If Slash quit GNR again would the brand survive?

8 hours ago, ludurigan said:

"brand"

:rofl-lol:

GNR has survived the ultimate shit fest which is a very sweet and kind way to describe the abomination that was axl solo career as "GNR"

even if bon jovi went on a killing spree shooting all members of GNR one by one...

and then later shooting all members of axl rose solo band who were told they were in GNR...

GNR would still survive and thrive because you cant really kill music, can you?

specially when it is fucking great 

Sorry, but Guns N' Roses are a business and a brand.

To have a successful business, you have to give people what they want. Bringing back Slash and Duff gave the people what they wanted, and the business has flourished since April 1, 2016. It also helps that the "classic logo" returned in full force. I don't know how much of that logo is owned/trademarked by Slash, but when he was brought back into the GN'R mix, the logo became the focus on nearly all merchandise for the reunion tour. 

Because of Slash and Duff, Guns N' Roses are legitimate again after years of little interest from anyone outside of hardcore fans. A new record from this lineup is not only desired, it's a major news story if and when it happens. GN'R today are a healthy business, no longer faced with the possibility of Las Vegas residencies to keep the name alive.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Is perla getting money from the reunion ? She and Slash divorced before the Reunion so surely she isn't entitled to anything from the reunion specifically. And no Axl doesn't own Slash. 

From what I've read she gets money every month as long as slash is breathing and shes not remarried.  That being said,  Axl controls him making these millions touring with guns. I bet we'll hear about him taking her back to court one day for a better deal.  I dont think he can pay that much if he leaves guns

14 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Wouldn't Axl be painted as an ass again if he and Slash had another falling out? I wonder if Axl thought of this when calling Slash years ago. I know he probably doesn't need the money anyway, but sometimes its hard to give up on what you have been doing your whole life. I'd say GNR's future is in Slash's hands now more than Axl's. What do you think?

Nope.

If Slash quits GN'R again, it'll be lights out. 

17 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Wouldn't Axl be painted as an ass again if he and Slash had another falling out? I wonder if Axl thought of this when calling Slash years ago. I know he probably doesn't need the money anyway, but sometimes its hard to give up on what you have been doing your whole life. I'd say GNR's future is in Slash's hands now more than Axl's. What do you think?

The backlash for Axl would really depend upon how it all went down. It they parted ways amicably it would be a lot less worse than if we Slash left in anger.

Nevertheless, Guns N' Roses survived Slash leaving in 1996, at a time when Guns N' Roses was (semi)-relevant, so I don't understand why the band wouldn't survive Slash leaving today when the band is just a nostalgia act. Unless, of course, Axl couldn't bother to continue with GN'R without Slash.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Is perla getting money from the reunion ? She and Slash divorced before the Reunion so surely she isn't entitled to anything from the reunion specifically. And no Axl doesn't own Slash. 

She probably gets a percentage of all future earnings until his kids are 18, that's normally how things work. So if Slash earns more he pays her more. Quite right too. 

Well, if GNR are to be believed, the original plan was to do a couple shots and "see how it goes." There wasn't an immediate plan for a three-year tour. It all sort of fell into place for them to do Coachella because of the exodus of Stinson, Ashba, and Bumblefoot. The guys got along and the tour went on. And on. And on.

I'm sure before the new/current lineup, Axl considered what would happen if Slash returned for a spell and then left. On the one hand, you may think, "Oh, GNR couldn't survive Slash's departure." But I disagree. Especially in light of all the goodwill the band and Axl have garnered the last three years. Axl has rehabilitated his image to the public. I don't think there would be an ugly falling out if Slash were to depart. I think it would be an amicable "going of separate ways."

It isn't like before though, in the '90s. These guys all have side projects. There is no real reason I can think of why they couldn't all do their own thing and come back to the band. GNR has always had a rotating list of people. The one constant is Axl.

GNR won't fill stadiums without Slash. Slash won't fill stadiums without GNR.

Edited by GnR Chris

The brand won't die. If Slash quits, then he will have the spotlight again on him, because people will want to know who's replacing him, and people will want to know what he has to say about it at shows... The only thing is he won't be able to sell out stadiums, so he won't make as much money... but then again, he wouldn't have to split his money, and he could pay the hired hands much less. It would still be good business for him.

I'm not sure if the label would leave him alone in terms of a possible cd release. They would probably make it dificult.

At this point though, if Slash would quit, he would probably just retire.

Edited by Propaganda

....was it not fairly well proven that Axl can go out on his own? With or without Slash OR any positive media attention! In fact all they had for years was fat memes and bitter old fans who turned journalists ripping them to shreds... And yet they were still a healthy enough touring act.

Now! he's straight away down to arenas and festivals and the odd smaller gig, but he'd still make a whole lot of money with or without Slash... Just not as much as with Slash. We can argue all day but Axl is the key ingredient to GNR, yes Slash adds that swagger to the songs but he doesn't sing like Axl (sometimes Axl doesn't 😉) so that's why when he tours he plays clubs and theatres and when Axl tours on his own he plays Arenas (for the most part).

End of the day they BOTH need each other, and if they did have a rift again... It would depend what info was available but yeah most people would automatically side with Slash just because of their idea of who Axl is and was currently and back in the day.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Afraid me that would be swan-song of GNR

A swan song would be more than they're releasing now. :lol: 

23 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It's a fact of life. It's business, it's also art etc. 

It is. But it's not what should be at the core of a band. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Of course they'll survive without Slash. They'd just be shit :P

You think they were shit throughout all the years Slash was exiled? 

I heartily disagree obviously :D In fact, I believe they were tighter and more entertaining before the NITL tour.... no 20 minute blues jam solos is one plus of he previous line up. One negative Dj Ashba... 

I love having Slash back, but I'm not going to say that whats happening now is better, because it's simply not as good AND in my opinion Slash and Duff are largely responsible for how things sound now, the crazy rushed tempos being top of that list.

• Like 1