Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

The anti static fibre cloth I used on the records has done wonders and sorted out all the skips at the start of each record, minus one little jump in Billie Jean, but not the end of the world.

All I can say is that Dom S. Sheldon would be immensely proud of my efforts 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

After a bit of digging, I've discovered that George Michael's Symphonica is getting a reissue. I think the cheapest on Discogs goes for £500, it was limited to 500 copies only back in 2014. Great album for those who haven't heard it, the only travesty is that it doesn't include the great performances of Waiting For That Day that particular tour had. Will hopefully get my hands on that when it comes out in June.

• Wow 1

3 hours ago, Dean said:

The anti static fibre cloth I used on the records has done wonders and sorted out all the skips at the start of each record, minus one little jump in Billie Jean, but not the end of the world.

All I can say is that Dom S. Sheldon would be immensely proud of my efforts 😂😂😂

Hell yeah, I'm glad it's nearly fixed. No biggie on Billie Jean since the "Continues" portion is the highlight of the set anyway. 

I lol'd at the Dom Sheldon remark haha

Also, that's great news about the George Michael reissue. I'm gonna have to pick that up for sure. 

• GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Hell yeah, I'm glad it's nearly fixed. No biggie on Billie Jean since the "Continues" portion is the highlight of the set anyway. 

I lol'd at the Dom Sheldon remark haha

Also, that's great news about the George Michael reissue. I'm gonna have to pick that up for sure. 

100% my good sir. I'm delighted at getting it sorted though, as there were a lot of skips originally throughout D.S. and Money particularly, and those have been my jams of late!

I've just stuck on Freddie Mercury's Mr. Bad Guy. Haven't played that on vinyl in about 16 years, it's still held up well!!

• Like 1

Hopefully I'll not be as frequent with posts in this thread next month listing new purchases haha, but just had the reissue of Blind Melon's self titled record along with Terry Reid's Rogue Waves  delivered - haven't actually listened to this in it's entirety yet so I'm looking forward to playing it later. 

I've got more reissues en route too, Prince's self titled effort, the first Ju Ju Hounds record and I believe that is it...

I'm still awaiting this highly sought after record, though it's been confirmed that it's been dispatched so fingers crossing it's here soon. I believe this is the first thing I've purchased outside of the UK since Brexit, so it'd be interesting to see if I need to pay any fees, which would be a slight sting due to the price of it. Here's hoping it's nothing nuts!

I also pulled the trigger on the pre-order of Symphonica - I found it sold out on HMV's site, so I pre-ordered it through France's version of Amazon as for some reason, the UK one hasn't got it listed yet. At least it's done and I can sit back and enjoy people panic selling their original pressings in the meantime - I wish there was a way to tell people across the board that it is being reissued, as I'd guess a lot of these people are bidding on the records thinking that is their only chance of owning it - or they could just be after an original pressing, who knows?!

Edited by Dean
  • Like 1

Gentlemen, what a time to be alive. Absolutely buzzing to finally own this. There was a bit of noise about WU LYF, this turned out to be their only release before calling it a day. One of my favorite records, I highly recommend you check them out.

CF54F1E1-AF16-4251-92A2-D1AC7195E200.jpeg.3a623bd326f01310107a19a729ef4a9b.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dean said:

Gentlemen, what a time to be alive. Absolutely buzzing to finally own this. There was a bit of noise about WU LYF, this turned out to be their only release before calling it a day. One of my favorite records, I highly recommend you check them out.

CF54F1E1-AF16-4251-92A2-D1AC7195E200.jpeg.3a623bd326f01310107a19a729ef4a9b.jpeg

Nice mate. Set up looks good as well. What player is that?

Edited by ToonGuns
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 9:07 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

I managed to cross a 'grail' record off my list yesterday - scored a copy of Foxy Shazam's Introducing for $150. It's one of the most expensive records I've bought, but since I haven't seen one sell for less than $200 in years, I'm pretty happy about it. :D

nice!

I only have church of rock n' roll and a cool variant of the self titled that enjoy the ride records released.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

nice!

I only have church of rock n' roll and a cool variant of the self titled that enjoy the ride records released.

The only one I don't have now is the Church Of Rock N Roll 7", and I can't remember ever seeing one for sale so I'm not holding out hope :lol:

On a side note, Church has become ridiculously "valuable" lately... around the time they released the burn single actually, the price shot up to over $100, sometimes over $200. And the record doesn't even sound good, it was never mastered properly for vinyl... if any of their albums need a repress, it's Church.

Which variant of s/t did you get? I have the regular black first pressing (with the typos on the back) and the handprint haze edition.

• Like 1

Yeah I’ve seen how the value has gone up...love when that happens.

I feel like I remember the church single being at one of the shows I saw when they opened for the darkness but I didn’t buy it unfortunately.

i got the black/white with red splatter split...which is maybe the same one you’re talking about.

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Here's our first product review. All views, likes and comments help a ton :)

Forgot what day of the week it was! Will check that out soon.

I had the Walmart exclusive of GN'R's Greatest Hits delivered just shortly ago- the guy packed it with Men At Work's Business As Usual :lol: No complaints. There was no need in buying it though - I preordered the gold splattered disc before it was officially announced - I just assumed it was a bootleg - but ended up getting the standard black pressing as a gift over Christmas, I was just going to play that and keep the gold one sealed, but the silver splatter is pleasant on the eye. Needs must and all that.

Fuck this band.

22 minutes ago, Dean said:

Forgot what day of the week it was! Will check that out soon.

I had the Walmart exclusive of GN'R's Greatest Hits delivered just shortly ago- the guy packed it with Men At Work's Business As Usual :lol: No complaints. There was no need in buying it though - I preordered the gold splattered disc before it was officially announced - I just assumed it was a bootleg - but ended up getting the standard black pressing as a gift over Christmas, I was just going to play that and keep the gold one sealed, but the silver splatter is pleasant on the eye. Needs must and all that.

Fuck this band.

Man, I love me some Men At Work!

I still don't think I'm gonna end up buying the GN'R GH. I have the 7" for Sympathy, so I think I already own everything on it. 

If I see it cheap one day, I'll probably buy it but it would hare to be like half price or something. I didn't even realize there was a Walmart exclusive version. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

Yeah I’ve seen how the value has gone up...love when that happens.

I feel like I remember the church single being at one of the shows I saw when they opened for the darkness but I didn’t buy it unfortunately.

i got the black/white with red splatter split...which is maybe the same one you’re talking about.

I think the Church 7" might have been a tour exclusive, but either way, they only pressed 100 copies (50 red and 50 blue) so it was gone pretty quickly :lol:

Nice, the black/white and red splatter looks pretty cool. That was the first pressing variant, and the handprint haze was the 2nd pressing.

I'm going cold turkey after Sunday, so spending the next two days trying to pick up The Smiths' The Queen is Dead at a decent price. Just had their self titled effort arrive, so naturally, playing that before work continues ha! Have a great weekend!

• Like 1

Ugh.....I've been waiting years for Mobile Fidelity to finally release their pressing of Run DMC - Raising Hell. I thought I'd pre-ordered it, but I never actually did. 

In any case, they made a Facebook post yesterday saying it was finally released. I saw the post about an hour later but it was sold out before I saw it. 

I cannot believe it missed it! Amazon was still showing it in pre-order status, so I tried ordering one there. We'll see if I get it, but I'm crossing my fingers. 

The other one I've been waiting years for is the Analogue Productions 4 LP 45rpm pressing of Roger Waters - Amused To Death. I had It pm pre order for over a year but it never got released, so I eventually canceled it. Every so often, Analogue Productions changes the status of it from "Coming Soon" to "Pre Order", then they change it back again. It's annoying as hell. 

If/when they finally release it, I'm hoping it goes smoother for me then this Run DMC fiasco. I've actually calmed down with buying expensive reissues like MoFi & AP but Raising Hell and Amused To Death are huge albums to me for personal reasons, so I'm hoping I get to snag both. 

• Sad 1

Bad luck. Hate it when you miss out on an artist you love.

Can you actually tell the difference in quality with all those MoFi releases etc. I tend to go for clean pressings so clearly there's a difference between an ancient piece of scratched crap and a newly remastered release... but over and above that are the differences noticeable?

In my head it'll be like wine... a huge difference between a £5 and £10 bottle of wine, a marginal but noticeable improvement at £20, but anything above that all tastes the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Bad luck. Hate it when you miss out on an artist you love.

Can you actually tell the difference in quality with all those MoFi releases etc. I tend to go for clean pressings so clearly there's a difference between an ancient piece of scratched crap and a newly remastered release... but over and above that are the differences noticeable?

In my head it'll be like wine... a huge difference between a £5 and £10 bottle of wine, a marginal but noticeable improvement at £20, but anything above that all tastes the same.

MoFi is definitely a "beauty is in the mind of the listener" thing, IMO. I have a relatively small amount of MoFi stuff actually but I do really like the ones I have.

Their One Step series is out of this world but they're insanely priced. I have the One Step pressings of Marvin Gaye-What's Going On and Simon & Garfunkel-Bridge Over Troubled Water and I will say they sound the absolute best I've ever heard those albums. Whether they're worth $125 each, is an entirely different story LOL.

With this particular Run DMC album, it's just such a huge part of my childhood that I really want to own it. If it sounds better, awesome. If it sounds similar, I'll still be happy just because it's an album that means a lot to me. I actaully try not to be the guy who collects a bunch of pressings of the same album, but this is one I'll make an exception for.

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 1

Went over to the west side of the state to see an old friend this weekend. We ran to a little record store near his house and they had a copy of Raising Hell! 

I would never have expected a small place like that to carry MoFi stuff, let alone still have Run DMC in stock so I'm super glad we stopped in. 

• Like 3

I haven't been into town since this pandemic, I've actually no idea if non essential shops are even open at the minute. I know some of the places were offering an online service - you let them know what you want and if they have it in stock, you can go and collect it without actually entering the shop. I'd imagine it's still the same just now. I've got a few records still getting shipped out, but I'm hoping I can just live vicariously through you guys to fill the void of purchasing records this month haha.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dean said:

I haven't been into town since this pandemic, I've actually no idea if non essential shops are even open at the minute. I know some of the places were offering an online service - you let them know what you want and if they have it in stock, you can go and collect it without actually entering the shop. I'd imagine it's still the same just now. I've got a few records still getting shipped out, but I'm hoping I can just live vicariously through you guys to fill the void of purchasing records this month haha.

I know the feeling man. The whole "fear of missing out" thing is very real some times buying records. I really calmed down with buying through a lot of last year. One thing I noticed was that I started really listening to a lot of stuff I hadn't listened to in a long time. It was a really good thing to do. 

I've bought more in the past 2 months than I did all of last year, but I need to calm down again soon and enjoy what I have lol. I don't think there's anything coming out soon that I'm dying to own, so I hope that'll help! 

• Like 1