whole Slash citing Axl's lateness was likely not done by Slash in this interview but taken from one years ago and made to look like Slash said it here. The true question asked isn't included per se. Most of the interview flows like this.

These types of interviews are why bands don't do interviews. It could make it seem something was brought up that really wasn't.

• Like 1