11/29/17 - Los Angeles, CA - The Forum

gunsguy

51 minutes ago, AxlIsGod. said:

I dont understand most of the negativity in here. Was it axls best performance ever? no but its a pretty good effort in relation to how hes sounded all tour and especially for 2017. We got a monster set with nearly every rotation song played, and the show is in good quality and well mixed. Things aint gonna be perfect weve seen that from axl for 6 years or so now but when you factor everything into recent soundboard recordings youre going back to rock am ring to get a better one imo. And then the setlist on this one take it up a notch. Its nice to get this at the end of the current tour, if youre moaning about axls voice again isnt there a thread for that? Honestly...

Nah...In 55 pages we have something around 99% of positivity and this in MyGNR world is a miracle!:lol:

Edited by Derick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, AxlIsGod. said:

I dont understand most of the negativity in here. Was it axls best performance ever? no but its a pretty good effort in relation to how hes sounded all tour and especially for 2017. We got a monster set with nearly every rotation song played, and the show is in good quality and well mixed. Things aint gonna be perfect weve seen that from axl for 6 years or so now but when you factor everything into recent soundboard recordings youre going back to rock am ring to get a better one imo. And then the setlist on this one take it up a notch. Its nice to get this at the end of the current tour, if youre moaning about axls voice again isnt there a thread for that? Honestly...

I’ve stayed out of I‎t for the most part lately but what usually happens is the overly optimistic fans overrate the performance and the realistic fans come in and underrate I‎t as hard as the optimist overrated I‎t. Kinda like politics...some go too far to the left and the correction is to go too far to the right. If there were more constructive talk like “man Axl is really trying on RQ...not his best but definitely a good effort” versus “OMG Best RQ ever...2010? More like 2017..i can’t beleive what I’m hearing it’s like the 90’s all over again!!!” You see the latter doesn’t work Bc a fan with ears will come in and listen to I‎t and go “WTF sounds like every bad performance between 11-17...” 

The middle of this: Axl sounds really good at times. But there are definitely moments where you have to wonder why he uses that style of voice knowing I‎t sounds terrible. It’s been a long tour..he sounded better last year let’s give him a break and see what he comes back with. 

Hard truth: i was at my gym yesterday Bc they always have classic rewind on on Sirius...i got there just before This I Love..nobody seems to be paying attention to the audio Bc most have headphones. I think YCBM was on but anyways during the first few lines of TIL this guy gets up and says to his buddy “can they change this shit” and that’s when  i finally realized that song sucks haha 

this really sucked 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I’ve stayed out of I‎t for the most part lately but what usually happens is the overly optimistic fans overrate the performance and the realistic fans come in and underrate I‎t as hard as the optimist overrated I‎t. Kinda like politics...some go too far to the left and the correction is to go too far to the right. If there were more constructive talk like “man Axl is really trying on RQ...not his best but definitely a good effort” versus “OMG Best RQ ever...2010? More like 2017..i can’t beleive what I’m hearing it’s like the 90’s all over again!!!” You see the latter doesn’t work Bc a fan with ears will come in and listen to I‎t and go “WTF sounds like every bad performance between 11-17...” 

The middle of this: Axl sounds really good at times. But there are definitely moments where you have to wonder why he uses that style of voice knowing I‎t sounds terrible. It’s been a long tour..he sounded better last year let’s give him a break and see what he comes back with. 

Hard truth: i was at my gym yesterday Bc they always have classic rewind on on Sirius...i got there just before This I Love..nobody seems to be paying attention to the audio Bc most have headphones. I think YCBM was on but anyways during the first few lines of TIL this guy gets up and says to his buddy “can they change this shit” and that’s when  i finally realized that song sucks haha 

this really sucked 

Oh, a random dude at a gym doesn't like TIL when he's hearing it randomly for the first time ever while he's working out? 

Look, I know that a lot of people don't like CD but that example is just humorous to me. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh, a random dude at a gym doesn't like TIL when he's hearing it randomly for the first time ever while he's working out? 

Look, I know that a lot of people don't like CD but that example is just humorous to me. 

Of course they’re not going to want to work out with that song! It’s a great song but the furthest thing I’d want to hear while lifting weights :P

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Of course they’re not going to want to work out with that song! It’s a great song but the furthest thing I’d want to hear while lifting weights :P

Oh I know. I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, I just thought that specific example was funny. 

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Prostitute is a real mess. And it's mostly Dizzy's fault. Man, he is shit when you really hear him warts and all.

And listening to Axl on the verses of TWAT, it's hard to believe he is a professional singer. Shakey, wobbly, no control, slipping in and out of tune. And full on Micky during the choruses. Wow. It's awful. I didn't realise things were this bad. Only good thing about it is Slash's solo, which he does a good job on, although not as good as Ron used to.

I was there and the first few minutes of TWAT were pathetic to the point of feeling sorry for Axl. You could barely hear him and what you could sounded atrociously weak...it also was a horrible time to play that song. It was getting real late into the night/show and 99% of people did not want to hear any more CD songs. I don't hate the CD songs but you can instantly notice the drop in quality when they play those songs live. Part of it is that Axl can't sing most of them very well and the main part is that the actual songs aren't that good. Especially compared to legendary GN'R tunes. They have interesting parts but they never total into anything that satisfying or memorable.

All in all I enjoyed the show and am glad I was at longest show in GN'R history. Without new music though this is a good point for Slash to move on to other things imo.

• Like 3

@IncitingChaos pretty much nailed it. Some songs sound pretty good the whole way through (OTGM, Madagascar) and some suck (Better, TIL) but I think a lot of people praise him for being barely acceptable; an "if it's not trash, it's great" kinda thing. This was one of the better shows from 2017, but 2017 has been a fucking horrible year for Axl. (I saw them twice and it was bad even when the guy was 10 feet away from me.)

Sorry is probably the most frustrating song from the broadcast - the band sounds good but Axl is all over the place, literally from line to line he'll go from a full, rich lower voice to Grandma Axl to Mickey and back again. Why he won't adapt/tweak the song to use his lower voice and a range he can be raspy in is something only he knows, but it would benefit plenty of songs...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I  simply found I‎t humorous also haha on the other hand there’s plenty of evidence of that song being butchered. 

My post was to be taken in a light mannered way. Surely no one here cares what that guy thought at the gym. But with that said i hope nobody thought that performance of TIL at the forum was good...it’s pretty bad. I wouldn’t play I‎t for my friends and ever expect them to like I‎t. 

5 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I  simply found I‎t humorous also haha on the other hand there’s plenty of evidence of that song being butchered. 

My post was to be taken in a light mannered way. Surely no one here cares what that guy thought at the gym. But with that said i hope nobody thought that performance of TIL at the forum was good...it’s pretty bad. I wouldn’t play I‎t for my friends and ever expect them to like I‎t. 

Right on. I wasn't trying to be a dick :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

At some point this year, TIL surpassed Better and regularly became the worst song of the night. I expect them to keep playing both, but since they seem to like mixing in CD songs, I wish they'd swap those for IRS (where Axl can belt out the lyrics more, meaning they'll probably sound better) and Street of Dreams (because fuck it, it can't be worse than TIL).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

At some point this year, TIL surpassed Better and regularly became the worst song of the night. I expect them to keep playing both, but since they seem to like mixing in CD songs, I wish they'd swap those for IRS (where Axl can belt out the lyrics more, meaning they'll probably sound better) and Street of Dreams (because fuck it, it can't be worse than TIL).

Yea not sure what happened but TIL used to be a bit better than I‎t is now.

for a forum shaming i present Houston’s version (which i don’t think was even the best that year)

but yea everything was better, I‎t had a build up, I‎t didn’t sound like Axl was on his last breath...I‎t was kinda cool to see live in Arlington that year. Then i heard I‎t in El Paso this year and I‎t was terrible...I’ve never actually heard Axl’s voice fail in person until that song on that night haha 

3 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Yea not sure what happened but TIL used to be a bit better than I‎t is now.

for a forum shaming i present Houston’s version (which i don’t think was even the best that year)

but yea everything was better, I‎t had a build up, I‎t didn’t sound like Axl was on his last breath...I‎t was kinda cool to see live in Arlington that year. Then i heard I‎t in El Paso this year and I‎t was terrible...I’ve never actually heard Axl’s voice fail in person until that song on that night haha 

The one from the Vancouver show might be the worst version of that song ever. If it's not, I never want to hear what is. But yea, last year it just had a different element to it, this year Slash seems bored with the solo all the time and Axl doesn't sing it with any feeling other than "fuck I hate this song".

2 hours ago, AxlIsGod. said:

I agree mate I didnt expect a Axl 93 was just a bit piss at the Rio and Apollo shows when most of us know how good they sound live they were a big let down. Its amazing how much better they can sound with a good mix too. Is i perfect no but I like most of it :thumbsup:I remember a topic on dizzy saying he pretty much plays great on all shows. Until you can hear what hes doing like this show hes all over the place.

If we had a few of these good mixes we could make a great mix. If only we had Houston :wub:

Edited by Gibbo
  • Like 2

To add to the voice discussion...i don’t think anyone expected a 90’s Axl to appear out of nowhere. But many of us have been saying for over a year that Axl needs to prepare his voice for these broadcast. As we’ve heard there are moments in songs on the soundboard that will leave anyone scratching their head as to how a professional singer sounds that bad. 

On the plus side i was surprised with some of his performances Bc I‎t was much better than what I’d heard all year. He’s exhausted vocally though, it’s the end of a long tour. He can do better but he did try and give I‎t extra on the 29th...i always appreciate the effort. He’s just gotta change up his vocal style on certain songs. That will make a big difference 

17 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

To add to the voice discussion...i don’t think anyone expected a 90’s Axl to appear out of nowhere. But many of us have been saying for over a year that Axl needs to prepare his voice for these broadcast. As we’ve heard there are moments in songs on the soundboard that will leave anyone scratching their head as to how a professional singer sounds that bad. 

On the plus side i was surprised with some of his performances Bc I‎t was much better than what I’d heard all year. He’s exhausted vocally though, it’s the end of a long tour. He can do better but he did try and give I‎t extra on the 29th...i always appreciate the effort. He’s just gotta change up his vocal style on certain songs. That will make a big difference 

Yes he is burnt out. I would be too its been pretty full on year and a half

7 hours ago, Tucknroll said:

I wonder how axl runs around in those boots. Everyone else wears sneakers. Nothing big, just something I've noticed 

I wear vintage black label Frye boots from the early 1970s and even just walking around get to me sometime, how he manages boots continuously on stage is beyond me. 

• Like 1