11/29/17 - Los Angeles, CA - The Forum

gunsguy

16 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

I'm listening the bootleg right now and why the hell Frank counts every single song on the begining? its weird

That always stands out to me too.  For me the weirdest is Sorry because theres essentially a double count in.

29 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

I'm listening the bootleg right now and why the hell Frank counts every single song on the begining? its weird

11 minutes ago, soon said:

That always stands out to me too.  For me the weirdest is Sorry because theres essentially a double count in.

It's because pretty much the whole show is set to a click track. So Frank counts in to the click and everyone starts at the same time.

• Like 2

I'm primarily a Slash fan. Only had a quick listen to one or 2 songs so far but I was disappointed.  

Nightrain outro, DTJ outro and November Rain outro are 3 great solos but they sounded a bit meh with quite a few mistakes. 

Not Slashs greatest show.  And he is the star of the show imo 

I was at the show, on the rail in front of slash/right by the catwalk and it was a lot of fun and it's cool to now have been at what for now is the longest GNR show ever.

BUT...

I go in to these shows knowing that live it sounds a lot better because Axl's voice is lost in the mix a little, there are fans cheering, and all the instruments are louder. I tried listening to a a number of tracks from the broadcast and it sort of starts to kill the illusion of how fun the show was. I really don't know how people are making such big deal about how great it was. Maybe it's lot of new GNR fans that have found the band in the last couple years or what is generally accepted has just drastically dropped in quality but man, it's hard to listen to.

For me, while I love seeing Slash and Axl together.. nothing will beat the performances I saw of Axl in 12/2006 in LA (x3) or the many times I saw Slash and Duff with VR. I feel 2004-2007 for all parties involved was a time where they had matured and were "older" but were at either the top of their games (slash) or very high levels still (Axl).

At the end of the day that was over a decade ago, so it is very understandable but it just blows me away a little to see people get so excited over audio of this quality.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

I think Frank is the only one with a click track in his in-ears (metronome).  So he is counting in the songs to the tempo the band has decided upon.  Also, for several songs the screens are probably controlled via midi command which runs along the same timeline as the click track.  A good example of this is Madagascar - everything is in sync with the click track Frank is playing to, so when it reaches the spoken word section that plays at a very specific point of the song the words on the screen and the audio are in sync.

As for Sorry (someone posted about Sorry) he counts in the first part so Slash can play the little opening guitar part, then counts in the actual band intro so that everybody comes in at the correct spot.  My guess is that if you were to go and watch an actual video of the performance here is what you would see:  No video on the screen, then Frank does the first count and the video starts and Slash plays his opening part, then Frank counts the actual intro in and the band starts.  If the whole band had the click track in their ears Frank wouldn't need to count everything in.

Everybody who complains about Frank and his tempos needs to know that he didn't pick the tempos and that he is just following the click.

Here is another example; Listen to Axl's intro on November Rain.  The tempo is usually pretty fast live, then there is the pause before the drum fill that intros the whole band.  Frank doesn't count it off per say, but the drum fill itself is set to the count off, and the tempo is always slowed down to the actual tempo of NR.  In other words, Frank is playing to a click so his part is always at the proper tempo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, illusionone said:

I just finished Sorry and I thought overal it was good.  I’m trying to figure out what parts of the song are axl v pre recorded from the 5 min mark on though.  

the "owes you" and "one goddamn thing", and "put your"

1 hour ago, Stiff Competition said:

I was at the show, on the rail in front of slash/right by the catwalk and it was a lot of fun and it's cool to now have been at what for now is the longest GNR show ever.

BUT...

I go in to these shows knowing that live it sounds a lot better because Axl's voice is lost in the mix a little, there are fans cheering, and all the instruments are louder. I tried listening to a a number of tracks from the broadcast and it sort of starts to kill the illusion of how fun the show was. I really don't know how people are making such big deal about how great it was. Maybe it's lot of new GNR fans that have found the band in the last couple years or what is generally accepted has just drastically dropped in quality but man, it's hard to listen to.

For me, while I love seeing Slash and Axl together.. nothing will beat the performances I saw of Axl in 12/2006 in LA (x3) or the many times I saw Slash and Duff with VR. I feel 2004-2007 for all parties involved was a time where they had matured and were "older" but were at either the top of their games (slash) or very high levels still (Axl).

At the end of the day that was over a decade ago, so it is very understandable but it just blows me away a little to see people get so excited over audio of this quality.

I’m a Slash fan as well and was at the show (and one this summer). I’ve seen him with his band a couple times the last 6 years and he has absolutely killed it.  I think when he tours without GnR, his song selection and playing is through the roof. No lulls whatsoever and it goes at his pace. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

IMO, 2005 was by far the worst year of Slash's career. Late 2007 and 2008 (until VR disbanded) he was a fn' monster, though. I still prefer 2010-11-12 Slash over VR's and the current one.

39 minutes ago, Blue62 said:

I’m a Slash fan as well and was at the show (and one this summer). I’ve seen him with his band a couple times the last 6 years and he has absolutely killed it.  I think when he tours without GnR, his song selection and playing is through the roof. No lulls whatsoever and it goes at his pace. 

Well, he has a brilliant drummer in SMKC while GNR might have the worst drummer a rock n' roll band have ever had. That sure affects his playing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

IMO, 2005 was by far the worst year of Slash's career. Late 2007 and 2008 (until VR disbanded) he was a fn' monster, though. I still prefer 2010-11-12 Slash over VR's and the current one.

Well, he has a brilliant drummer in SMKC while GNR might have the worst drummer a rock n' roll band have ever had. That sure affects his playing.

I think Slash is still playing great but he doesn't really seem to be as in to the GNR shows as he was VR or solo (aside form a couple songs like Coma, The Seeker, etc). For me, that's the main difference with him.

I agree slash was great in 10/11/12 and any recent tours with his solo band. I'm just not a fan of Myles so it sort of puts a damper on the work overall for me.

Edited by Stiff Competition

Prostitute is a real mess. And it's mostly Dizzy's fault. Man, he is shit when you really hear him warts and all.

And listening to Axl on the verses of TWAT, it's hard to believe he is a professional singer. Shakey, wobbly, no control, slipping in and out of tune. And full on Micky during the choruses. Wow. It's awful. I didn't realise things were this bad. Only good thing about it is Slash's solo, which he does a good job on, although not as good as Ron used to.

Edited by Towelie

38 minutes ago, Tucknroll said:

I wonder how axl runs around in those boots. Everyone else wears sneakers. Nothing big, just something I've noticed 

No doubt. He gets around pretty good in them for sure. I’d probably be wiping out in those things if I ever tried doing what Axl does...

5 minutes ago, Crowebar said:

No doubt. He gets around pretty good in them for sure. I’d probably be wiping out in those things if I ever tried doing what Axl does...

He used to be a sneaker man, no? Those white Converse he used to wear back in the 90s... and he also used to wear like Doc Marteen’s, no? Or something similar... i wouldn’t last 5 minutes in those boots for sure :shrugs:

My internet went down on Wednesday so I'm just listening to this, holy crap My Michelle, my fav song of all time and Axl goes full rasp, I'm about to cry that might be the best live performance of my Michelle I've ever heard.

Also is OTGM Frank's favorite song? He requested it and like his only drum solo ever was before it in Tokyo.

30 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Prostitute is a real mess. And it's mostly Dizzy's fault. Man, he is shit when you really hear him warts and all.

And listening to Axl on the verses of TWAT, it's hard to believe he is a professional singer. Shakey, wobbly, no control, slipping in and out of tune. And full on Micky during the choruses. Wow. It's awful. I didn't realise things were this bad. Only good thing about it is Slash's solo, which he does a good job on, although not as good as Ron used to.

To be fair, that wasn't the best version of Prostitute, and up till last night they've been been playing the shit out of that song, Slash especially in the second solo.  The first solo was a little messy (although I agree with you about Dizzy...I really, really dislike his style, always have done).  Slash also noodled quite a bit with Sorry but made up for it with Catcher, which was amazing.  Slash's BH solo for TWAT was brilliant.  Totally brilliant.  I prefer it to Bucket's.   And he finally nailed Robin's solo, although I will always prefer Robin's.

Have to agree with you about Axl on TWAT.  I didn't want to bring the good mood down by saying anything, but yeah...he should put that song to bed now that Slash has nailed both the solos.  I don't normally have a scrap of praise for Axl's singing but he really did sound pretty darn good on lots of other songs on the night.  I was really pleased for him.

4 hours ago, highvoltage said:

I'm not going to pretend he sounds perfect, but I think the performance is leaps and bounds ahead of the two previous soundboards.

I should have worded it differently I guess.

Axl sounds far from perfect. Even with the additional rasp, he sounds like shit to my ears.

It's So Easy and Brownstone (songs Axl used to fucking nail with little to no effort) were a struggle to listen to.

That was also one of the worst performances of Madagasacar.

I feel like doing more gigs is a bad idea.

• Like 1