The love/sex/relationship thread

Lithium

It's quite simple, really. I don't really subscribe to the theory that the 'friendzone' is an exclusively female-male phenomenon. There are some lassies I love to bits as pals, but I know that I'm not attracted to in a romantic way or a sexual way (and those two aren't necessarily the same thing either). At age 14, I maybe hoped that one day I'd sweep her off her feet (though I was too shy to ever try at that stage in my life), but I've been around her for long enough to know the way she looks and behaves around people she is attracted to, and it's a completely different way to how she acts towards me. I don't think there's anything I could do to change that. Not the way I'd want it, but I'm not sure it's my 'fault', as such...

From society's point of view, there's nothing fucking admirable about unrequited lovers, is there? You're not good enough to get the girl. You must not be man enough, attractive enough, confident enough... you're the 'beta male' that watches, broken-hearted as your love interest ignores you for a string of assertive, abusive douchebags or you're that creepy guy that offers a lassie a shoulder to cry on while nursing the erection to end all boners.

Boring fucking clichés. I guess I'm trying to describe the situation without sounding like Miser who basically consistently tried to depict his love life as some sort of Hollywood drama. Real life is not a high-school movie, but this is one of these situations which does occur quite a lot in fiction, so it's difficult to describe it without resorting to tired metaphors.

There's a very slim chance I could be completely and utterly wrong, I've never actually talked to her about it (the last time I saw her was before I'd ever asked a girl out), but I like to think I'm a canny enough judge of character to know whether or not it would be worthwhile, and my instincts tell me not. It's not as if I'm pining miserably for something that will never happen, she's been out of my life for a long time and I've been totally fine, I was just reminded tonight of how much I enjoy her company, and it's made me reflective.

Edited by classicrawker

It's quite simple, really. I don't really subscribe to the theory that the 'friendzone' is an exclusively female-male phenomenon. There are some lassies I love to bits as pals, but I know that I'm not attracted to in a romantic way or a sexual way (and those two aren't necessarily the same thing either). At age 14, I maybe hoped that one day I'd sweep her off her feet (though I was too shy to ever try at that stage in my life), but I've been around her for long enough to know the way she looks and behaves around people she is attracted to, and it's a completely different way to how she acts towards me. I don't think there's anything I could do to change that. Not the way I'd want it, but I'm not sure it's my 'fault', as such...

From society's point of view, there's nothing fucking admirable about unrequited lovers, is there? You're not good enough to get the girl. You must not be man enough, attractive enough, confident enough... you're the 'beta male' that watches, broken-hearted as your love interest ignores you for a string of assertive, abusive douchebags or you're that creepy guy that offers a lassie a shoulder to cry on while nursing the erection to end all boners.

Boring fucking clichés. I guess I'm trying to describe the situation without sounding like Miser who basically consistently tried to depict his love life as some sort of Hollywood drama. Real life is not a high-school movie, but this is one of these situations which does occur quite a lot in fiction, so it's difficult to describe it without resorting to tired metaphors.

There's a very slim chance I could be completely and utterly wrong, I've never actually talked to her about it (the last time I saw her was before I'd ever asked a girl out), but I like to think I'm a canny enough judge of character to know whether or not it would be worthwhile, and my instincts tell me not. It's not as if I'm pining miserably for something that will never happen, she's been out of my life for a long time and I've been totally fine, I was just reminded tonight of how much I enjoy her company, and it's made me reflective.

Hang on a minute, I describe the above mentality as a boring cliché that doesn't actually reflect the complexity of relationships between men and women, and your riposte is quoting a Hollywood Romantic Comedy which, if anything only serves to reinforce these cultural archetypes? :lol:

Hang on a minute, I describe the above mentality as a boring cliché that doesn't actually reflect the complexity of relationships between men and women, and your riposte is quoting a Hollywood Romantic Comedy which, if anything only serves to reinforce these cultural archetypes? :lol:

glad you enjoyed it....... :lol:

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

Sorry I'm just going to continue Nate's religious theme here.

Today I started learning Natural Family Planning. It's less scary than it looks. :)

As far as prevention goes it is not scary at all, just not very efficient. What is somewhat scary is that a large share of humans in 2015 rejects "artificial" prevention methods that both may reduce the spread of diseases and are quite efficient at preventing pregancies for "natural" prevention methods that are neither, out of no apparent good reason at all.

Genuine question, other than pulling out, handjobs, anal and oral, what are suggested methods for sexual activity to prevent children then?

I'm very sexually naive having been brought up in a household where discussion didn't happen.

Well prayer has worked for me after a couple of one night stands. :lol:

So my girlfriend is kind of going through a period of crisis with regards to career, her path in life in general, etc. That's okay. I'm here for her and support her and I am committed to her. But she often has these breakdowns and gets into crying fits and such, and it is kind of taxing honestly. Then I think she looks for affirmation or something, and she wants to be intimate. But I am just not in the mood after I've just been subject to one of her crying fits. And that upsets her even more. I don't know what the hell to do. Do I just give in, even though I'm not feeling it? I've explained to her that she doesn't seem to get that, if I'm to be the stable one there for her during her crisis, that I can be there for her throughout it, but I can't meet her at her every peak and valley, that I need to be constant and in the middle so she can stabilize with me. I respect her crisis and I want to be there the best I can, but my emotions don't go roller coaster like hers. I can't go from watching her sob one minute to wanting to be sexy the next.

So my girlfriend is kind of going through a period of crisis with regards to career, her path in life in general, etc. That's okay. I'm here for her and support her and I am committed to her. But she often has these breakdowns and gets into crying fits and such, and it is kind of taxing honestly. Then I think she looks for affirmation or something, and she wants to be intimate. But I am just not in the mood after I've just been subject to one of her crying fits. And that upsets her even more. I don't know what the hell to do. Do I just give in, even though I'm not feeling it? I've explained to her that she doesn't seem to get that, if I'm to be the stable one there for her during her crisis, that I can be there for her throughout it, but I can't meet her at her every peak and valley, that I need to be constant and in the middle so she can stabilize with me. I respect her crisis and I want to be there the best I can, but my emotions don't go roller coaster like hers. I can't go from watching her sob one minute to wanting to be sexy the next.

Jump on her before she starts crying.

I guess I just don't understand women. It's fucking true; men's emotions are far more simplistic. I don't get why her emotions are all over the spectrum, and I don't get why she cries so much. It's a very rare thing that would cause me to cry. Pretty much somebody close to me would have to die. I am trying my best to be there for her, but it's difficult when I just don't understand.

Genuine question, other than pulling out, handjobs, anal and oral, what are suggested methods for sexual activity to prevent children then?

The premise of natural family planning is that during a woman's cycle, she has fertile and infertile days. These can be detected through symptoms such as a change in body temperature (as well as a few other aspects which should correlate). From there you can decide to have unprotected sex based on either if you want to achieve or avoid pregnancy.

I understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I understand that it's not as easy to use as artificial contraception, but I'm giving it a shot, as it might work for my relationship. SoulMonster's photos of his daughter are a brilliant advert for parenthood anyway. :)

• Like 1

The premise of natural family planning is that during a woman's cycle, she has fertile and infertile days. These can be detected through symptoms such as a change in body temperature (as well as a few other aspects which should correlate). From there you can decide to have unprotected sex based on either if you want to achieve or avoid pregnancy.

I understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I understand that it's not as easy to use as artificial contraception, but I'm giving it a shot, as it might work for my relationship. SoulMonster's photos of his daughter are a brilliant advert for parenthood anyway. :)

Awwwwww, a baby Grace! If its a boy name it Leonard! Edited by Len B'stard

Awwwwww, a baby Grace! If its a boy name it Leonard!

I do love the name Leon, with Lenny as a nickname. My husband hates all my baby name suggestions though. So we'll probably end up compromising with a Quazar Jerome or something.

Edited by Gracii Guns

Not only is paying attention to one's cycle important when you want to avoid pregancies, even if you are using contraceptives (cause they are not 100 % efficient) it is bloody important when you want to make them happen, too :D My wife had irregular periods and we had to use all kinds of methods to keep track of ovulation periods to get her pregnant. It was like the reverse of Natural Family Planning, at least when it comes to preventing it :) It was also like, "have to go home early today, my wife is ovulating and we're gonna have sexy time".

• Like 1

I'm very sexually naive having been brought up in a household where discussion didn't happen.

The most effective methods are the IUD (an implant the girl gets) or the birth control pill.

If you have trust issues, bag it up and pull out for added security.

Obviously I'm aware of those, I'm talking about when modern methods aren't appropriate for reasons of faith or similar.

I don't get the MILF spam, I just get the foreign (eastern european) women messages about how Anastaycia or whoever wants to have long conversation and fun times with me.

Who actually falls for this shit?

In other news, woot, evening to myself for another hour and a half before I am cooking up something nice for the lady.

EDIT:

Well pointless me looking forward to that. Pulled away from a kiss, commented she smelt smokey hence me pulling out, then got in a tizzy that I had accused her of smoking. Didn't accuse her of that, simply made an observation that she smelt and tasted smokey.

Fucking stupid. She doesn't smoke, and she wouldn't be stupid enough to smoke, particularly when she's about to come home. Just puts me in a bad mood that I made a completely innocent comment, worded poorly I guess, and it's my fault.

Edited by Chris1989