Lots of old Recordings

If it’s worth listening, it prob has a better chance now than anytime beforehand in being released in the future. Maybe these tapes are better than what they had available. Maybe it stinks and they’re better off buried.  

Such a mysterious time period in the band’s history. Weird to physically see something that’s actually associated with it 

Edited by guitarpatch

Just now, username said:

I understand your position regarding your job and all, but given the faith I have in GnR's management (hint: I highly doubt they're capable enough to sit the right way on a toilet seat, let alone manage a band) this material will never been heard from again. And as a fan, that makes me sad. 

They just released an Appetite reissue containing many recordings that are comparable. Say what you want on the packaging, execution and price points, but it happened. That’s a positive outcome when it comes to “in the vault” releases. 

Slash and Duff having a working relationship with Axl has opened up, even slightly, the possibilities of this stuff seeing the light of day. Compared to 10 years ago where they wouldn’t sign off on this stuff 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I think a lot of you are misunderstanding............ and please correct me if I'm wrong @Slapshot61:

What he does is storage. He's not in charge of anything else to do with these recordings including (and most importantly) the copyrights. If he copied and shared anything from his archives, he'd be out of business quickly. It'd be similar to an accounting storage facility; they wouldn't be able to just copy and distribute private company documents.

I also assume that only authorized personnel would be allowed to pick up these tapes. So they would've been handed over to the people who own the rights, which is most likely Universal. It's not like you can just show up at Slapshot61's facility and say "Hey, can I have those GN'R tapes?"

Good point, but how official could it all be?

If a group of fans were invited in to take a look, who then alerted GNR Mgmt, who immediately turned up to get it - did they even know they had it?

I dont think many of you understand, this is just stuff. Everything is recorded. There are many many piles like this one in other storage places. If anything was good enough something will be done with it.  most of it is just friends playing around with friends. When everyone has a studio in their house this type of stuff happens. I'm sure there are some pretty cool tracks but i dont think many were meant for release. Now they have the oppertinuty to do something with them even if its just to store them properly. I think my point to the posting was to say how fans can affect things bigger than they think, even if they never knew they did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Slapshot61 said:

I dont think many of you understand, this is just stuff. Everything is recorded. There are many many piles like this one in other storage places. If anything was good enough something will be done with it.  most of it is just friends playing around with friends. When everyone has a studio in their house this type of stuff happens. I'm sure there are some pretty cool tracks but i dont think many were meant for release. Now they have the oppertinuty to do something with them even if its just to store them properly. I think my point to the posting was to say how fans can affect things bigger than they think, even if they never knew they did.

Cool, appreciate the story and you sharing the details. 

Given the desperation of some to hear this material, you can expect some disappointment that it's been handed over but it's obviously not yours to steal!

Wow. This is like the Holy Grail! And now it’s gone, potentially, forever. 

I would have thought Axl’s goons wouldn’t forget recordings like this were out of their control. 

While sad, the original poster Slapshot61 has a business to run and a fidicuary duty to his investors (not to mention employees). He did the right thing, unfortunately!

5 minutes ago, Pele said:

Good point, but how official could it all be?

If a group of fans were invited in to take a look, who then alerted GNR Mgmt, who immediately turned up to get it - did they even know they had it?

2 guys who spent more than a few $$$ on vintage posters. always welcome. Buy the VR lights i got for sale and swing on by.

5 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

Wow. This is like the Holy Grail! And now it’s gone, potentially, forever. 

I would have thought Axl’s goons wouldn’t forget recordings like this were out of their control. 

While sad, the original poster Slapshot61 has a business to run and a fidicuary duty to his investors (not to mention employees). He did the right thing, unfortunately!

Wait.

How is it gone forever? He turned the tapes over to the people that own them (again, most likely Universal). So if anything, this would mean that the record company has even more recordings to work with in the future.

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wait.

How is it gone forever? He turned the tapes over to the people that own them (again, most likely Universal). So if anything, this would mean that the record company has even more recordings to work with in the future.

He says he gave the tapes to management, meaning TB I guess, not the record comapany. 

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wait.

Yeah, let's be optimistic and hope they wanted it for future release/development.

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

He says he gave the tapes to management, meaning TB I guess, not the record comapany. 

Correct, one specific band member owns these particular tapes not any record company. Management as in someones personal manager most likely.

• Like 1

And i always knew they were there, i just didnt think anything of them. Band members saw them every now and then and never made any kinda issue over them. Until a couple of fans thought they were important, thats what i thought was so cool. I asked crew members about the tapes many times and no one really cared, as i said before there are more piles like this one. And if you buy something from me that at my warehouse thats where you will probably get to pick it up. If i deem you sane i let you peek.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Slapshot61 said:

Correct, one specific band member owns these particular tapes not any record company. Management as in someones personal manager most likely.

Right. I just meant "whomever owns the tapes" when I said Universal. 

13 minutes ago, Slapshot61 said:

And i always knew they were there, i just didnt think anything of them. Band members saw them every now and then and never made any kinda issue over them. Until a couple of fans thought they were important, thats what i thought was so cool. I asked crew members about the tapes many times and no one really cared, as i said before there are more piles like this one. And if you buy something from me that at my warehouse thats where you will probably get to pick it up. If i deem you sane i let you peek.

I think a lot of people are missing this point:

NOTHING IS LOST!

What happened was some collectors bought some things, happened to see the tapes, then Slapshot let GN'Rs crew know about them and someone from management came to get them. This is a GOOD thing, nothing bad has happened here! :) 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Right. I just meant "whomever owns the tapes" when I said Universal. 

I think a lot of people are missing this point:

NOTHING IS LOST!

What happened was some collectors bought some things, happened to see the tapes, then Slapshot let GN'Rs crew know about them and someone from management came to get them. This is a GOOD thing, nothing bad has happened here! :) 

It's just hard to be optimistic when "management" has possession of so much quality stuff and 99% of it will never see the light of day

• Like 2
  • Sad 2