DJ Ashaba "I wrote 12 songs for new GNR album"

gnrkoncerti

Robin Finck and Buckethead likely wrote ten times as many songs for Guns. Look what ended up on the record.

DJ is a tool, the new kid in town. Unless he bought himself into the band, what's the point of actually USING so much of his material? It sure can't be the cheesy 1980's guitaring.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's exciting if true that a new record is now the focus. I have a hard time believing that, though, judging from Guns N' Roses history in the last decade and a half.

But DJ Ashba ... I have ZERO hope the guy can write a killer Gn'R track. Nothing I've heard from him has been any good. Not even a little bit.

They say you can't shine shit. And if it's true he's writing Gn'R material, then I guess we'll have to see if Axl can make that dung sparkly.

I am not gonna get hopes up only because the people that have the control can fuck this up again. (IE the record company)

GN'R know what to do and how to do it, I wish they had their own label.

They could easily start one.

All they would have to do is just change the band name (and start recording), or buy out their contract and they would be free.

Honestly Axl could record an album without ANYTHING from a record company. As long as he doesn't take forever to do it, he has the money to finance it himself. A lot of bands do that, then see what labels are interested in distributing it. Everyone always says its up to the big wigs... it doesn't have to be.

Honestly Axl could record an album without ANYTHING from a record company. As long as he doesn't take forever to do it, he has the money to finance it himself. A lot of bands do that, then see what labels are interested in distributing it. Everyone always says its up to the big wigs... it doesn't have to be.

He can't use that route to release a GNR album, he could use that route to release an album under a different band name.

He has a contract for GNR, which is why he is stuck in neutral.

The cool thing about this line-up is that they all have the tools to do this album totally by themselves without any outsiders. Songwriting aside, DJ is knowledgeable about studio stuff and producing, Bumblefoot has tons of experience producing bands and engineering in the studio, and so on. This way, they don't have to worry about outside interference and can make the album that they truly want to make. 2012 could be a very good year for Guns N' Roses. DJ has a good ear for melody so with Axl's input on the arrangements, as well as the input of Bumblefoot and Fortus on the songs, we could potentially have a very cool album in the making.

Yes DJ, we know Axl has "tons" of music finished and that you're writing music for GNR. We've known both since 2009, and well before in terms of Axl having multiple other finished tracks.

To put this in perspective, literally all the songs on Chinese Democracy were written by 2001, how'd that go for all involved?

A few problems:

#1 Axl's track record of having an inability to lay down vocals in what could be considered a timely manner. All well and good that DJ has songs written, but they're just ideas until he collaborates with Axl and the rest of the band in the studio.

#2 Axl's horrible relationship with the label. How are they going to get studio time, marketing, and an eventual release funded by a label & execs that Axl has publicly slammed numerous times? Would Axl agree to anything less that would he believes he deserves?

#3 We still don't know what really kept Chinese Democracy out of record stores until late 2008. Hell, they could record the whole album with vocals included and Axl could simply decide again that he still isn't ready put it out for whatever reason. He's done it before, much to the record company and the fans dismay.

Again, I'm gonna agree with Ron that the only "new" GNR album that I see coming out what could be considered soon are other unreleased CD Era songs, possibly spruced up by DJ. Ron's already recorded on some unreleased songs, so he might not even be needed in a studio capacity.

12 songs and Axl liked it? Wow, never knew Axl was so into cheesy 80's guitar playing... lol. Seriously though, 12 songs... what the fuck is he thinking? That he's the only band member besides Axl? Because the way he said that made it sound like he's the only member writing songs for the next album.

I think in the next 2 years we will see GN'R release SOMETHING whether it be a couple new songs, a box set, or a new album so I'm not too worried about it.

However I'm wondering if Axl will use the rasp if/when they record stuff or the new clean voice (which I would be fine with).