Ticket Demand?

Several pages back I outlined a few things that would make this sell better. I put new music up there as well as smaller venues (arenas mostly with some scattered stadiums in big markets if need be) and cheaper prices. Live Nation got very cocky with their "reunion of the decade" that will be seen as a failure in many markets. It's a shame because this could have done much more business with some proper promotion and a combination of the other things. I don't even think Steven and Izzy would help at this point - most people checked out when they saw $250+ seats.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Several pages back I outlined a few things that would make this sell better. I put new music up there as well as smaller venues (arenas mostly with some scattered stadiums in big markets if need be) and cheaper prices. Live Nation got very cocky with their "reunion of the decade" that will be seen as a failure in many markets. It's a shame because this could have done much more business with some proper promotion and a combination of the other things. I don't even think Steven and Izzy would help at this point - most people checked out when they saw $250+ seats.

I think you hit the nail on the head in your previous post.

The more ambiguity surrounding Guns as a band doesn't help create any momentum leading into the tour.

And I personally do not subscribe to the theory that all the incarnations and namesakes of "Guns N' Roses" equally represent the band.

Popular opinion may be uninformed opinion (ie. Original lineup vs. Classic lineup) but popular opinion fills stadiums with asses and creates successful tours.

"Axl, Slash, and Duff are back together!" isn't exactly the same as "The original members of the band that brought you the greatest selling hard rock album of all-time have reunited!"

I prefer Illusions to AFD any day of the week. Id prefer the Illusions line-up to the AFD one with that being said. Im still overly excited to see the current members go all out. Different strokes for different folks. We all have our opinions, preferences, etc. on these boards and all over the world. Some people even prefer the 1999-2014 combos to the original (for some reason) obviously.

53 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Yes, Yes and Yes. It is a shame and not near what I envisioned. That said, I still hold onto the hope that it can change, but they have to want it to.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

There were targeted ads on my Facebook to win tickets for Toronto. We're talking about one of the shows that actually sold out. The comments on it were pathetic. People were confused because they thought the band had split while others said they wouldn't see Guns without Axl (assuming he was permanently in AC/DC). How could they fuck up the promotion this bad? Not that it matters for Toronto but it shows how a few billboards aren't enough for the general public and the lack of communication/clarifying things with fans. There are still people who have no idea what's going on or what the line-up is. What a shit show.

I really believe pricing would have fixed all of the problems. Buzz/promotion would have been FAR more positive if the tickets were a ridiculous price. Floor tickets should have been $150-$170ish at the very most.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I really believe pricing would have fixed all of the problems. Buzz/promotion would have been FAR more positive if the tickets were a ridiculous price. Floor tickets should have been $150-$170ish at the very most.

I agree. I was expecting about $175 for floor seats. Arent even the nosebleeds something like $90?

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Yup. The $250+ price for stadium seats even makes the casuals go "but it's not even the full line-up!" which is a thought that likely wouldn't even have crossed their minds had it been priced more efficiently.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cremefraiche said:

Yeah when you think about it, it's borderline unheard of for a "reunion" tour of this scale to kick off without so much as a televised interview. It'd be very very interesting to know what's happening behind the scenes. Makes ya wonder

I never expect press from GnR though. The amount of Axl interviews out there are in the small handfuls. Surprised none from Slash, Duff, etc. though.

6 minutes ago, Inglorious said:

I never expect press from GnR though. The amount of Axl interviews out there are in the small handfuls. Surprised none from Slash, Duff, etc. though.

Yeah true, at the end of the day I guess they are all multi-millionaires and are fixing to make many more millions from this tour regardless or whether or not they have a few photo sessions/interviews together. They will be getting paid a base fee anyway, so unless the concerts are selling so bad that the promoter won't profit from it, they won't be cancelled and GNR should make the same amount at a 75% sold out gig, as they would at a 50% sold out gig. Unless its in their contracts that they get % of ticket sales as well, which would be on top of their huge fee anyway.  Just kinda thought if there was ever time for a new interview with Axl and Co. now would have been the time! 

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

There were targeted ads on my Facebook to win tickets for Toronto. We're talking about one of the shows that actually sold out. The comments on it were pathetic. People were confused because they thought the band had split while others said they wouldn't see Guns without Axl (assuming he was permanently in AC/DC). How could they fuck up the promotion this bad? Not that it matters for Toronto but it shows how a few billboards aren't enough for the general public and the lack of communication/clarifying things with fans. There are still people who have no idea what's going on or what the line-up is. What a shit show.

Natural selection. God sometimes human is lazy/stupid. Take 2 minutes and google it for fuck's sake! 

3 hours ago, cremefraiche said:

Yeah true, at the end of the day I guess they are all multi-millionaires and are fixing to make many more millions from this tour regardless or whether or not they have a few photo sessions/interviews together. They will be getting paid a base fee anyway, so unless the concerts are selling so bad that the promoter won't profit from it, they won't be cancelled and GNR should make the same amount at a 75% sold out gig, as they would at a 50% sold out gig. Unless its in their contracts that they get % of ticket sales as well, which would be on top of their huge fee anyway.  Just kinda thought if there was ever time for a new interview with Axl and Co. now would have been the time! 

To me it still boggles my mind how there hasn't been one single interview or anything, I don't get it.

Just now, PsychoKiss344 said:

Both of those interviews were not about GnR, yea we got the odd thing but I mean like real promotion for the tour.

I really wouldnt expect any. We might get an update from their point of view somewhere along the way during the tour but even that sounds like a long shot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Inglorious said:

I really wouldnt expect any. We might get an update from their point of view somewhere along the way during the tour but even that sounds like a long shot.

For awhile I thought for sure they would do some right after Axl finished up with AC/DC.

Edited by PsychoKiss344

5 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

For awhile I thought for sure they would do some right after Axl finished up with AC/DC.

Duff & Axl are in Detroit now, so I'm hoping maybe something is planned this week.

• Like 1

Tickets are just way too expensive for an untested "legacy" band playing such big venues in a volatile live market.  Arenas were the way to go, with prices more in the $50-$200 range. That would have ensured sell outs and maintained a good buzz. But nope....we're getting stadiums with 3/5 of the band while paying hundreds (and for some suckers THOUSANDS) for the pleasure. 

I still expect to see deep discounted tickets any minute now in an attempt for promoters to try and fill these seats. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Original said:

I haven't looked in a while, which venues are in trouble as far as no one will be there?  All the night 2's?  PHX, DET, DAL, KC and PIT?

Yes- booking second nights at these stadiums was overreaching by the promoters. Los Angeles has TONS of seats left for night two.