THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

Messi to me is a prodigy.  And that sort of thing always appeals to me, you knew when he hit the ground he was something special, right from the off, Ronaldo is someone who was a top top prospect who then kind of worked himself into something great through grit and determination and dedication.  I accept the argument that Ronaldo is an exceptional player but I refute the argument that Messi necessarily needs an entire team of G's around him to perform, he's scored a great many solo goals too, he's gotta have the fuckin' pass from somewhere though.

• Like 2

Just now, wasted said:

Mostly and at Utd it wasn’t always easy. But at Real, its same as Barca.

Maradonna had that too, is what I was saying. But still are saw him in games for Argentina when it wasn’t easy and he was killing himself to score. Messi can just drift away, he’s Messi who cares about this game. Like the England tic tacs if they go out they will just put there headphones on go back to their mansions with built in hair salons. In a way that’s a strength.  

Maradona is WC champion thanks to Burruchaga and Valdano. Burruchaga was an animal in every part of the field.

I agree with the scoring part, Messi needs to chill down, comming from the bench to resolve things.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Juventino said:

Oh FFS. Name a better league in Maradona's time than Serie A.

That doesn’t matter, there were games where the oppo rolled over. But for example Gazza left England because he was getting kicked to pieces. In Italy the skill players are protected. Prem is getting better though now. But in 90s it was pretty industrial. Flair players don’t get much protection. There’s a lot of English players that the FA won’t allow in the team because they don’t want England associated with it. But that is why most of the famous England pkayers are just powerful mids, not dribblers. 

13 minutes ago, wasted said:

Mostly and at Utd it wasn’t always easy. But at Real, its same as Barca.

Maradonna had that too, is what I was saying. But still are saw him in games for Argentina when it wasn’t easy and he was killing himself to score. Messi can just drift away, he’s Messi who cares about this game. Like the England tic tacs if they go out they will just put there headphones on go back to their mansions with built in hair salons. In a way that’s a strength.  

If Messi didn't care about the game he wouldn't be where he was, he wouldn't've threatened to quit international football that time, the last world cup he was dead on his legs in the last games and still trying to get on the end of a ball, Messi definitely cares about the football, perhaps moreso than Ronaldo, who seems to care primarily about himself.  Messi has more expectation than Ronaldo too, who granted also has a heavy load in that regard but no one really expects shit from Portugal, when you're carrying the mantle of the next Maradonna on your shoulders, and you come as achingly close as Messi has, fuck me, thats gotta grate on you. 

• GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Messi to me is a prodigy.  And that sort of thing always appeals to me, you knew when he hit the ground he was something special, right from the off, Ronaldo is someone who was a top top prospect who then kind of worked himself into something great through grit and determination and dedication.  I accept the argument that Ronaldo is an exceptional player but I refute the argument that Messi necessarily needs an entire team of G's around him to perform, he's scored a great many solo goals too, he's gotta have the fuckin' pass from somewhere though.

I just don’t think if you’re in a battle, 1-0 down and other team is on top Messi will get you out of it. He’s better at 2 up, now he’s going to put on a show. 

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

I just don’t think if you’re in a battle, 1-0 down and other team is on top Messi will get you out of it. He’s better at 2 up, now he’s going to put on a show. 

Its happened plenty, trust me, I've often had money on it at 365 :lol:

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

If Messi didn't care about the game he wouldn't be where he was, he wouldn't've threatened to quit international football that time, the last world cup he was dead on his legs in the last games and still trying to get on the end of a ball, Messi definitely cares about the football, perhaps moreso than Ronaldo, who seems to care primarily about himself.  Messi has more expectation than Ronaldo too, who granted also has a heavy load in that regard but no one really expects shit from Portugal, when you're carrying the mantle of the next Maradonna on your shoulders, and you come as achingly close as Messi has, fuck me, thats gotta grate on you. 

Pyschologically but physically I’ve never seen him put himself about, or really change a game. Like this world cup. Ronaldo 3 - Spain 3. Messi didn’t seem to be able to influence the games in that system. 

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its happened plenty, trust me, I've often had money on it at 365 :lol:

I think they are games they were going to win anyway, they just weren’t. 

If I had Man City I’d buy Messi. If I had Everton I’d get Ronaldo. 

Edited by wasted

10 minutes ago, wasted said:

That doesn’t matter, there were games where the oppo rolled over. But for example Gazza left England because he was getting kicked to pieces. In Italy the skill players are protected. Prem is getting better though now. But in 90s it was pretty industrial. Flair players don’t get much protection. There’s a lot of English players that the FA won’t allow in the team because they don’t want England associated with it. But that is why most of the famous England pkayers are just powerful mids, not dribblers. 

The likes of Maradona were far from protected in Serie A. They got kicked every game. Guys like Gentile and Passarella weren’t about flowers and sunshine. 

Smaller teams were hard to get something against because they could defend! Not the other way around. You’d be hard pressed to find many results, aside from the odd rubbish team here and there, like you do these days (especially where Barcelona and Real Madrid are concerned).

And there was no single greater concentration of talent in one league as in Italy. Probably since, too.

12 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

Maradona is WC champion thanks to Burruchaga and Valdano. Burruchaga was an animal in every part of the field.

I agree with the scoring part, Messi needs to chill down, comming from the bench to resolve things.

I think I agree about WC, but was talking about Diego skinning 9 players in the South american league. Try that in the Champs league. Also look at schedules of modern players. The seriousness that a Rashford steps into. At 20 he’s playing Champs league. That’s his show reel. 

12 minutes ago, Juventino said:

The likes of Maradona were far from protected in Serie A. They got kicked every game. Guys like Gentile and Passarella weren’t about flowers and sunshine. 

Smaller teams were hard to get something against because they could defend! Not the other way around. You’d be hard pressed to find many results, aside from the odd rubbish team here and there, like you do these days (especially where Barcelona and Real Madrid are concerned).

And there was no single greater concentration of talent in one league as in Italy. Probably since, too.

That might be true in Serie A at that time, I was really talking about Diego’s show reel of dribbling from early in his career. Compared to modern players who at 20 are playing Champs league games. 

But in the Serie A from what I saw, the pace was slow, it was tight and diving was an art. The pace of the prem and the physicality means that skill players, dribblers get tired or injured pretty quick. The pitches too are basically mud half the season. Just playing long balls up becomes a necessity. Like if Diego played a season in England before that world cup he won he’d probably have been injured. Rooney was always dead by the time he got to WCs. 

Prem seems like highest quality ever. Falcao came to utd, couldn’t get in the team. There’s 6 champs league teams, Lukaku was playing for Everton a few seasons ago. Half the Brazilian team is in Prem. Belgiums team is Prem. Spain and France team are full of Prem players. 

Edited by wasted

13 minutes ago, wasted said:

If I had Everton I’d get Ronaldo. 

And if my nan had a willy she'd be my grandad.

I can just see Ronnie turning down a lucrative few years at LA Galalaxy for the twilight of his career and opting for that shit hole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wasted said:

That might be true in Serie A at that time, I was really talking about Diego’s show reel of dribbling from early in his career. Compared to modern players who at 20 are playing Champs league games. 

But in the Serie A from what I saw, the pace was slow, it was tight and diving was an art. The pace of the prem and the physicality means that skill players, dribblers get tired or injured pretty quick. The pitches too are basically mud half the season. Just playing long balls up becomes a necessity. Like if Diego played a season in England before that world cup he won he’d probably have been injured. Rooney was always dead by the time he got to WCs. 

The 1980s pitches in Italy were also fucked come winter time. Didn’t mean you have to resort to kick and rush.

Maradona took some terrible punishment in Spain and Italy. There were some very physical players there too. For example, look at who Lineker - and Maradona - say was the toughest defender they ever faced, it was Pietro Vierchowod.

It may have been slower, and still is, but it’s tactically far ahead. Nobody was giving players space.

6 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

And if my nan had a willy she'd be my grandad.

I can just see Ronnie turning down a lucrative few years at LA Galalaxy for the twilight of his career and opting for that shit hole.

I’m saying if you manage Everton and had to choose between Messi and Ronaldo, I’d pick Ronaldo because he can carry a team, Messi doesn’t fancy a relegation battle. 

8 minutes ago, Juventino said:

The 1980s pitches in Italy were also fucked come winter time. Didn’t mean you have to resort to kick and rush.

Maradona took some terrible punishment in Spain and Italy. There were some very physical players there too. For example, look at who Lineker - and Maradona - say was the toughest defender they ever faced, it was Pietro Vierchowod.

It may have been slower, and still is, but it’s tactically far ahead. Nobody was giving players space.

Dribblers run out of steam in Prem. Technical ability doesn’t work out. That’s why Gazza went to Italy he was getting kicked to pieces. I’m not talking dark arts, just kicked in the air. And he was playing with donkeys like Waddle. The slower pace was kinder on his legs. 

Meet Vinnie Jones

Edited by wasted

21 minutes ago, wasted said:

Dribblers run out of steam in Prem. Technical ability doesn’t work out. That’s why Gazza went to Italy he was getting kicked to pieces. I’m not talking dark arts, just kicked in the air. And he was playing with donkeys like Waddle. The slower pace was kinder on his legs. 

Meet Vinnie Jones

Seen that crazy gang documentary?