THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

I hope French Ed does well - I see he started yesterday for Palace. He downed tools last season and he wasn't the only one, but he also gave Celtic a lot of great memories. Hopefully does well and gets a bigger club than Palace - no disrespect to them. The cunt on his day is tremendous.

• 2 weeks later...

Rest in Power, wee Tin Thirty.

One of the Celtic Greats and will be a tremendous loss. An absolute patter merchant along with being one of the greatest figures in Scottish Football's history.

Please, do yourself a favour and listen to this.

Bertie Auld's Celtic vs Leeds thrill ride and the cocky Don Revie reaction  that sealed Auld Enemy's fate - Daily Record

• Like 2

It was starting to look like the modern game was leaving him behind, they struggled to break low blocks, they struggled to press teams effectively, they didn't carry much threat in possession, infact the biggest threat was someone in midfield coughing up the ball and conceding on the counter, they didn't address De Gea's issues with shot stopping, their positioning was all over the place, and any high or mid level team was keeping them out and getting through their lines far too easily. This is all stuff that should have been identified and worked on.

If they did, and that's the results they were getting, oh dear.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Rest in eternal greatness, Wim Jansen.

He achieved the unthinkable, with Murray's 'millions' funding Rangers' attempts at eclipsing Celtic's prestigious 9IAR while Celtic lay dormant for years, operating from a literal biscuit tin and having inferior playing squads to not only Rangers, but to others in the league until Fergus McCann saved the club in the dying minutes before potentially ceasing to exist.

The late, great Tommy Burns was the first man in the door following Fergus getting involved, and while the football that was played under Tommy is still highly regarded among the support, he was still unsuccessful at stopping Rangers continue their dominance. Up steps Wim Jansen.

Thrown in at the deep end and many speculating that he was unaware of the challenge ahead and just how much it meant to Celtic supporters to stop the dark side from eclipsing Celtic's 9IAR, he kept the head down and got the bodies in that he thought would do the job. Henrik Larsson for a snip of £650,000 and bringing in Paul Lambert who had just won the European Cup with Borussia Dortmund, Celtic put Rangers in their place that year by doing what many deemed as unthinkable and the man is forever held among the greats of Celtic Football Club despite only sticking around for those 12 months.

God bless Wim Jansen.

0_Celtic-Premier-League-Champions-1998.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Utd are all over the place at the minute, but they could beat City this weekend. The Liverpool v City game is huge, but it may not be the decider.

Liverpool have a mammoth task to win every game realistically if they’re to win the League, but getting Salah, Mane & Keita back in, Diaz is a brilliant singing, winning the League cup. It’s all stuff that energizes a team. And Liverpool have the squad now to make this push.

They’re also likely to make the champions league quarter finals with a 2-0 lead and playing at Anfield in the second leg, they will play Notts Forrest or Huddersfield in the FA Cup, so you’d expect them to make the semis. 

It’s a lot of football to be played in the next 12 weeks. I just think they have the energy levels and squad depth to push hard at the remaining 3 Trophies. 

If I could take my pick I’d want to win the league, if not Champions League. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, moreblack said:

If City save it, it will be in their head to head match at the Etihad.

Could you imagine the outrage if the unbelievable happens and Liverpool win the remainder of games and lose by a point or goal difference to City post the Everton penalty drama and the apology and acknowledgement Everton got.

That be two seasons Liverpool finish runners up due to craziness. This penalty and the millimetres from a few seasons ago. 

(obviously I'm aware that a whole season has ups and down and shit goes your way and doesn't, and its in the clubs hands to win each games etc.) still mental to consider that. 

Ynwa

• Like 1

9 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

i think neither, Liverpool or ManCity) will win all games untill the end. It's a lot of football in relatively short period of time...

I agree. I think there is more points to be dropped by both teams, but I'm loving that it isn't a guaranteed forgone conclusion - which tbh it was looking to be for a while. 

It's insane how many points are needed now to win the league though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

I agree. I think there is more points to be dropped by both teams, but I'm loving that it isn't a guaranteed forgone conclusion - which tbh it was looking to be for a while. 

It's insane how many points are needed now to win the league though. 

It’s been roughly the same since maybe the 80s. It’s always been hard win a league. 

4 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

It’s been roughly the same since maybe the 80s. It’s always been hard win a league. 

Oh totally agree. But the sheer volume of points now required just doesn't compare, 85+ is like the minimum. Such a high level to maintain all season.