If Slash quit GNR again would the brand survive?

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

....was it not fairly well proven that Axl can go out on his own? With or without Slash OR any positive media attention! In fact all they had for years was fat memes and bitter old fans who turned journalists ripping them to shreds... And yet they were still a healthy enough touring act.

Now! he's straight away down to arenas and festivals and the odd smaller gig, but he'd still make a whole lot of money with or without Slash... Just not as much as with Slash. We can argue all day but Axl is the key ingredient to GNR, yes Slash adds that swagger to the songs but he doesn't sing like Axl (sometimes Axl doesn't 😉) so that's why when he tours he plays clubs and theatres and when Axl tours on his own he plays Arenas (for the most part).

End of the day they BOTH need each other, and if they did have a rift again... It would depend what info was available but yeah most people would automatically side with Slash just because of their idea of who Axl is and was currently and back in the day.

"And yet they were still a healthy enough touring act" - that may have been the case from say 06 to 09 for those 3 years (perfect time period for a cd2 release had cd been released earlier)  but from 2010 to 2014 most fans were bored and no longer interested in the band other than nuguns fans holding onto some small glimmer of hope of a cd2. By 2010 to 2014 the band were downsizing from arenas to theatres to bowling alleys. Its interesting how some cd fans always talk how popular the band was to the same level of the AFD/illusion era. 

Edited by Sydney Fan

4 hours ago, username said:

It makes me feel very sad when people talk about a band like this. It's something I don't want music to be. 

I understand. I hate I feel that way about my favorite "band". I have enjoyed all the different players and music that has come out of all the lineups. My main gripes through the different incarnations were Buckethead's stage presence...to gimmicky. Robin's goth look era, and Axl's Mickey Mouse singing. Oh, and all of the stupid decisions in this bands history that took away from being functional.

7 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I understand. I hate I feel that way about my favorite "band". I have enjoyed all the different players and music that has come out of all the lineups. My main gripes through the different incarnations were Buckethead's stage presence...to gimmicky. Robin's goth look era, and Axl's Mickey Mouse singing. Oh, and all of the stupid decisions in this bands history that took away from being functional.

And theres ashba with the tophat and his goth era to. He was to try hard. If bh would have gotten rid of the kfc bucket off his head , the band would have been taken more seriously rather than a clown act.

Edited by Sydney Fan

3 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

And theres ashba with the tophat and his goth era to. He was to try hard. If bh would have gotten rid of the kfc bucket off his head , the band would have been taken more seriously rather than a clown act.

I dont know why but Ashba never bothered me like he did a lot of you. :shrugs: :lol:

8 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I dont know why but Ashba never bothered me like he did a lot of you. :shrugs: :lol:

His intro fuckups to some songs and i thought he just came across as someone who wasnt in the band for the right reasons. Kind of like "this will do until sixxam restarts again".

The brand isn't going anywhere, the music's become a permanent fixture in the history of rock music.  Hell, Paul Stanley is so self-aware of this that he wants KISS to move on as a band without any of the original members.

A hundred years from now, there'll still be people wearing Appetite t-shirts.

42 minutes ago, Gackt said:

The brand isn't going anywhere, the music's become a permanent fixture in the history of rock music.  Hell, Paul Stanley is so self-aware of this that he wants KISS to move on as a band without any of the original members.

A hundred years from now, there'll still be people wearing Appetite t-shirts.

A lot of you have misunderstood what Im saying as the brand. There is no way to stop nostalgia tshirt, memorabilia sales, and music that already is. Moving forward replacing Slash again with whoever, touring, replacing logos, fan acceptance, Axl accepting scaling it back again. The next new brand, not the fucking nostalgia brand that was and currently is successful.

14 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Lol no 

Hmmm... yes! Bumblefoot would only work in a band like System of a Down or something like that. His noodling is annoying. He ruined the remix of Oh My God. He Ruined Chinese Democracy, he ruined There Was a Time, he ruined Shackler's Revenge, he ruined Riad... and so on. His solo records are nothing special either. But he's a nice guy!

DJ transformed New GNR into something else! Something on a next level! He brought charisma, which was lacking in the band, and he brought interesting ideas to the table. Even on the live shows. He reinvented Chinese Democracy! The dude is extremely underrated and much better than Bumblefoot. He's also much more creative than Bumblefoot and probably a better songwriter.

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Tbh, i kinda forgot about them from '96  so i can only say that when the reunion rumours started i checked them out, 1 album and many line-ups, I don't think i missed out :) 

You missed seeing GNR in 2006, that was Axl on fire, that's something most would agree is a peak... although I missed all the 80s and early 90s so! :D I'm not saying what's going now is bad, it's just worlds apart to my ears, at a vocal level at the very least! 

Also, one really good album so... while it took extraordinarily long, for me it was good, plus I never thought of the album in terms of how long it took to make, when I listened to it.

Things are better now in that, they function a lot closer to what normal bands do. I think the performances were stronger specifically 2006-07, if we're talking about anything else then I have different point of view and todays GNR are way in the lead!  

8 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

Hmmm... yes! Bumblefoot would only work in a band like System of a Down or something like that. His noodling is annoying. He ruined the remix of Oh My God. He Ruined Chinese Democracy, he ruined There Was a Time, he ruined Shackler's Revenge, he ruined Riad... and so on. His solo records are nothing special either. But he's a nice guy!

DJ transformed New GNR into something else! Something on a next level! He brought charisma, which was lacking in the band, and he brought interesting ideas to the table. Even on the live shows. He reinvented Chinese Democracy! The dude is extremely underrated and much better than Bumblefoot. He's also much more creative than Bumblefoot and probably a better songwriter.

I kind of agree with your thoughts on Ron, though I think he was great in a live setting (from '09-14) and he was the only member of the CD-band that ever really interacted with the fans. But, his additions to CD did not generally benefit the songs.

Dj on the other hand.... honestly, I was excited when he was announced as the new guitarist in 2009. I saw him at Crue Fest with Sixx:A.M. in 2008 and it was a really good show. I saw the 2nd show of the 2010 GNR tour and thought he did a great job. He was generally a good fit at first. But with each tour he seemed to get worse, or more specifically, less interested. It seemed like he realized at some point that his role in Guns was just 'touring guitar player' so he decided to use the opportunity to advertise his own brand. His guitar playing and 'persona' were definitely worse than Ron's IMO.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

Whelp I disagree with all of this (except for Ron being nice)

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I kind of agree with your thoughts on Ron, though I think he was great in a live setting (from '09-14) and he was the only member of the CD-band that ever really interacted with the fans. But, his additions to CD did not generally benefit the songs.

Dj on the other hand.... honestly, I was excited when he was announced as the new guitarist in 2009. I saw him at Crue Fest with Sixx:A.M. in 2008 and it was a really good show. I saw the 2nd show of the 2010 GNR tour and thought he did a great job. He was generally a good fit at first. But with each tour he seemed to get worse, or more specifically, less interested. It seemed like he realized at some point that his role in Guns was just 'touring guitar player' so he decided to use the opportunity to advertise his own brand. His guitar playing and 'persona' were definitely worse than Ron's IMO.

Absolutely agreed on DJ. 

I saw Guns in '10, '11, & '13. By 2011 he was already showing signs of boredom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

"And yet they were still a healthy enough touring act" - that may have been the case from say 06 to 09 for those 3 years (perfect time period for a cd2 release had cd been released earlier)  but from 2010 to 2014 most fans were bored and no longer interested in the band other than nuguns fans holding onto some small glimmer of hope of a cd2. By 2010 to 2014 the band were downsizing from arenas to theatres to bowling alleys. Its interesting how some cd fans always talk how popular the band was to the same level of the AFD/illusion era. 

2010 (2 nights sold out in the o2 london) 2012 (2 nights again), they also decided to play a bunch of small clubs, not forget the thousands of SA people that lined up to see them... I don't think it was quite as bad as you've painted.

Now! attendance was down, and would they have continued to sell out venues like o2? maybe not, I know in Ireland they sold a bunch of tickets, right up to the 2012 gig, and the reason that undersold was because people were pissed off still from the 2010 walk off.

3 hours ago, Robert39 said:

Tom, the rushed part....... you think, Axl can hold his tone, when they play the songs in original key ??

Me?

I don't understand what you're saying though, sorry! :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Also... I NEVER compared CD era GNR to UYI era... certainly not in terms of success and appeal, that would be crazy! 

It's interesting how some classic era fans like to say GNR were stuck playing bowling alleys, but that tour was probably put in place because Axl thought it would be cool to play some tiny venues... he's not the first artist to do something like that. I'd never argue that they were ultra successful during that period but in a time when bands of a similar status were struggling to sell tickets, GNR were definitely doing well... even with a fraction of their fanbase actually interested in attending shows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Propaganda said:

Intentional or not, this is the funniest post I've read on here in quite some time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

DJ also brought and sold SWAG, let's not undersell his greatest contribution to GnR.  I actually like DJ, I enjoy the SixxAM albums, but let's not be coy, if you caught a pic that DJ threw into the crowd, you would get a bill in the mail for it a week later.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

DJ also brought and sold SWAG, let's not undersell his greatest contribution to GnR.  I actually like DJ, I enjoy the SixxAM albums, but let's not be coy, if you caught a pic that DJ threw into the crowd, you would get a bill in the mail for it a week later.

I assume you'd also get coupons for Monster energy drinks and Ashba water though so it's not all bad.

• Like 1