Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

Now that I've listened to the album in full I've got to say - wow. They delivered big time. It's easily the most consistent album since Flick - just like the reviews have been saying. Granted, you could probably take the best of Ballbreaker, Stiff, and Black Ice and make an ever more killer album but as the album stands there's not a single bad song on it. My favorites are probably Dogs of War, Sweet Candy, Emission Control, and Baptism by Fire. Some of the riffs on this album are just huge.

I think what works for the album is the length. It's a solid half hour listen. That helps with the consistency of the songs. I think they did a good job keeping it to the point. Angus and co. should be proud. Every member shines and that fact is aided by the great mix.

I also dig the artwork. Some nice tributes to Malcolm and the band photos look great. Stevie seems to fit in well. Obviously Phil isn't a part of the group shots but they do have some single shots of him in case anybody was wondering. I'm pretty sure they're old promo pictures though, perhaps leftovers from Black Ice.

I'll post an album review later when I've got a bit more time, but I thought I'd mention that the tour announcement is Friday according to Brian and Cliff. ;)

Fuck. I'm gonna be broke next week then.

My thoughts exactly. And here I thought I was doing okay for Christmas time financially. :lol:

Just gave Fly On The Wall another listen after reading the comments here. Well, still think the production makes this album an "extreme deepcut" for fans who really wanna know the band's history. There ARE some pretty good songs (Fly On The Wall, Sink The Pink, Shake Your Foundations), some hidden gems (Back In Business, Send For The Man, Danger) but the rest is pretty much there for filler purposes IMO. Really didn't get the love for Hell or High Water or Playing With Girls. They're really forgetable, IMO.

I've listened to it a good half dozen times or so by now. Definitely my favorite since Flick Of The Switch. The only song I can't really get into is Sweet Candy. I also don't think Emission Control is as good as everyone on here seems to think, but I still dig it. Rock The Blues Away is my favorite - I'd love to have a whole album of tracks like this and Anything Goes.

Starting to think ahead...what is everyone's thoughts on setlist for the tour? We know Brian wants to do It's A Long Way To The Top, we know there'll be a few new songs, and on the Reddit AMA, Angus and Cliff responded to many questions about the lack of 80's material saying that if people want to hear it, they'll play it - hopefully they got the hint that people want to hear it.

My semi dream, semi realistic setlist would be something like:

1. Play Ball

2. Let's Get It Up

3. Shoot To Thrill

4. Rock Or Bust

5. Thunderstruck

6. It's A Long Way To The Top

7. Rock The Blues Away

8. Back In Black

9. Jailbreak (striptease)

10. Hell's Bells

11. The Jack

12. Who Made Who

13. Baptism By Fire

14. Money Talks

15. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

16. You Shook Me All Night Long

17. Highway To Hell

18. Whole Lotta Rosie

---

19. T.N.T.

20. For Those About To Rock

---

21. Ride On (dedicate it to Malcolm every night)

I could love with a set list like that! I'd approve of some deep cuts but of the more popular songs that have been ignored live for too long I'd love to see Moneytalks and Who Made Who back. I feel like the former is almost a guarantee if we see a certain bald drummer return to the fold. I'm not sure yet what I think will be the better opener - Play Ball or Rock or Bust. I can see it going either way.

I see you cut Let There Be Rock which is a good idea. It's gotten quite stale live and seems to drag.

I actually feel kind of bad for ripping on the Black Ice set list so much in the past. After the awesome set lists from the SUL and 2003 tours it seemed so bland but now with the revelations about Malcolm it seems it was likely to help him considering he had enough trouble relearning the classics night after night.

This time around I think it's fair to expect some surprises. I'll dream for Touch Too Much.

Also - so much for the tour dates today. :lol:

• Like 1

I could love with a set list like that! I'd approve of some deep cuts but of the more popular songs that have been ignored live for too long I'd love to see Moneytalks and Who Made Who back. I feel like the former is almost a guarantee if we see a certain bald drummer return to the fold. I'm not sure yet what I think will be the better opener - Play Ball or Rock or Bust. I can see it going either way.

I see you cut Let There Be Rock which is a good idea. It's gotten quite stale live and seems to drag.

I actually feel kind of bad for ripping on the Black Ice set list so much in the past. After the awesome set lists from the SUL and 2003 tours it seemed so bland but now with the revelations about Malcolm it seems it was likely to help him considering he had enough trouble relearning the classics night after night.

This time around I think it's fair to expect some surprises. I'll dream for Touch Too Much.

Honestly, I don't like Rock Or Bust as the album opener even - it just doesn't have the opening track feel. I think Play Ball would've worked better to open the album.

As for LTBR, it's cool with the catwalk, Angus solo, etc. But it's just too fucking long - it was over 20 minutes at 2 of the 3 Black Ice shows I saw. I was almost tempted to drop The Jack for the same reasons (Granted, it was the strip song last time but still...), but I just don't see that one going anywhere.

I mean, they don't have to play super deep cuts to please hardcore fans - it's been so long since they've played any of the "hits" that aren't live staples, that Let's Get It Up, Money Talks, and Who Made Who would still please them, and the casual fans would likely know them. Win-win situation.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't like Rock Or Bust as the album opener even - it just doesn't have the opening track feel. I think Play Ball would've worked better to open the album.

As for LTBR, it's cool with the catwalk, Angus solo, etc. But it's just too fucking long - it was over 20 minutes at 2 of the 3 Black Ice shows I saw. I was almost tempted to drop The Jack for the same reasons (Granted, it was the strip song last time but still...), but I just don't see that one going anywhere.

I mean, they don't have to play super deep cuts to please hardcore fans - it's been so long since they've played any of the "hits" that aren't live staples, that Let's Get It Up, Money Talks, and Who Made Who would still please them, and the casual fans would likely know them. Win-win situation.

I don't hate it as the album opener but I hear you. The snare crack into that classic AC/DC sound of Play Ball would have made a killer opener.

Agreed. In fact, I've never really cared for The Jack. It's just kind of there for me. I understand why, but it's just too boring for me sometimes and even more so when it's used as the strip song. Jailbreak made a badass strip song. Let There Be Rock should definitely go though. There's plenty of other spots for Angus to solo in the show and cutting that single song would open up the time for two or three more.

Agreed there as well. They've been ignored long enough and are "deep" enough that it'll please both casuals and hardcore fans. I certainly don't expect a set list filled with Two's Up, Playing With Girls, and Down on the Borderline. :lol:

I've listened to it a good half dozen times or so by now. Definitely my favorite since Flick Of The Switch. The only song I can't really get into is Sweet Candy. I also don't think Emission Control is as good as everyone on here seems to think, but I still dig it. Rock The Blues Away is my favorite - I'd love to have a whole album of tracks like this and Anything Goes.

Starting to think ahead...what is everyone's thoughts on setlist for the tour? We know Brian wants to do It's A Long Way To The Top, we know there'll be a few new songs, and on the Reddit AMA, Angus and Cliff responded to many questions about the lack of 80's material saying that if people want to hear it, they'll play it - hopefully they got the hint that people want to hear it.

My semi dream, semi realistic setlist would be something like:

1. Play Ball

2. Let's Get It Up

3. Shoot To Thrill

4. Rock Or Bust

5. Thunderstruck

6. It's A Long Way To The Top

7. Rock The Blues Away

8. Back In Black

9. Jailbreak (striptease)

10. Hell's Bells

11. The Jack

12. Who Made Who

13. Baptism By Fire

14. Money Talks

15. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

16. You Shook Me All Night Long

17. Highway To Hell

18. Whole Lotta Rosie

---

19. T.N.T.

20. For Those About To Rock

---

21. Ride On (dedicate it to Malcolm every night)

Add Let There Be Rock after Rosie and I'd jizz my pants for that. Especially Ride On. Edited by username

I'd also say Ride On before For Those About to Rock. I think you always want to end with a bang and high energy.

I like when they did it as a second encore in Paris in 2001 :max:

Wow, I had no idea they played this live. Though to me it doesn't work as well live as well as with Brian. I'm glad King picked it for Maximum Overdrive as it works great on that record.

I wanted them to do kinda like a "Time Machine" tour y'know? Go through all the eras, all the albums. Play the lead single from the minor 80's albums. Play the 90's and 2000's not just the golden era. I mean, it'd be awesome!

Kinda like:

1- TNT
2- Dirty Deeds
3- Whole Lotta Rosie
4- Riff Raff
5- Shot Down In Flames
6- Back In Black
7- Flick Of The Switch
8- Play Ball
9- Sink The Pink
10- Jailbreak
11-Heatseeker
12- Rock The House
13- Thunderstruck
14- Hells Bells
15- You Shook Me All Night Long
16- Ballbreaker
17- Stiff Upper Lip
18- Let There Be Rock

19- Rock n Roll Train
20- Rock Or Bust

Encore:

21- Highway to Hell
22- For Those About To Rock

Edited by Cosmonaut

Cool idea, but surely they'd still play Highway to Hell. ;)

I guess mine might be something like this - a semi-realistic set list based on the last tour that sees the band promote Rock or Bust as well as the idea that this is a 40th Anniversary Tour.

1. High Voltage

2. Play Ball

3. Back in Black

4. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

5. Who Made Who

6. Rock or Bust

7. Dogs of War

8. Thunderstruck

9. Shot Down In Flames

10. Bad Boy Boogie [strip Song]

11. Hells Bells

12. Shoot to Thrill