Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

11 hours ago, Dean said:

Those racks look cool as fuck! 
I’ve just purchased a Portuguese pressing of Queen’s Live At Wembley after promising myself that I should have a breather again 😂😂😂

Appropriate...

Queen At Wembley is so worth falling off the wagon for though!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Queen At Wembley is so worth falling off the wagon for though!

Definitely! It's my favourite out of all Queen's live albums. The mix seems to divide taste, but it's balls to the wall and features Freddie in fine form (regardless of overdubbing). The greatest rendition of Under Pressure to my ears. I saved myself about £60 with going for the Portuguese pressing too so I can't grumble. I debated pulling the trigger on Live at the Bowl a few months back but decided against it and thankfully I did, as I probably would have talked myself out of picking up Live at Wembley. One of the fellas that stays up the road from me was at the Saturday show, which is what was released, with a few of his other crowd, my old man included, deciding to go to the last show of the tour at Knebworth. My old man never lived it down as he ended up missing the show due to Celtic playing a pre-season friendly that he went to instead, telling them all that he'd catch them on their next tour....

Shambles!!!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dean said:

Definitely! It's my favourite out of all Queen's live albums. The mix seems to divide taste, but it's balls to the wall and features Freddie in fine form (regardless of overdubbing). The greatest rendition of Under Pressure to my ears. I saved myself about £60 with going for the Portuguese pressing too so I can't grumble. I debated pulling the trigger on Live at the Bowl a few months back but decided against it and thankfully I did, as I probably would have talked myself out of picking up Live at Wembley. One of the fellas that stays up the road from me was at the Saturday show, which is what was released, with a few of his other crowd, my old man included, deciding to go to the last show of the tour at Knebworth. My old man never lived it down as he ended up missing the show due to Celtic playing a pre-season friendly that he went to instead, telling them all that he'd catch them on their next tour....

Shambles!!!!

It's always been my favorite Queen live album. I didn't know there was any debate over the mix but I like the mix quite a bit. 

Totally agree about the version of Under Pressure. To be honest, nearly every song on it is my favorite version of that particular song. Whenever I hear studio versions of any of those songs, I always sing Freddie's adlibs and extras from Wembley over it lol. 

Queen is one of those bands that I never got to see live because they'd finished touring before I was old enough to go to shows. Live At Wembley is one of those albums that makes me almost feel like I did get to see them. It's the same with a few Elvis shows I have from the early 70s.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

It's always been my favorite Queen live album. I didn't know there was any debate over the mix but I like the mix quite a bit. 

Totally agree about the version of Under Pressure. To be honest, nearly every song on it is my favorite version of that particular song. Whenever I hear studio versions of any of those songs, I always sing Freddie's adlibs and extras from Wembley over it lol. 

Queen is one of those bands that I never got to see live because they'd finished touring before I was old enough to go to shows. Live At Wembley is one of those albums that makes me almost feel like I did get to see them. It's the same with a few Elvis shows I have from the early 70s.

Something about it being too loud and John being buried in the mix, but to me, it's perfect. Compare it to Live Killers or Live Magic and it's night and day. Vastly superior in all counts! Ha, I'm with you on that. I love how heavy One Vision and Tie Your Mother Down are, absolutely phenomenal, plus, a homage to their earlier years with bringing back In the Lap of the Gods (Revisited) for their last ever tour. I really love the arrangement of it with Brian and Freddie only at the start. Freddie is a powerhouse vocally throughout the show!

Definitely, you could argue that 20 minute performance of Live Aid having a similar effect also. Just 4 fellas at the very peak of their powers. Untouchable in my eyes. I was speaking with my friend the other day. His old man retired a few months back and treated himself to a new system. I never asked what he got, but he was telling me he was blasting a lot of Sheer Heart Attack lately and we got onto the topic of favourite albums by Queen. He's with his old man in regards to Sheer Heart Attack being his favourite, but I always leaned more towards 80's Queen (live shows were a big part of this), but oddly, I've always loved the posthumous Made In Heaven and it's a record that most of the casual listeners have very rarely heard. A very fitting album to wrap their recording career up with, and the times I have been asked to pick out my favourite, it's been that. The original pressing of that is quite pricey (a mid 90's record though, so it's expected!), the reissue that came in the boxset does the job for me though!

• Like 1

It really pisses me off when descriptions of records don't match up with the actual condition. This is possibly my worst encounter from Discogs. Something that is advertised as VG+ for both media and sleeve wouldn't make me think I'd receive a beat up copy with a few blemishes that effect the play. Another thing that is a really pet hate is when it's not advertised if there is pricing stickers on the covers. Fuck it, I can't be arsed with the hassle, so bought another copy from a reputable seller so hopefully all will be grand and this is just a bump on the road. I've only played one album from the four that I bought from the fella, so will play it by ear tonight when I spin another to see what my next course of action is.

On 3/30/2021 at 2:31 PM, Dean said:

Something about it being too loud and John being buried in the mix, but to me, it's perfect. Compare it to Live Killers or Live Magic and it's night and day. Vastly superior in all counts! Ha, I'm with you on that. I love how heavy One Vision and Tie Your Mother Down are, absolutely phenomenal, plus, a homage to their earlier years with bringing back In the Lap of the Gods (Revisited) for their last ever tour. I really love the arrangement of it with Brian and Freddie only at the start. Freddie is a powerhouse vocally throughout the show!

Definitely, you could argue that 20 minute performance of Live Aid having a similar effect also. Just 4 fellas at the very peak of their powers. Untouchable in my eyes. I was speaking with my friend the other day. His old man retired a few months back and treated himself to a new system. I never asked what he got, but he was telling me he was blasting a lot of Sheer Heart Attack lately and we got onto the topic of favourite albums by Queen. He's with his old man in regards to Sheer Heart Attack being his favourite, but I always leaned more towards 80's Queen (live shows were a big part of this), but oddly, I've always loved the posthumous Made In Heaven and it's a record that most of the casual listeners have very rarely heard. A very fitting album to wrap their recording career up with, and the times I have been asked to pick out my favourite, it's been that. The original pressing of that is quite pricey (a mid 90's record though, so it's expected!), the reissue that came in the boxset does the job for me though!

What do you reckon to the Paul Rodgers album?

A few pages back @RussTCB mentioned Rollin Records. After watching that video he did on bootlegs, I was ready to pull the trigger on Generation Swine... went to Rollin Records and noticed they had It's Five O'clock Somewhere in stock, so I grabbed that instead. If anyone wants to get a copy for $40 usd, here's the link https://rollinrecs.com/slashs-snakepit-its-five-oclock-somewhere/

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

What do you reckon to the Paul Rodgers album?

Production is too dry for my liking, especially on Brian’s guitar. Say It’s Not True is a top top track though, probably in my top 10 Queen, + etc etc tunes.

PR is some fucking chanter. I seen them in your neck of the woods in ‘05 and it was a great show. I much preferred them playing with Paul than Adam. It’s more like a cabaret now, but it fits the sort of audience they aim for, plus, he can cover the full discography no problem at all where as they were limited with what they could do with Paul but he has an edge to his voice that not many of his peers possess.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

A few pages back @RussTCB mentioned Rollin Records. After watching that video he did on bootlegs, I was ready to pull the trigger on Generation Swine... went to Rollin Records and noticed they had It's Five O'clock Somewhere in stock, so I grabbed that instead. If anyone wants to get a copy for $40 usd, here's the link https://rollinrecs.com/slashs-snakepit-its-five-oclock-somewhere/

Oh cool, I'm glad you grabbed both. I only have 2 bootlegs from them so far but both are really high quality. 

24 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh cool, I'm glad you grabbed both. I only have 2 bootlegs from them so far but both are really high quality. 

Only grabbed the Snakepit record but I'm gonna get Generation Swine in the next couple weeks... I'm gonna wait til I've spun the Snakepit record and if the quality is good, I'll probably order GS and the s/t Motley record at the same time.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Only grabbed the Snakepit record but I'm gonna get Generation Swine in the next couple weeks... I'm gonna wait til I've spun the Snakepit record and if the quality is good, I'll probably order GS and the s/t Motley record at the same time.

Vice versa: I'll probably grab Snakepit once I hear from you that it's good. 

The only thing that bothers me about their Crue S/T bootleg is that there's a pic of the band with Vince on one of the inner sleeves. 

Probably not the biggest critique, but it annoys the shit out of me that they did that. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The only thing that bothers me about their Crue S/T bootleg is that there's a pic of the band with Vince on one of the inner sleeves. 

Probably not the biggest critique, but it annoys the shit out of me that they did that. 

I find bootleg issues like that kinda funny. As long as it sounds decent I'm not too bothered about a wrong pic on the sleeve...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Amazing. You could charge an entry fee!

Haha, I've had friends say that for years. There's a small music venue like a mile from from house that books shows like Tom Keifer, John Corabi, Ripper Owens....stuff like that. I have a friend who said I should seriously consider throwing after parties for some of those shows and charging admission lol. 

It's been a REALLY cool place for parties though, that's for sure. I threw an all day party when GN'R kicked off the 2016 tour in Detroit. Powerage and I literally opened out first beers at 9am haha. People came and went all day including a a bunch of forum members along with friends & family. 

Not sure if I've posted about this on here, but Bumble has actually hung out with us there a few times. Playing guitar, spinning records, telling stories and so on. Very cool experiences. I don't share a lot of personal stuff about Bumble but I feel comfortable posting that because he actually commented on the first video I posted on the YouTube channel and said that he hung out with us, so I'm cool with confirming that lol

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 10:18 AM, RussTCB said:

Haha, I've had friends say that for years. There's a small music venue like a mile from from house that books shows like Tom Keifer, John Corabi, Ripper Owens....stuff like that. I have a friend who said I should seriously consider throwing after parties for some of those shows and charging admission lol. 

It's been a REALLY cool place for parties though, that's for sure. I threw an all day party when GN'R kicked off the 2016 tour in Detroit. Powerage and I literally opened out first beers at 9am haha. People came and went all day including a a bunch of forum members along with friends & family. 

Not sure if I've posted about this on here, but Bumble has actually hung out with us there a few times. Playing guitar, spinning records, telling stories and so on. Very cool experiences. I don't share a lot of personal stuff about Bumble but I feel comfortable posting that because he actually commented on the first video I posted on the YouTube channel and said that he hung out with us, so I'm cool with confirming that lol

That Detroit preparty was legendary, one of my favorite days as a GN’R fan. Where’s Izzy?

• GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Same here!

Only things I'll get are the Joe Perry album (finally) and the St. Vincent 7" and those are both in the July drop.

Yeah nothing on there that gets me excited at all. St Vincent is cool though, fantastic guitarist.

I'd be interested in RATM The Battle of Mexico City (but tbh I'm always wary of live albums), and then the Beastie Boys Aglio E Olio. But those two are scrapping at the bottom of the barrel for me.

Slightly off topic - how do y'all store your boxsets? Not a fan of the format (big old cardboard boxes with loads of stuff inside), but I do have a number of them through subscriptions as well as bands that have released entire catalogs etc. Made the decision to just ditch the boxes recently (including any token gestures within them, posters, pins, badges, bandanas, whatever) and just store the vinyl as per normal as if not part of a box set. 

Have all that stuff tucked into a fancy box makes it a pain in the ass for me to get the records out, and noticed I just can't be fucked listening to the stuff because of this. Removing everything from the boxset has worked out well so far. Probably annoys purists though.