New Richard Interview - Talks about new music

Richard gave an exclusive interview to a Cuban newspaper. It is in spanish obviously but I translated it. It may be a little weird because the interviewer did it in english, then translated it to spanish and publish it and now I am retranslating it back to english.

«Being in Cuba is a lifetime experience. Something I never thought it could happen», pointed Fortus, who studied in South Illinois University.

— How did a Saint Louis, Missouri's boy follow the rock-path when he was surrounded by Jazz?

—It's a long story. In Saint Louis you listen to Chuck Berry and others that were born there. There is certainly a lot of blues in town, but it is also a rock and roll city, not just jazz.

— You mention Jazz and I know you love blues, is there any not fulfilled dream about it?

— I love blues and jazz. They are part of my life. I grew up with them. I don't think I'm done with both stlyes, it would not make sense. I play those a lot, you know. I do it with orchestras in the US. I don't have intentios of playing solo, but I like playing with groups of this genre like Kim Massey and others.

—How much bands like Pale Divine, The Psychedalic Furs and Love Spit Love did influence your playing?

—All of those groups are part of me. I wrote song for them. I'm proud of have participated in those gropus, even though now I am with Guns n’ Roses and The Dead Daisies.

— The 2000s were amazing for you: You joined Guns N' Roses. What was the first thought that come through your mind when you were told 'You are part of the band'?

—It was a long time ago. I think it's been like 13 years. They gave me the news almost at the end of 2001. What effect it had? I had a little doubts. Obviously, I knew who they were, and the band members and their work, wich I liked a lot. It was different than other groups. But it was also another style, a lot different than what I was doing. However, I was very happy because I had friends in the group and I would play with them.

In that time Tommy Stinson, Robin Finck and Bryan Mantia were very good friends of mine. To me it was an interesting experience and I wanted to be a part of it.

-Guns N' Roses has marked hard rock in a phenomenal way. How is the band doing right now? There will be any new album?

— We are recording right now. We are finishing it. Right now we are thinking of releasing something new this year. I don't know if a full album, but there will be new music. And the band is doing great!

—Guns N' Roses would come to Cuba someday?

—I hope so. When we return home, we are going to talk great about this experience here in Cuba.

—Maybe you could convince Axl of coming

—I'll try. It's gonna be tough, but with what The Dead Daisies has been doing here, it will open the road to others bands to come here.

There is a couple more questions about The Dead Daises in the source, but this is all the GN'R related talk.

Sorry if there is any grammar mistake. Enligsh isn't my native language

Source (in spanish): www.juventudrebelde.cu/cultura/2015-02-27/espero-venir-con-guns-n-roses-a-cuba/

Edited by Manfisman
  • Like 1

What a joke if they release only one song. Lol Better Gone style shit.

Album or nothing.

Chinese Leftovers, then call it a day.

As long as it's actually something new ( or raspy TIL or something like that ) I'll take what we can get.

Granted, I'm expecting any new release to come out under the implication that they're going to, eventually, release another album. Hell, just release some sorta CD II EP with the Remix thrown in as a bonus ( or even just the remix with a few new CD b-tracks ). Would at least buy more time and satiate fans for a while longer. I really dunno what the deal is with the Remix is though, just release that for free through the Night Train club or Itunes or whatever.

Again, I go back to my theory (that's based on my own hunch, not on anything anyone has told me), that the band is recording stuff that isn't dependent on finding a replacement for Ron. I doubt this band will ever totally remake the setlist - it will always be heavy on the hits and classics. But I think we'll see the band release three or four new tunes to replace some of the Chinese Democracy stuff that needs your Bucket/Bumble virtuouso player.

Axl said the album is done, and now Richard is saying they're recording more stuff.

Axl did this in 2007 with Chinese as well: he said in 2006 about a release that "it's this year" which means the album was "done" in 2006 and then he decided to add Bumble and Frank and more recordings.

Maybe now the album is "done" and it's the same process of adding some final recordings and instead of Bumble and Frank, it's Ashba and Fortus this time.

Edited by Rovim

I often like to sit around and think about releasing something. Now we know what Axl's problem is.

Axl IS the problem. No one else. Too insecure and precious about his music, too lazy and stubborn and too obsessive without the ability to let go when the creative process should have been concluded.

• Like 1

It's a bit more positive and concrete than the Mitch Lafon interview where he described the album as plugging away with stops and starts. I wonder if there have been new developments in the last couple of weeks or it's just a difference in choice of words.

Yes but it doesn´t add up. One day the guy says no new album any time soon. But the next day he says exactly the opposite. Go figure! :shrugs:

Edited by Padme

I'm pretty sure we will have an EP or the remix album this year.

Would be funny if Axl released an EP so soon after Bumble left. I don't really see Axl releasing an EP. I think he'll release a complete album and perhaps the remix album.

We're beginning to look seriously into what we're doing in regard to thinking about releasing something this year.

It's that simple. Not a good idea to rush these things. Everything is fine. Axl got a plan.