Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

Lung Cancer, Pacemaker: More Malcolm Young Health Woes Detailed
by Matthew Wilkening January 8, 2015 11:14 PM

More details have emerged on the health troubles that former AC/DC guitarist Malcolm Young endured in recent years in addition to his much-publicized battle against dementia.

According to Q Magazine, the rock legend was diagnosed with lung cancer at the conclusion of the band’s tour in support of the 2008 album ‘Black Ice.’ Luckily, thanks to early detection, doctors were able to treat the condition successfully via an operation.

Then, it was discovered that Young had an unspecified heart condition, which required him to have a pacemaker installed. Judging from the way he revealed the news to bandmate Brain Johnson, these incidents did little to affect Malcolm’s spirit. “This is typical Malcolm,” Johnson explains, “He got a hold of my hand and went… (bangs repeatedly on his chest) Pacemaker. F—ing good, mate.’ He scared the s— out of us! And there’s a twinkle in his eye, he was tickled pink. It’s like he was showing us a new fuzzbox or something!”

Lead guitarist Angus Young talked to GMI Rock about what his brother had been through, and the “not easy” decision to carry on without him: “Besides the mental side with the dementia, he had physical problems also. He had a lung operation, which was pretty critical, but he got treatment for that because they got to it. It was like a cancer. So they got that early and then later on he had also a heart problem. So it was like everything hit him at once. The physical side of him, he got great treatment for all that so he’s good with all that, but the mental side has deteriorated. He himself had said, ‘I won’t be able to do it anymore.’”

As a result, Angus and the rest of the band recruited his (and Malcolm’s) nephew Stevie Young to play on the the acclaimed 2014 album ‘Rock or Bust‘ as well on as their upcoming world tour, which is set to kick off May 5 in Arnhem, Holland.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/malcolm-young-lung-cancer-pacemaker/

Thats simultaneously so nice and so sad to hear Malcolm in that way. Its great to hear him in good spirits with the pacemaker, and you can kind of picture him the way Brian describes it. And then that only makes it so sad to know his current condition and know he'll never really be anywhere close to that ever again. Hard to find faults with health. The man's lived his life on the brink, at least smoking wise as they all have. So you can't say its a shock, but its just so upsetting to see it affecting him so horribly. Just makes me happy to have seen him at least when I could.

• Like 2

Well they aren't doing any shows in Belgium though in all honesty I don't think I'd go see them with this lineup. I saw them the last two times (Stiff Upper Lip & Black Ice) and even the last gig felt too much like going through the motions. If they'd get Chris Slade to replace Rudd, I might be tempted but I doubt we'd get a Donington'esque performance anyway.

I hope they come to the Netherlands another time. Maybe close the tour, where they started. I really really hope for another change to get tickets.

Since Angus has a house here, it's not totally crazy to think this.

Well they aren't doing any shows in Belgium though in all honesty I don't think I'd go see them with this lineup. I saw them the last two times (Stiff Upper Lip & Black Ice) and even the last gig felt too much like going through the motions. If they'd get Chris Slade to replace Rudd, I might be tempted but I doubt we'd get a Donington'esque performance anyway.

Knowing what we do now about Malcolm I've reconsidered my thoughts that the Black Ice tour had a stale set list that went through the motions. The show was kept standard to help him considering he was having enough trouble remembering the classics. I think we're in for a more exciting tour this time around, hopefully with Slade too.

• Like 1

Knowing what we do now about Malcolm I've reconsidered my thoughts that the Black Ice tour had a stale set list that went through the motions. The show was kept standard to help him considering he was having enough trouble remembering the classics. I think we're in for a more exciting tour this time around, hopefully with Slade too.

Yes, good theory.

Same - I feel bad for knocking the Black Ice setlists now.

Same - I feel bad for knocking the Black Ice setlists now.

You should do. Here's his little noggin trying to remember the riff to Highway to Hell and you, criticising 'the lack of variety'. Dwell on your sins haha.

• Like 2

Finally getting around to listening to Rock Or Bust. If you told me like... 6 or 7 years ago that I'd take a month+ to listen to a new AC/DC record I'd have slapped you. So it goes. Will report back.

edit: I like it. Solid album, pretty much what I expected it to be. After the first listen Emission Control, Hard Times, and Miss Adventure were probably my favorites.

Edited by Mansin Humanity

Opinions on AC/DC performing at the Grammy Awards ?

Bring on the Slade. ;)

On the topic of repeated listens of the album, I'd say I'd now place Dogs of War as one of my top AC/DC songs of all time. Great riffs, lyrics, arrangement, and probably the best solo on the album. It sounds like something off For Those About To Rock.

I'm willing to bet it'll be in the set list, so it'll be cool to see Angus speaking the intro live.

Fun fact too - Engineer Mike Fraser confirmed that Stevie didn't lend his voice to the album. All backing vocals were Cliff, Angus, Brian, and Brendan O'Brien. I wonder if this means Angus will help out more live this time too.

Silent Jay, I just read that about AC/DC playing at the Grammy's.

I was very surprised but think it's awesome.

Finally getting some real rock and roll bands to play down and dirty rock.

It would be awesome if they won a grammy too!

I will actually watch the Grammy show this year.

me too!

I'm not sure about this, rocknroll fans have strong opinions on the grammys. They should play Play Ball or Rock Or Bust and a Back In Black song, I just hope everything will be fine, last year NIN/QOTSA was a trainwreck.

Mastodon is the frontrunner this year, boys are not nominated, its just a achievement thing. They have been nominated several times now, and won best rock song with War Machine in 2010, and I'm sure Sony wants to introduce this "new" line up.