01/29/17 - Tokyo - Saitama Super Arena

RussTCB

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It wasn't awful at all. How do you define awful? his clean voice is not awful. He doesn't need to go full raspy all the time just for it to not be awful.

I actually like Axl's clean voice better here :) he didnt go full raspy, he mixed it and it sounded pretty good imo

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

That Slash solo beats the original by any means in my opinion.

I know people who really don't care for the Chinese democracy album, but they have commented on both Robin solos from the end of Better and his solo in This I Love. Both of which they said were as good as most other Slash solos. I firmly agree with that opinion. I mentioned to them that Slash doesn't play them like the record and they were almost as upset by the idea as if someone was playing the first two sweet child solos differently.

I think most can agree that these solos are memorable, and many would agree that they are intrinsically linked to the vibe if the song. Slash's alt solos are fine, but it honestly sound like he's messing around over a backing track compared to the solo on the record, which was obviously quite thought out. 

At the end of the  day, it all comes down to your own preference... But if someone didn't like the solos in stairway or sweet child, they might be pleased to hear different solos but the other people would be prertty upset to not hear such a memorable part... Not suggesting either solo is that classic, or that there's a huge percentage of the crowd who really know the original solos.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

I actually really appreciate both versions. Robin's take is quite unique, with some cool bends and other little hooks that really highlight his style. While not technically difficult, its kinda hard to recreate because it has Robin's feel all over it. Some notes or slides almost sound odd and you don't expect them but they also sound so perfect at the same time. But it's a composition that he's sat and worked out.

Slash on the other hand just let's rip. Some versions are better than others. The latest Tokyo version is absolutely superb and it's that version that would do more for me if I was actually at the gig. Virtuoso performance. You can always spin the disk for Robin's equally great (but thought out) version.

That is what makes Robin great and the perfect fit at guitar for the direction Axl wanted GNR to take. Unpredictable and not someone who sticks to the same predictable pattern and comfort zone.

Disagree about simply putting the record on if you want to hear the actual solo. People would go ape shit if they paid a ransom to see GNR and SCOM, Nov Rain, WTTJ & Estranged solos were completely improvised.

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SEPTEM said:

Actually i did.  But this one haves slash on it. ( plus, melissa and duffs job on this song cant be ignored.. Instruments and vocals.)

So i have no doubt.  ( and i repeat. The way axl managed his voice this last tokyo performance.. As close to the álbum as it can get and even better on some parts)

You can spare me Melissa and duffs backing vocals and the new  insignificant intro if I could choose seeing Robin and the 2006 version 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

3 hours ago, tsinindy said:

I totally agree with you, if you've kept up with my posting history, I've argued that very sentiment from day one.  However, this version of "Yesterday's" (to me) was awful.   

Additionally on the "songs don't necessarily need to be raspy to sound great", topic...I am in agreement with this ESPECIALLY if the song was originally recorded clean (see Sweet Child).  Yesterday's was not, so I'm more inclined to expect to be raspy.  

Regardless, this version was not pleasing to my ears, that's how I came to my opinion.   

I dont even get worked up about yesterday because I don't even think it's that great a song. To me it always seemed like a weak attempt at recreating SCOM. Like a b-side. Shocked that even the band overrated it by making it a single when there are other better songs on UYI like Civil War. It's not as bad as the Garden though 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

That is what makes Robin great and the perfect fit at guitar for the direction Axl wanted GNR to take. Unpredictable and not someone who sticks to the same predicable pattern and comfort zone.

Disagree about simply putting the record on if you want to hear the actual solo. People would go ape shit if they paid a ransom to see GNR and SCOM, Nov Rain, WTTJ & Estranged solos were completely improvised.

That's great but it's This I Love...nobody cares about the song as a single. It's not something people go to the show looking forward to. The whole thing could be improvised and it would be fine. 

The best thing about This I Love live is it isolates Axl's vocals and you get a piercing guitar solo from Slash...nobody cares that it doesn't match the original note for note Bc 95% of the people at the show didn't know it was a song. It's basically Axl's solo spot 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bruno P. said:

That TIL solo is amazing! So happy to see Slash nailing it. I didnt like his early performances but he made it sound his own and it is sounding really good! Love Robin's take the most but this is much better than DJ's and I can understand when people prefer Slash's take over Robin's.

I actually prefer DJ's because he at least tried to play it right for the most part. He just wasn't capable of replicating Robin's feel. Slash can and would probably even make it sound better. Instead he chooses to play something entirely different each show. And ever single one of Slash's take is overplayed as he tries to fit as many notes in as possible and little feel. Less is more in this case. Especially with TIL

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

That's great but it's This I Love...nobody cares about the song as a single. It's not something people go to the show looking forward to. The whole thing could be improvised and it would be fine. 

The best thing about This I Love live is it isolates Axl's vocals and you get a piercing guitar solo from Slash...nobody cares that it doesn't match the original note for note Bc 95% of the people at the show didn't know it was a song. It's basically Axl's solo spot 

Eh I guess. I wouldn't like it if I was Axl but he's the same guy that let Bumblefoot and Frank redo Bucket and Brains parts. I loved it when I first heard they were going to play a couple CD songs. I don't care for how they played them and would rather they remove the CD songs now.,it's not like Slash has anything to prove by trying to top the original. Or maybe he improvised every show out of respect. I don't know

38 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I know people who really don't care for the Chinese democracy album, but they have commented on both Robin solos from the end of Better and his solo in This I Love. Both of which they said were as good as most other Slash solos. I firmly agree with that opinion. I mentioned to them that Slash doesn't play them like the record and they were almost as upset by the idea as if someone was playing the first two sweet child solos differently.

I think most can agree that these solos are memorable, and many would agree that they are intrinsically linked to the vibe if the song. Slash's alt solos are fine, but it honestly sound like he's messing around over a backing track compared to the solo on the record, which was obviously quite thought out. 

At the end of the  day, it all comes down to your own preference... But if someone didn't like the solos in stairway or sweet child, they might be pleased to hear different solos but the other people would be prertty upset to not hear such a memorable part... Not suggesting either solo is that classic, or that there's a huge percentage of the crowd who really know the original solos.

That's another thing I love about Robin's. It was very thought out and doesn't get in the way of the beautiful orchestration in the background. It's just perfect on the record. The crescendos, climax everything perfectly in sync.

to orchestra parts probably took Axl a decade to perfect but it worked whereas the orchestration on Nov Rain sounds more amateurish and recorded by a 11yr old on Casio keyboard he got for Christmas 

49 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Fine for you and everybody else who prefers Robin's original solo over Slash's live take. It's your opinion and I have mine.

I think Fink's solo is ok, definitely one of the better moments on CD. I prefer his solo on Better but that's another story.

It's just Slash's TIL solos are more meaningful to me and I disagree that his takes aren't linked to the song's vibe. I think he puts a lot of emotions to it and the notes he chooses to play are to the point most of the time.

I don't know if you are one of them but there are a lot of forum members here who prefer Buckethead's take on the Nightrain solo. I think it's the same with me and This I Love.

It's just an opinion.

Maybe you should show your people Slash's solo too, so they'll be able to make a comparison and build their own opinion instead of not even knowing what they're upset about. ;)

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Fine for you and everybody else who prefers Robin's original solo over Slash's live take. It's your opinion and I have mine.

I think Fink's solo is ok, definitely one of the better moments on CD. I prefer his solo on Better but that's another story.

It's just Slash's TIL solos are more meaningful to me and I disagree that his takes aren't linked to the song's vibe. I think he puts a lot of emotions to it and the notes he chooses to play are to the point most of the time.

I don't know if you are one of them but there are a lot of forum members here who prefer Buckethead's take on the Nightrain solo. I think it's the same with me and This I Love.

It's just an opinion.

Maybe you should show your people Slash's solo too, so they'll be able to make a comparison and build their own opinion instead of not even knowing what they're upset about. ;)

I don't think it's the same. That was over a decade ago. Those are the same people who honestly believed Nuguns would top AFF & UYI with CD. I did like Bucket's take on Nightrain because it was a really great take and he stuck to the same one. I hated Robins take on Nov rain at first but it grew on me once I got a better sense of his unpredictable style. I preferred it over Richard trying to duplicate it without Slash's unique feel. Robins Brownstone take and his awful backup vocals never worked though

1 minute ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I don't think it's the same. That was over a decade ago. Those are the same people who honestly believed Nuguns would top AFF & UYI with CD. I did like Bucket's take on Nightrain because it was a really great take and he stuck to the same one. I hated Robins take on Nov rain at first but it grew on me once I got a better sense of his unpredictable style. I preferred it over Richard trying to duplicate it without Slash's unique feel. Robins Brownstone take and his awful backup vocals never worked though

Robin raped every Slash solo he tried to play. These were awful attempts to play world class solos. Unenjoyable to me.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 10:35 AM, Słash said:

Well I paid for the tickets and got the confirmation too. So I should be there, please add my name in the list too. 

You live in Tokyo?

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:23 AM, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

That show was definitely rad and lit and dope!

:lol: 

#Bluehair

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

It's just an opinion.

I haven't heard buckets night rain solo in years, so I'm struggling to have any firm opinion on it. But I absolutely prefer Slash's original or his live embellished version.

I like some of the solo, I just son"t know why he would incorporate some of the more standout bits in both solos, that's my main issue. And I don't think either song needed that much of a face melting solo, but that could just be because I'm so used to the original. But I think Robins were more appropriate, beautifully phrased, with just enough flare mixed with his odd style and traditional blues/rock. It's really no different that when Robin butchered some of Slash's solos.

I'm a Slash guy through and through, and I did like what he did for the most part. I was never a big Robin fan when he was in the band, I just loved what he did on the album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I haven't heard buckets night rain solo in years, so I'm struggling to have any firm opinion on it. But I absolutely prefer Slash's original or his live embellished version.

I like some of the solo, I just son"t know why he would incorporate some of the more standout bits in both solos, that's my main issue. And I don't think either song needed that much of a face melting solo, but that could just be because I'm so used to the original. But I think Robins were more appropriate, beautifully phrased, with just enough flare mixed with his odd style and traditional blues/rock. It's really no different that when Robin butchered some of Slash's solos.

I'm a Slash guy through and through, and I did like what he did for the most part. I was never a big Robin fan when he was in the band, I just loved what he did on the album.

And that's absolutely ok. It was never my intention to change anybodys opinion. I even agree with you on Better like I said before. Slash kind of shreds on it while he definitely shouldn't. It's not what the song's needing.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wasted said:

For me Slash is a bit noodly for the CD material but it brings them back to more old Guns losing some of the Alt glam of nu guns. Whereas Nu guns lost a lot the grit of old Guns. So horses for courses really. 

I just can't stand his TIL solo. He ruins Finck's vision and Finck's solo was structured like a Slash solo, may be my favorite Gun's solo. Better and Sorry he does pretty good on, Catcher is whatever, but he butchers TWAT to hell...