April 23rd, 2014 - Golden Gods - Los Angeles, CA - Axl receives "Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award"

Finally just got around to watching the SCOM intro, what the fuck was that?

Try to be more constructive. Say what you liked first.

I watched Axl behind him having a drink & almost expected him to spit it out when DJ started up. I feel sorry for DJ that happened on this particular night of all nights, he can only play it the way he knows & if it doesn't sound good then it's the guitar isn't it? Not his playing? I'm not musically minded so I am presuming this.

I watched Axl behind him having a drink & almost expected him to spit it out when DJ started up. I feel sorry for DJ that happened on this particular night of all nights, he can only play it the way he knows & if it doesn't sound good then it's the guitar isn't it? Not his playing? I'm not musically minded so I am presuming this.

I really don't blame DJ for that one. The tech fucked up there, it happens sometimes

Lmfao Axl looks like a goddamn friendly jack o lantern in that, the sharpness is like deep etches from a butcher's knife.

Like I said, I don't care for MOST of her photos. There's some I think are great, but not a lot.

It's just a few of her colour photos where the post-processing is overdone for me:

2011-axl-rose-dj-ashba.jpg

Axl's face in this one...

This is the result of bad photo-editing. I suppose it might have been intended, to give it an "edgy" look with more punch, but it's not well done.

Whoever was responsible for post-processing this picture was likely using Lightroom. They've applied way too much clarity (Lightroom users will know what I'm talking about). Clarity affects the contrast of the mid-tones in a picture. Use too much clarity and pictures look like this one. I'd love to get the untouched version of this photo and make it better (que the joke about photoshopping DJ right out of it).

• Like 2

2:30 - Axl's reaction is like "What are you doing, get the fuck off me"

3:15 - Lol Nic

Axl had a smile on his face the whole time through Nic's speech. You could tell he was really enjoying it. Thanks for posting the video.

Nic admires all the things about Axl that Axl is proud of. I think that's what made Axl happy. Nobody was giving him crap for playing piano, nic didn't call him the most dangerous singer ever or mention how his attitude made him awesome. Nic just said Axl is one of a kind. He mentioned his writing, his playing, his voice, and the fact that we will basically never see anyone as amazing as Axl because he is truly one of a kind. It was a great speech and Axl looked very proud that those words came out.

• Like 1

It's the guitar tech's fault for handing him an out of tune guitar, but it's up to DJ to stop playing immediately/tell one of the other guys to play to the outro and get a new guitar straight away.

It's the guitar tech's fault for handing him an out of tune guitar, but it's up to DJ to stop playing immediately/tell one of the other guys to play to the outro and get a new guitar straight away.

This. DJ should have given Bumble the nod to take over while he switched guitars. They barely would have had to stop the song in that case. Sure, it would have seemed silly that Axl just introduced DJ only to have Bumble take over but it would have been the more professional thing to do. Granted, DJ switches guitars right after the intro but the damage had been done by that point.

All I asked was for people to start putting a little more thought into their criticisms instead of posting the same things over and over again.

We got a much more interesting conversation going than the usual circlejerk. I never said that necessitated positivity. :shrugs:

The one-liners, constant ridiculing and whatever else aren't what keep people coming back here.

• Like 2

I think he seemed really frustrated with how his voice was going at the beginning, going back and forth between rasp n Mickey, but I have to admit it he really did seem like he was trying to give a good show. It was more sad then how some people are saying lazy n pathetic. I'm not defending the guy or band, but yeah I wouldn't pay $100 to see him like that.

I saw them in 06 and he was pretty good then, but he also did still sometimes use the softer voice, just nowhere near this much and he seemed to know how to time it. I honestly felt bad for the guy after this I love, and it took me a lot of effort to finish watching the show even though gnr is by far my favorite band.

Had his guitar been tuned incorrectly, Bumblefoot would've bended the strings properly to achieve the proper sound in SCOM.

That or changed positions or something. In DJ's defense it's not always easy to do on the spot position changes when you're so used to doing it a certain way but Bumble likely would have taken that route.

Had his guitar been tuned incorrectly, Bumblefoot would've bended the strings properly to achieve the proper sound in SCOM.

I'm sure BBF could have transposed it, sure.

In DJ's case, he really could have just stopped and grabbed the other guitar if he wasn't up to doing that technically. I'm not going to crucify him for not making that decision in the heat of the moment, but he really should have.

• Like 1

I'm sure BBF could have transposed it, sure.

In DJ's case, he really could have just stopped and grabbed the other guitar if he wasn't up to doing that technically. I'm not going to crucify him for not making that decision in the heat of the moment, but he really should have.

With all that build-up, I guess he found it hard to go back. I'm not the guy's biggest fan but I think it's one of those cases where it's easy to see how to do things otherwise in hindsight.

Still no word on why Korn bailed, nothing on any of their sites and I can't find an active Korn message board. But because they didn't turn up we were blessed with Suicide Silence, yay!

After watching this the first 3 or 4 songs went pretty good. Then his voice would not handle the rasp. Not that it was extremely great on the other songs.

He tried numerous times to use the rasp but his vocal cords just would not do it, It really looked to me like it hurt him to use rasp or try to use rasp, you could see it in his face later in the show.

I think he still has rasp but his vocal cords just will not take it and really hurt him because he really sounds uncomfortable after trying to use rasp.

I think with all the years of abusing his vocal cords have finally caught up with him.

I figure before Rio 2011 he was either recording or getting ready for the up and coming tour and blowed his voice out.

After Rio they said he was sick for the show but I don't think he was and they just figured his voice would come back in a week or so but it never recovered.

Instead of canceling shows and getting it fix, if possible, he gutted out the tour and that caused the damage to be so bad that it could not be fixed.

Using him being lazy as to why the rasp isn't there is a stretch because in the past he always started out tours after a lay off with his voice being weak and by the first 2-3 weeks he had the power again, but now it doesn't matter how much they tour it doesn't get better over time it gets worse.

This is just a theory no real info to back it up but it really does fit the timeline of Axl's vocals very well.

Edited by bigcountry
  • Like 1

on way back home east. In airport, just got my first chance to watch. Why are people saying he sounded bad?? Easy sounded awesome, Jungle, awesome, Better, totally awesome, Then TIL (totally saw a closeup of me singing during the muted verse. so cool, lol). I just don't get it. Inb4 deaf & blind.

• Like 3

When he started on YCBM I was like "no way..he's going to do it! Full rasp!" Then he got to the next line and I just said "ohh..never mind" but that's fine. Like I said earlier I'm proud of Axl. That was his night. It was his honor He sang as well as he could. He's not singing clean because he hates us...it's just all he has right now.

I'm sure he could dedicate more time to working on his voice, and I hope he does. I still think he has a lot to offer as an artist and performer.

• Like 1

on way back home east. In airport, just got my first chance to watch. Why are people saying he sounded bad?? Easy sounded awesome, Jungle, awesome, Better, totally awesome, Then TIL (totally saw a closeup of me singing during the muted verse. so cool, lol). I just don't get it. Inb4 deaf & blind.

I dunno man, I give you a pass if you said he sounded great AT the gig. but watching the playback on the internet sounds good to you? not sure if serious?

go ahead and show those videos to an impartial person see what they think...

Edited by PITBOSS

It's So Easy was good as always.

Jungle was pretty good too.

Better had its moments. I prefer the raspy voice during the verses but it's still a pretty decent performance.

I didn't watch This I Love or Sweet Child (couldn't get passed the horrible intro).

Paradise City wasnt great but also wasn't horrible. Reminded me of VMA 2002.

With that said I think people have been over reacting to how Axl sounded on the show.

• Like 2