01/29/17 - Tokyo - Saitama Super Arena

RussTCB

4 hours ago, wasted said:

For me Slash is a bit noodly for the CD material but it brings them back to more old Guns losing some of the Alt glam of nu guns. Whereas Nu guns lost a lot the grit of old Guns. So horses for courses really. 

I think I understand this complaint. Personally I feel like he improved technically and he likes to play more notes/faster these days. But his interpretations for Chinese solos prove to me that if there will be leftovers CD ll tunes Axl will want Slash to play on or Slash will want to wail on something, that won't sound noodly.

He still does the lyrical parts but in between he does like to murder his guitar, reminds me Bucket and the way some of his pikes sometimes sound. He indulges.

Elvis Baskette said Safari Inn was Slash just fuckin' wailing and noodling non stop and then they chose the best bits and copy/pasted it and that's the studio version.

Edited by Rovim

9 hours ago, tsinindy said:

@Slash Hey man, you alright?   I don't think we've heard from you since the show!

Yeah im fine man, thanks for asking, Im in Osaka right now, going back home tomorrow, the site doesnt work properly on my phone, so sorry for the late reply, hope everything is well with you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I think I understand this complaint. Personally I feel like he improved technically and he likes to play more notes/faster these days. But his interpretations for Chinese solos prove to me that if there will be leftovers CD ll tunes Axl will want Slash to play on or Slash will want to wail on something, that won't sound noodly.

He still does the lyrical parts but in between he does like to murder his guitar, reminds me Bucket and the way some of his pikes sometimes sound. He indulges.

Elvis Baskette said Safari Inn was Slash just fuckin' wailing and noodling non stop and then they chose the best bits and copy/pasted it and that's the studio version.

It's kind of cool that Slash is even play CD songs and even if it doesn't quite get the CD versions it does show it could be a new thing. Maybe it just needs to be less noodle, it's best when he sustains notes and follows the melody of the song, more like an outro on Nightrain. 

Maybe it's just the TIL solo is so classic to me. Robin did the perfect solo. I feel like doing a Don't Cry type solo would work. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Słash said:

Yeah im fine man, thanks for asking, Im in Osaka right now, going back home tomorrow, the site doesnt work properly on my phone, so sorry for the late reply, hope everything is well with you. 

Good deal, just glad you're ok!  Looking forward to a full trip report when you get back home.

7 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

@Tom-Ass will be mad at me but I thought that Fortus solo and the whole jam was awesome

I would normally be mad at you too, but I actually agree.  Also thought his solo on Nightrain at this show was one of his best efforts....I didn't cringe at all when I heard it like I usually do :)

17 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I don't know if you are one of them but there are a lot of forum members here who prefer Buckethead's take on the Nightrain solo. I think it's the same with me and This I Love.

I just checked Buckethead's version of Nightrain out of curiosity, I think my ears are bleeding.

• Like 1

I absolutely love Bucket's Nightrain. and also to some degree Bumblefoot's, but I think he did the best job in 2006-7 when he just freely improvised, than later when he tried too hard to be "authentic". 

for example, RIR3, Boston 02, Pukkelpop 02, RAR 06 - all awesome.

1 minute ago, Nalbi said:

I just checked Buckethead's version of Nightrain out of curiosity, I think my ears are bleeding.

I don't know which show it was but there was one performance of that solo that was mind blowing as a guitar solo. I just think it didn't capture the soul of Nightrain so I always prefered Slash's solo.

Yesterday, since Axl did a great performance of Patience, I searched all the footage of GN'R live's performance of Patience from the first time it was played in CBGB to 1991, 1992, to NuGN'R era and after that I don't understand how some people think NuGN'R are better :facepalm:

Nope I don't say they're a jerk or bad musician, they just don't have the right kind of soul to be transfered to the songs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zombux said:

I absolutely love Bucket's Nightrain. and also to some degree Bumblefoot's, but I think he did the best job in 2006-7 when he just freely improvised, than later when he tried too hard to be "authentic". 

for example, RIR3, Boston 02, Pukkelpop 02, RAR 06 - all awesome.

Bumble ROCKED Nightrain in 2006 and 2007. Rock Am Rings solo was fucking awesome. The 09-14 versions were a mess imo. DJs horrible bends always started the solo and then I didnt love what Bumble did on the fretless following that 

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I don't know which show it was but there was one performance of that solo that was mind blowing as a guitar solo. I just think it didn't capture the soul of Nightrain so I always prefered Slash's solo.

Boston 2002 is Buckets best Nightrain

7 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I agree, Slash's version is more in tune with the feel of the tune. Bucket brought his own thing to it. Made it a  Nightrain in space. I love his take on it as well.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

@Tom-Ass will be mad at me but I thought that Fortus solo and the whole jam was awesome

lol not mad ;) 

i have wasted enough time watching them fuck up my favorite song though.. Just can't do it again.

2 hours ago, tsinindy said:

I would normally be mad at you too, but I actually agree.  Also thought his solo on Nightrain at this show was one of his best efforts....I didn't cringe at all when I heard it like I usually do :)

I thought the same when I saw it.... It was still a bit much but I didn't cringe..  Still prefer Izzy and Gilby's takes..

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I agree, Slash's version is more in tune with the feel of the tune. Bucket brought his own thing to it. Made it a  Nightrain in space. I love his take on it as well.

I heard legends about this solo. Massive disappointment. Not even close to what's Bucket capable of, especially if it comes to melody and groove. Slash's Nightrain outro solo is very well thought out - with characteristic palm muting and pinch harmonics when it fits (same thing with PC solo, Slash plays there two notes with pinch harmonics and you literally CAN'T imagine anything else to replace'em). As much as I admire Buckethead's solo work and his contribution to Chinese Democracy, he wasn't the perfect lover for a lady called Appetite For Destruction.

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

MSG - NYC 2002 for the Nightrain solo.

They were all great though.  Boston too. 

As a whole the Boston and MSG shows are considered the best from the 2002 era. Slight edge to Boston. 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

So finally back home after the gig. I live in China. Sadly they can't come here, banned after a certain album title... I already gave a short review on the show but after some time to take it all in, it cost so much to do it that you know you gotta. The one thing that I really remember is that when I watched axl sing these old songs which he by now has sung hundreds of times. Being there, I could see in his eyes, in his facial expressions that he really felt what he was singing and it was beautiful. It's easy to watch a YouTube or periscope stream and forget that the songs they do, he isn't just focusing on the notes, they mean something to him. That's the memory I will keep, was amazing. Oh also that the seeker sucks, want to add an encore。play thunderstruck cuz we all know you can axl. Thanks again. Really, just thanks. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

I heard legends about this solo. Massive disappointment. Not even close to what's Bucket capable of, especially if it comes to melody and groove. Slash's Nightrain outro solo is very well thought out - with characteristic palm muting and pinch harmonics when it fits (same thing with PC solo, Slash plays there two notes with pinch harmonics and you literally CAN'T imagine anything else to replace'em). As much as I admire Buckethead's solo work and his contribution to Chinese Democracy, he wasn't the perfect lover for a lady called Appetite For Destruction.

Nightrain is one of the best hard rock songs ever imo. As good as BH's solo is, it just doesn't fit the song. It's too virtuously, too polish for a dirty hard rocker like Nightrain. What Slash did, and does with the outro is just perfect and it's like... you can't do it better even if you play it better.