Ticket Demand?

6 minutes ago, dally said:

Fuck that is bad, not that much of a marked for stadiums afterall... Should have been a indoor arena tour instead?

Well, they basically sold out the July 1 Chicago show in about 2 days.  Then they let the buzz die and announced a second show a few weeks later with little fanfare...

1) The prices should have been lower from the start. Not counting VIP packages, the top tier should have been no more than say $175 after fees. There should have also been a $20-$30 option for those just wanting to check it out - obstructed view tickets at the back of the upper decks. The rest could fall into that range.

2) Second shows should have been announced right away. They let the buzz and ticket race die off before any second shows came along.

3) The obvious: more promotion. Even if they have a wave of interviews planned, it's too little too late. The most casual fan who checked it out initially and said "fuck it" to the prices isn't suddenly going to be lured back. More hype and lower prices initially would have helped that.

4) As an offshoot to the promotion point - how about a band photo? Even if it's just the big three in the picture. I've actually met people, casual rock fans, who don't even realize Slash and Duff are back.

• Like 4

Would more promotion really do much more though? Sure, it couldn't hurt but I don't remember ACDC, Macca, or The Stones doing a lot for their stadium tours when I saw them. It was tour announcement and then show. ACDC announced theirs like a year in advance with much cheaper prices too. U2 had a ton of promotion when I saw their stadium tour, though.

I don't kmoq, I still think it's the prices more than anything

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Would more promotion really do much more though? Sure, it couldn't hurt but I don't remember ACDC, Macca, or The Stones doing a lot for their stadium tours when I saw them. It was tour announcement and then show. ACDC announced theirs like a year in advance with much cheaper prices too. U2 had a ton of promotion when I saw their stadium tour, though.

Definitely prices more than anything, but more promotion would have helped even the current prices. Promotion plus lower prices should have gone hand in hand.

38 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

We've got 3 sold out shows. Only 3. What an incredibly historic tour!

I don't need my show to be sold out, but damn, it'd be nice if half of the floor and half of every section wasn't empty.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

It would certainly help. Don't forget that AC/DC are promoting an album with music videos and do things correctly with their online content. Just look at what we've seen with Axl/DC? Radio and television interviews, band photo shoots - this all preceded the European tour. Axl has been more active in the public eye than during the entire 1994 - 2015 period just for being in AC/DC haha!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't need my show to be sold out, but damn, it'd be nice if half of the floor and half of every section wasn't empty.

Agreed, as long as there aren't rows and rows of empty sections I'm good. I still think Detroit may be ok, but the second chicago and boston shows are fucked

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It would certainly help. Don't forget that AC/DC are promoting an album with music videos and do things correctly with their online content. Just look at what we've seen with Axl/DC? Radio and television interviews, band photo shoots - this all preceded the European tour. Axl has been more active in the public eye than during the entire 1994 - 2015 period just for being in AC/DC haha!

All very true

32 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

This is a novelty act, $200-$300 is a premium price, and this fanbase has been mistreated for two decades.

No amount of promotion is going to soothe those wounds. Thusly, it's entirely unsurprising that the tour isn't selling like hotcakes. 

The truth is it's probably selling maybe 25-50% better than New Gn'R did in 2006. 

It's definitely selling way more than that for NuGNR. Probably enough to warrant a stadium in Detroit, but it's not great. Comerica Park would have been way better. This tour should have been baseball stadiums

56 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The whole momentum dissipated after the Troubadour and Vegas shows. You had this momentum leading into the announcement of a tour and then nothing, no interviews, no television appearances, zilch.

My same feeling.  I was so pumped after going to the Vegas shows and then the excitement has kinda just faded away....the whole Axl/DC thing hasn't helped things on the GnR front either (IMO).

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

1) The prices should have been lower from the start. Not counting VIP packages, the top tier should have been no more than say $175 after fees. There should have also been a $20-$30 option for those just wanting to check it out - obstructed view tickets at the back of the upper decks. The rest could fall into that range.

2) Second shows should have been announced right away. They let the buzz and ticket race die off before any second shows came along.

3) The obvious: more promotion. Even if they have a wave of interviews planned, it's too little too late. The most casual fan who checked it out initially and said "fuck it" to the prices isn't suddenly going to be lured back. More hype and lower prices initially would have helped that.

4) As an offshoot to the promotion point - how about a band photo? Even if it's just the big three in the picture. I've actually met people, casual rock fans, who don't even realize Slash and Duff are back.

who is the management behind this tour, Team Brazil? are they the ones who set the prices and waited a few weeks to add the shows?

When Axl and Slash reunited + and the stadium dates were announced, I immediately thought "How exciting! The guys are back!" and as time progressed, you realize that the majority of the folks thought Slash was in the band this whole time (I've had many people personally act surprised when I told them that wasn't the case). So at the end of the day, I think the potential was there, and management obviously felt that they could pull those ticket sales with the duo reuniting. Now, we can see this is not the case. Although some areas are selling very well, but the majority are not. It really sucks, because I was really excited to see GNR on the big stage again, but playing on a big stage at a big venue to a small crowd is about as bad as it gets. We'll see what happens.

Edited by Un42nutzly

3 minutes ago, Un42nutzly said:

When Axl and Slash reunited + and the stadium dates were announced, I immediately thought "How exciting! The guys are back!" and as time progressed, you realize that the majority of the folks thought Slash was in the band this whole time (I've had many people personally act surprised when I told them that wasn't the case). So at the end of the day, I think the potential was there, and management obviously felt that they could pull those ticket sales with the duo reuniting. Now, we can see this is not the case. Although some areas are selling very well, but the majority are not. 

Seriously?  I wear my Vegas shirt quite frequently out and about and inevitably the comment I get is why would you go see them without Slash....or something to the effect that thy don't know Slash has re-joined the band.  I've never heard anyone say they didn't know Slash had ever left.  

10 minutes ago, k12 said:

who is the management behind this tour, Team Brazil? are they the ones who set the prices and waited a few weeks to add the shows?

TB is band management but Ticketmaster is running and promoting the tour (at least in the States).  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

This is a novelty act, $200-$300 is a premium price, and this fanbase has been mistreated for two decades.

No amount of promotion is going to soothe those wounds. Thusly, it's entirely unsurprising that the tour isn't selling like hotcakes. 

The truth is it's probably selling maybe 25-50% better than New Gn'R did in 2006. 

$200-$300 is for the mediocre "good" seats, the "good" seats they are selling in absurd VIP packages for like $500-$1,800

I knew when the prices were announced it was going to sell lousy, seeing a show in a stadium is a horrible experience, this is not a real reunion and the average fan is not going to pay the absurd prices they are charging

23 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Seriously?  I wear my Vegas shirt quite frequently out and about and inevitably the comment I get is why would you go see them without Slash....or something to the effect that thy don't know Slash has re-joined the band.  I've never heard anyone say they didn't know Slash had ever left.  

Yeah I have some family members and co-workers who like the singles (1 who actually SAW them in 2011 @ Dallas, TX). They thought Slash had been with them through the years. I figured that was the main consensus. Through the years we have seen Nu-GNR go from pavillions down to clubs, stating it was to give fans an up close and personal experience. More likely, it was due to the band losing hype through the years, and as we can see, not even Slash + Duff rejoining can regain the hype. Maybe with the right publicity they could have maintained (and extended) the hype that was obvious at the beginning...  but as of now, with the ticket prices where they are now, It appears we will be in for some empty shows in the States. 

Edited by Un42nutzly

19 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

What do you mean by "good seat"?

The ticket prices are overpriced considering they're coming back with no momentum but they're still somewhat comparable to the larger rock acts like the Stones and Eagles. 

I don't consider any seat in a stadium a good seat, which is why the quotes, the ones they are charging the absurd VIP prices are considered the really good seats, and the ones behind it are the average

and the Stones and the Eagles are older bands who have an older audience who are willing to spend the money to see them and the Eagles didn't charge close to what GNR is charging and they were playing Arenas and Ampitheaters on their tours in recent years, and the
Stones are a legendary band who can not be compared to anyone

2 hours ago, Billsfan said:

We've got 3 sold out shows. Only 3. What an incredibly historic tour!

As far as I know, Chicago, Toronto, Boston, New York and Los Angeles are sold out. That's 5.

In addition San Diego, San Francisco and Orlando are close to selling out.

A few dates seem to be struggling a bit, but it's not as bad as some here are making it out to be.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Spirit said:

As far as I know, Chicago, Toronto, Boston, New York and Los Angeles are sold out. That's 5.

A few dates seem to be struggling a bit, but it's not as bad as some here are making it out to be.

I'm only seeing Toronto Los Angeles and the first MetLife show being sold out. That's only 3. The band could start talking so just a little promotion and it would put this tour over, but God forbid. 

1 minute ago, Billsfan said:

I'm only seeing Toronto Los Angeles and the first MetLife show being sold out. That's only 3. The band could start talking so just a little promotion and it would put this tour over, but God forbid. 

The only ones marked as such yes, but sometimes they are a bit lazy labeling shows "SOLD OUT".

When you go on Ticketmaster for the 1st Chicago show it says "Tickets are no longer on sale... ...but buy now from fans who can't go". Only re-sale tickets available.

Foxborough is marked "sold out" though.

26 minutes ago, Spirit said:

That's good to hear 

1 hour ago, Spirit said:

absolutely... I would count NYC 2nd and LA 2nd will be...

1 minute ago, scooby845 said:

absolutely... I would count NYC 2nd and LA 2nd will be...

Those certainly have the advantage of being big tourist cities. We will probably see a little surge in sales once the date approaches, with tourists finding out about the concert and buying tickets.

1 hour ago, Spirit said:

I'd say 80-90% of the shows will have been sold out by the time the concert approaches...