01/29/17 - Tokyo - Saitama Super Arena

RussTCB

19 minutes ago, Amir said:

Yup. I would still recommend these shows to anyone. Tonight I went with a couple of coworkers who were fans during the band's heyday, and they loved it. I couldn't really recommend GNR to people in 2013 and 2014, but weirdly not only did my dad like GNR in Abu Dhabi in 2013, he preferred it to their 2010 show. Casual fans don't always concentrate on the same things nutjobs like us do :P Some hardcore fans get pissed when they play ChiDem songs when they could pick UYI tracks, and then there's fans like me who would take TWAT over Yesterdays any day, you can't please everyone :lol:

Yea to me it's if you catch good acoustics or not is a huge factor! I saw them in 2013 at a ampetheatre and the sound was incredible, Axl's vocals were crisp and clear....really made that show special for me and made me into a huge believer in the live versus YouTube debate. 

However I saw them in Arlington last year and the sound was muffled some songs were great some were terrible. Mr Brownstone you couldn't even hear Slash's guitar luckily they fixed it but it is interesting how the sound in the building or arena completely makes or breaks the experience. 

One more thing about Axl's vocals: I've been critical about how he's been singing but like I mentioned in a post earlier his schedule is non stop till the fall.

If he has any kind of setback vocally he jeapordizes tour dates and makes it a liability that many fans won't see the band, so by him holding back he's able to ensure he can survive the tour and not create any problems with such a massive tour booked. Any vocal damage is bad Bc there just isn't room for recovery days...it's almost every 3 days he has to sing these songs for a year. 

I guess looking at the calendar for the year will give anyone perspective on how massive this tour is. 

I also get that other singers take on huge tours but not many have to sing material like GNR has and Axl isn't young anymore not to mention it's a stadium tour for the most part...so with that said I'm not expecting a vocal showcase any time soon. I definitely think Axl is going to stick to consistency this tour.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, slash was buckethead said:

even so he tends to not do the opening scream to songs and i cant imagine perfect crime without one

For Those About to Rock...

In fact screaming in general is something that he never fails to nail. Even when he's having a rough night his screams are always spot on.

Edited by AlexC

16 minutes ago, slash was buckethead said:

even so he tends to not do the opening scream to songs and i cant imagine perfect crime without one

There are some examples, one of which @AlexC mentioned. That said, we don't know how Axl would perform Perfect Crime now, but i would love to hear it because i think it is a kickass song.

14 minutes ago, slash was buckethead said:

I do not  listen to welcome to the jungle I listen to axl on the other rock channel

KDST and Radio X were the best channels. They were the only ones i kept on.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Słash said:

Its going to be 1 am here and I have to get up at 6 to catch my flight to Osaka, ill write my honest/boring review. 

So finally the day came when I left for Japan, sadly 2 days before coming here my grandparents had a terrible accident and fractured their shoulder and arm. I was honestly not happy to leave them and was sad on my way to Japan. 

So well today I reached the venue a little before 3pm, luckily found Amir and met him, he is a really cool person, sadly could not meet serendipty, maybe at some other GNR show in the future

I was in the VIP standing section which is basically the pit in the front, they gave us bands to wear around our ankle randomly which decided in which pit we would be, sadly they gave me for Duffs side and not Slash

There were quite alot of people in the pit already, first baby metal came, i found them weird cause im not in to crazy heavy metal stuff but the japanese fans were loving it. 

Then well at 6.45 I guess GNR came, thank god they came early cause my back was already paining, the crowd really went crazy and was pushing each other so much, so well I came a little at the back but i dint get that great of a view

The band sounded amazing, finally its sounding like GNR. Axl, Slash and Duff gave thier 100% and were amazing. Frank is pretty weak and his fucking up of Mr. Brownstone and Rocket Queen ispretty obvious and  annoying, he did a great job on DTJ though. Fortus should stop playing lead stuff on AFD and UYI songs, his solos in RQ and KOHD messes up the songs. I dont even know why the blue haired chick is even there, she is at the at back so it was easy to ignore her but she really does nothing apart from wearing headphones and shaking her ass and head, imagine Pitman coloring his hair blue, its the same useless thing. 

Im happy they played Yesterdays but sad they dint play Dont Cry cause already it was played the show before. Songs from CD had no response from the people at the pit, I was the only one singing them haha. Slash's take on CD songs is pretty good. 

There was this drunk guy from china who came to see the gig, he called himself a hardcore fan but dint know shit, he thought Matt and Gilby would be there, he dint even know who is Steven and Izzy. 

So well overall the show was good, was my ticket worth the money? I paid around 500 dollars for it and dint have a good view and got crushed too, i really dint know that people would push eachother here,. I had thought people in Japan were pretty calm lol

Its better to buy a ticket on the sides or a little at the back rather than getting crushed and hardly able to see the band, so well you should see them at least once in your lifetime for Slash, Axl and Duff

There are 3 things which can make this band better and would take it to another level

1. Izzy Stradlin 2. Steven Adler 3. New Album

well done review

thanks 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

There are some examples, one of which @AlexC mentioned. That said, we don't know how Axl would perform Perfect Crime now, but i would love to hear it because i think it is a kickass song.

Yeah the screaming part at the beginning would be the easiest part I reckon. Although I'm optimistic, if he can sound that good on Shoot to Thrill, which has relatively fast paced verses with lots of rasp, then he should be able to handle perfect crime.

Seen a couple of videos, Axl is sounding good, happy to see they slowed down a bit the tempos on some of the songs like Jungle and Nightrain, they sound so much better like this, and makes me think that they are not so much on autopilot, and still improving stuff... which is great

EDIT: just checked out my michelle, the tempo is great there too, way better... I'm curious to see Paradise City now, cause that's one of the songs that suffered the most from the excessive speed 

Edited by Don-t_damn_me

5 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

any GTA IV fans here that used to blast the fuck out of the Seeker when it came on Liberty Rock Radio??? 

Hell yeah!

5 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I was too busy playing San Andreas and blasting Welcome to the jungle. ;)

"Ive said it before...all you need to get through this lifetime is a little patience (and a speedball)"

Main reason I keep K-DST on full blast when I play San Andreas.