Why did they make a video for Garden of Eden?

Okay so it's not the worst of tracks, but it's not great either; a bit of a filler in my opinion. There are probably a dozen tracks off UYI I would consider more worthy of doing a video release for. Plus, was it ever actually played live?

It just seems a totally unlikely candidate for producing and releasing a video for. My guess is that they felt they should put out a more hard rock sounding song after the succession of slowies they'd put out. Just to remind MTV viewers they were still a hard rock band. But still, would you have opted for Eden?

Edited by Nice Boy

Yeah but given that it was a low profile song, I just wonder why it was chosen.

Anyway at least the video must have been cheap to make. Just them jumping around in front of a fisheye lens with that stupid bouncing-ball-on-subtitles thing going on. No dolphins, no aircraft carriers or helicopters, and definitely no cakes. 

• Like 1

I always liked the video and the song too. Granted, it is not one of the AAA tracks on the UYI records, but when I first heard it on a school friend's tape Walkman it was like being hit by a train. I think the lyrics are great and the guitar work is dirty. They could have done with more up tempo stuff at this point in the band. It always seemed that they were insistent on cramming a honky tonk piano into a track, film samples or even 112 piece orchestras. 

• Like 1

That Bad Apples video was never released as official music video. It's just a part of the "making of don't cry" VHS that was released in '92 or '93, if i remember correctly. The footage used is nothing but the band performing don't cry on top of a skyscraper.

• Like 1

The only travesty of the UYI Era is that "Don't Damn Me" & "Get In The Ring" never got played live or videos made. I think Locomotive & Coma would have been great canvas' for videos in their excess UYI Era.

Garden Of Eden is a badass song leave it ALONE!. The bouncy ball and how the band is rockin' is just awesome! Love this tune!.

• Like 1