Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

Listening to it right now. Currently on track 5. Sounds pretty good so far. In all honesty, there hasn't been an album since the 80s that I liked more than 3 songs off of. I liked about 5 from Black Ice, but it was also much longer than their previous releases.

Overall, their newer albums never stand up to their classic material. Which is fine. Usually I find about 2 songs I really like and thats enough for me. I'll obviously have to take more time to listen to this one, but so far Rock Or Bust and Rock Your Blues Away are pretty good, while Miss Adventure isn't bad. I don't like Dogs Of War (the War Machine of this album, which I also didn't like) or Play Ball.

But the album has a better feel than Black Ice did. I like thats its shorter. I just recently relistened to Black Ice and I still consider about 2/3 of the album to be shit. This new one could be the same way, but even listening to the songs I don't care for on this album, its just always so nice to hear Angus' guitar.

IMO weakest tracks are Miss Adventure and GMSRNRT. Emission Control reminds me a lot of Meanstreak, Hard Times of Deep In The Hole and, as said before, Rock The Blues Away and Dogs of War are the obvious Anything Goes and War Machines of the album. But it's better than Black Ice. Love it.

After a second listen, it seems there's about 5 songs I enjoy. Maybe 6. Rock Or Bust, Rock The Blues Away, Rock The House, Miss Adventure, and Got Some Rock & Roll Thunder I believe were the ones I thought that sounded best. Maybe Baptism By Fire and one of the last two songs on the album.

Its pretty much exactly what I expected. Like I said, what they have going for them is that its short. Their newer stuff has the tendency to all sound way too similar (not true of the old stuff even though its always been a running joke with this band), so putting out a short 35 minute album will definitely mean I give it more spins and more comprehensive listens. I'll probably end up keeping 4 songs from the album and deleting the rest. I'd probably rank it a 2.5/5, which I guess is pretty standard with their latest releases. It'll be interesting to see which songs they choose to play live.

I'm still waiting for Tuesday so the only other song I've heard so far aside from Play Ball is the title track, but I couldn't resist reading some album spoilers since it won't affect my listen anyways. Anything Goes was my favourite song on Black Ice (one of the few standout tracks on that album I thought) so I'm thinking Rock The Blues Away will be right up my alley. It's amazing how many reviews have been calling this album the most consistent since Flick of the Switch or even Back In Black. In any event, Tuesday won't come soon enough.

For now I guess I'll give Head Job anothe listen. :lol:

Angus also apparently confirmed that it will not be Bob Richards on tour (I thought he looked good in the two music videos) but there's been some very heavy Simon Wright rumours. I guess we'll see. I'm fine with him or Chris just to have a familiar face. I'll give the edge to Chris just because Live At Donington is what got me into music and I love the little changes he made to the songs (not overplay but enough to differentiate him).

I'm still waiting for Tuesday so the only other song I've heard so far aside from Play Ball is the title track, but I couldn't resist reading some album spoilers since it won't affect my listen anyways. Anything Goes was my favourite song on Black Ice (one of the few standout tracks on that album I thought) so I'm thinking Rock The Blues Away will be right up my alley. It's amazing how many reviews have been calling this album the most consistent since Flick of the Switch or even Back In Black. In any event, Tuesday won't come soon enough.

For now I guess I'll give Head Job anothe listen. :lol:

Angus also apparently confirmed that it will not be Bob Richards on tour (I thought he looked good in the two music videos) but there's been some very heavy Simon Wright rumours. I guess we'll see. I'm fine with him or Chris just to have a familiar face. I'll give the edge to Chris just because Live At Donington is what got me into music and I love the little changes he made to the songs (not overplay but enough to differentiate him).

Anything Goes is my favorite on Black Ice too, dunno why it gets so much hate.

I prefer Chris to Simon, but I'll give Simon the edge since it might wield a better chance of them playing some 80's songs on this tour.

I go through phases of which era of AC/DC is my favorite, and right now the 80s stuff that has been completely erased from the public memory is my favorite. So right now I'd love to hear Shake Your Foundations and Heatseeker, etc.

I've been listening to the 80's stuff a lot lately too. I listened to FTATR front to back the other day for the first time in probably 5 years the other day, and it really is an excellent album.

Fly On The Wall is the only one I just really can't get into still. The title track, Shake Your Foundations, and Sink The Pink are great, but the rest just doesn't do it for me. Due in no small part to the awful production, I'm sure.

I go through phases of which era of AC/DC is my favorite, and right now the 80s stuff that has been completely erased from the public memory is my favorite. So right now I'd love to hear Shake Your Foundations and Heatseeker, etc.

I've been listening to the 80's stuff a lot lately too. I listened to FTATR front to back the other day for the first time in probably 5 years the other day, and it really is an excellent album.

Fly On The Wall is the only one I just really can't get into still. The title track, Shake Your Foundations, and Sink The Pink are great, but the rest just doesn't do it for me. Due in no small part to the awful production, I'm sure.

FOTW is definitely the hardest AC/DC album to get into. I've listened to that album over and over but it just doesn't sink in. Not only is it full of fillers (uninspired fillers), it's so terribly mixed, I just go for the Who Made Who version of Sink The Pink and Shake Your Foundations. They're so much better. As for FOTS and BUYV, they're awesome. Love the standouts in both of them.same with FTATR.
  • Like 1

FOTW has massive riffs, Playing With Girls!

i think FOTW is criminally underrated and i really like the album, the production is rough but it works :lol:

definitely the heaviest ac/dc album IMO.

Edited by bran

I like Fly on the Wall eventhough it sounds like it was recorded by a fly on the studio wall. Playing with Girls is a killer track, also dig the catchy Back in Business and the sleazy Send for the Man. Stand Up is also a decent anthem like song, though the video (part of a collage with other songs) sucks so much balls it's easily one of the oddest clips they had for an album. This is obviously from the era their career consisted of playing in yuppie joints:

Of the singles I like Shake your Foundation the most.

FOTW has massive riffs, Playing With Girls!

i think FOTW is criminally underrated and i really like the album, the production is rough but it works :lol:

definitely the heaviest ac/dc album IMO.

I've always loved Sink the Pink and Shake Your Foundations. FOTW the song is decent too. Danger is just funny.....

The music videos/short film they did for the album was great.