[RUMOR] New album coming in 2015 according to Kaneda

Lyrically CD is terrible. Garbage.

Where do I start?

''I'll kick your arse like I said that I would''

''Sitting in a Chinese stew''

''I think i'll call the president, the cia, the fbi'' etc

It is awful. It does not even fulfill the requirements of 'manic depressive rock' a la Nirvana. It is too shit for that.

Snapshots from select songs, IRS is a little weak lyrically and I think that's pretty accepted, but on the whole I think the lyrics on CD are pretty good, a good continuation on from UYI I & II in my opinion. If Axl felt the lyrics, that's really all that matters, he would tell you himself that he writes for himself, not you.

Some bad lyrics but on the whole the quality was pretty high (Better, This I love, There was a time, Street of dreams) all of which have great vocals/lyrics... I also like CD, Shackler, Sorry, sometimes prostitute (which I include in the bad songs from the album like scraped and rhiad).

Please point out the great lyrics in This I Love and Street of Dreams. :)

I've always liked a lot of lyrics in The Blues (I refuse to call it by the other name lol). In particular the lines "What this means to me is more than I know you believe. What I thought of you, has cost more than it should for me"

Yeah, I know it's just more of Axl blaming everyone else, but I still like it.

I've always liked a lot of lyrics in The Blues (I refuse to call it by the other name lol). In particular the lines "What this means to me is more than I know you believe. What I thought of you, has cost more than it should for me"

I like the vocal delivery of those lines but not the lyrics. And it doesn't help that he basically repeats the same whiny bullshit the entire album, of course.

If my intentions are misunderstood,
Please be kind
I've done all I should.

I like the vocal delivery of those lines but not the lyrics. And it doesn't help that he basically repeats the same whiny bullshit the entire album, of course.

Please be kind
I've done all I should.

Sounds like Prostitute needs a second, third, forth or eighth look. I may write an essay on it.

• Like 2

Please be kind

I've done all I should.

You're not... Prostitute is great all round.

Chinese Democracy lyrics are absolute garbage. Axl, while not the greatest lyricist ever, had delivered many memorial lyrics throughout the years. I think the reason why CD lyrics suck immensely is because Axl let his demons get the best of him.

Fair enough, you are maybe right. The endless editing, needing to make the album perfect, changing it after every leak, would definitely point to demons getting the better of Axl...

Personally I think TWAT, Better, Prostitute, Catcher all have great lyrics though.

I don't know, it wasn't the 90s anymore so, writing lyrics fueled with bitterness and hatred towards former members of your band? Really? 13 years in the making for that?

Personally, I love lyrics like Civil War, I know many people find them ridiculous but I simply love them, you read them, you sing them and you kind of understand what the man is trying to say and the best part? It actually makes sense. Can't say the same about CD lyrics like "gonna call the IRS or the FBI" or whatever he's saying in that song.

Shotgun Blues

How can a song that includes the lyric "And you....you can suck my ass" not be considered brilliant?!

edit-

That might not even be the right lyrics. I've listened to that song maybe 5 times ever. I just think I remember something horrific like that in it

• Like 2

As a whole Axl wrote some great lyrics during the Illusion era, yes some shitty songs back then like Shotgun blues, Back off bitch, and My World. But the good far outweighed the bad. CD on the other hand is a step back lyrically IMO. While it is still pretty good for the most part, the lyrics are more bitter, while the Illusion lyrics were more introspective. That's why I prefer them, I can relate to them more. Most of CD's lyrics are trying to prove himself, bitter towards break ups, and vindicating his choices. Those concepts are a little more difficult for people like us to relate to, hence their inferiority. Despite the lack of a proper chorus, the lyrics to Breakdown are FAR superior than anything on CD. Plus when you add Coma, Locotive, NR, Don't Cry, YCBM, etc, etc. They just blow away CD's lyrics. But again, a lot of that has to do with the relatability of those lyrics.

Please be kind
I've done all I should.

Sounds like Prostitute needs a second, third, forth or eighth look. I may write an essay on it.

:lol:

Prostitute is OK in my book. Lyrics are trash in places and Axl should have done a much better job with the vocals, but it's far and away the best song on the album, imo.

I like the song Chinese Democracy. It's just a song about resilience and staying strong despite being oppressed.

"Blame it on the Falun Gong

They've seen the end and it can't hold on now"

I like this line because of the anger towards believers of Falun Gong in the 90's and how they were in search of a new kind of spiritual freedom and yet the government imposed strict treatment on the protestors and supporters.

I guess what Axl is saying here is these supporters have seen freedom and there's no going back. Blaming the "Falun Gong" is pretty straight forward. China placing their political issues on a small spiritual movement,

Anyways cool little line there and pretty smart of Axl to understand some issues going on in another country. Also if your going to write a song about Chinese Democracy then this was a cool way of going about it.

"Although the practice initially enjoyed considerable support from Chinese officialdom, by the mid- to late-1990s, the Communist Party and public security organizations increasingly viewed Falun Gong as a potential threat due to its size, independence from the state, and spiritual teachings. By 1999, some estimates placed the number of Falun Gong practitioners in the tens of millions. Tensions culminated in April 1999, when over 10,000 Falun Gong practitioners gathered peacefully near the central government compound in Beijing to request legal recognition and freedom from state interference. This demonstration is widely seen as catalyzing the suppression that followed.

On 20 July 1999, the Communist Party leadership initiated a nationwide crackdown and multifaceted propaganda campaign intended to eradicate the practice. It blocked Internet access to websites that mention Falun Gong, and in October 1999 it declared Falun Gong a "heretical organization" that threatened social stability. Human rights groups report that Falun Gong practitioners in China are subject to a wide range of human rights abuses: hundreds of thousands are estimated to have been imprisoned extrajudicially, and practitioners in detention are subject to forced labor, psychiatric abuse, torture, and other coercive methods of thought reform at the hands of Chinese authorities.[1] As of 2009 at least 2,000 Falun Gong adherents had died as a result of abuse in custody,[2] with some observers putting the number much higher. In the years since the suppression campaign began, Falun Gong adherents have become active in advocating for greater human rights and an end to Communist Party rule.

Falun Gong founder Li Hongzhi has lived in the United States since 1996, and Falun Gong has a sizable global constituency. Inside China, some sources estimate that millions may continue to practice Falun Gong in spite of suppression. Hundreds of thousands are estimated to practice Falun Gong outside China across some 70 countries worldwide."

The Falun Gong is really Axl's reason behind Chinese Democracy so it's a cool little read if you have time to learn about this group and their fight for freedom and independence that continues on to this day

• Like 1

What I like in a lyric may just be the same thing you hate. "What I thought was true before Were lies I couldn't see, What I thought was beautiful

Is only memories" I don't know I like those lyrics... :) as for This I love, that's just a brilliant love song from top to bottom, there's not any one lyric from the song that I would spotlight, it just works and really tells a story.

I will fully admit that I care more for a great melody than a great lyric, I listen mainly to the melodies and over time I listen to the lyrics.

• Like 1