11/29/17 - Los Angeles, CA - The Forum

gunsguy

35 minutes ago, ASLayerAODsk said:

how do you know he played the solos? when he doesnt play many of the solos from Chidem?, or most of them, Fortus does, Slash delegates himself? to rhythm for those songs usually...

I've had the opportunity to watch some videos from shows on this tour and could see Slash was playing the There Was A Time solos.  All three!  

Fortus plays lots of lead guitar, its true.  From what I've seen Slash plays most of the guitar solos.  They split the guitar solo on Chinese Democracy. Each of them play one on that track, back-to-back.  Fortus plays lots of leads on Better and Madagascar, but I can see that Slash plays the rest of the solos, though (or most, I might be forgotten something?).

When Slash plays a solo it comes out of both the left and right speakers.  When Fortus plays a lead guitar part that isn't a guitar solo - like in the bridge section of Better, just after "Now we all know better!" - it's primarily in the left speaker.

Now, as far as who played what on the album Chinese Democracy?  I have little idea much of the time!

1 minute ago, soon said:

I've had the opportunity to watch some videos from shows on this tour and could see Slash was playing the There Was A Time solos.  All three!  

Fortus plays lots of lead guitar, its true.  From what I've seen Slash plays most of the guitar solos.  They split the guitar solo on Chinese Democracy. Each of them play one on that track, back-to-back.  Fortus plays lots of leads on Better and Madagascar, but I can see that Slash plays the rest of the solos, though (or most, I might be forgotten something?).

When Slash plays a solo it comes out of both the left and right speakers.  When Fortus plays a lead guitar part that isn't a guitar solo - like in the bridge section of Better, just after "Now we all know better!" - it's primarily in the left speaker.

Now, as far as who played what on the album Chinese Democracy?  I have little idea much of the time!

I Noticed that when I went to see them, It's a peculiar decision... I know that I want to hear the lead guitar loud and clear, whether it's Slash playing or if Richard is playing, obviously someone in the GNR camp disagrees:slash:

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I Noticed that when I went to see them, It's a peculiar decision... I know that I want to hear the lead guitar loud and clear, whether it's Slash playing or if Richard is playing, obviously someone in the GNR camp disagrees:slash:

I'd be interested to remind myself how those parts were mixed live in Nu GNR.  But the degree to which its done on NITL does stand out enough to potentially take one out of the moment when listening live, to my ears. For me its section by section on when its musically motivated and when its possibly not.

Finally listening through the whole show. The mix sounds absolutely brilliant. Finally a mix that makes justice to the band. Only 25 into the show but I felt I had to post after listening to DTJ. Having seen them a couple of times on the NITL tour, this is the first time that I feel that the band gels, more specific I feel that Frank and Duff finally found the groove. Also Great to hear Slash and Fortus guitars in a good mix. Their sounds compliment each other perfectly, Slash raw amp distorsion and Fortus less distorted really brings GNR to the level they so truly deserve. It's amazing what almost two years of touring can do to the band. Well done GNR! 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, G O A T said:

Finally listening through the whole show. The mix sounds absolutely brilliant. Finally a mix that makes justice to the band. Only 25 into the show but I felt I had to post after listening to DTJ. Having seen them a couple of times on the NITL tour, this is the first time that I feel that the band gels, more specific I feel that Frank and Duff finally found the groove. Also Great to hear Slash and Fortus guitars in a good mix. Their sounds compliment each other perfectly, Slash raw amp distorsion and Fortus less distorted really brings GNR to the level they so truly deserve. It's amazing what almost two years of touring can do to the band. Well done GNR! 

Caram mixed this show the band wasn't happy with SiriusXM mix at the Apollo show. He actually remixed Apollo and Sirius played it a month later apperly

Edited by Gibbo
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

18 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

Caram mixed this show the band wasn't happy with SiriusXM mix at the Apollo show. He actually remixed Apollo and Sirius played it a month later apperly

Caram is obviously the right guy to get a GNR live mix right. It's not too polshed or over compressed. He makes them sound like a great Rock N' Roll band which is what they've always been and always will be.

2 hours ago, GNRfanJen said:

fuckin' legends

Sebastian Bach hanging out with Axl backstage at the show last night. It really is like old times... 

Axl looks so chill in this pic. lol

Wiz Khalifa was at the concert with his gf by the way, her instastories is huge, so many videos, looks like she is a real fan, she even caught the 'boyz' chatting a bit before the show start.

Edited by Rickodez

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

So strange to hear Axl talking to the crowd, is this a new thing? A couple of months he barely opened his mouth between songs... he was almost chatty for this gig... almost ;) 

Depends on the gig, he talked a little bit at the San Antonio show I was at.

2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Yeh, that original mix was very muddy, good call... also glad someone in the GNR camp is keeping an eye on that end of things.

With Caram doing the front of house for the tour, I wonder how much work IF any did he do with Axl on the downtime tweaking CD material. Seems quite plausible they'd be doing something or another.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

So strange to hear Axl talking to the crowd, is this a new thing? A couple of months he barely opened his mouth between songs... he was almost chatty for this gig... almost ;) 

he was really talkative at the St. Louis show I was at. He even told stories and cracked jokes.