Estranged from Rock in Rio 2011 (Discussion)

Hey guys. I was just watching @fanfzero 's clip of Estranged from the Rock in Rio 2011 stream. What amazed me at first was the great quality of the video, but then I payed attention to the performance itself. Considering this show is, by a lot of people, one of the worst in GN'R's history, I personally think this Estranged performance is one of the best they ever did (since the old days). Remember that it was the first time played since 1993. I think it's great, even superior to the ones from most recent years. Axl sounds awesome, with even some rasp in the ending. Try to listen to him and then compare it to the 2013/2014 (even 2016) performances. I think it's one of the few songs that didn't get butchered that night.

And also, the quality of the video is amazing :) 

What do you guys think?

Edited by GNRfanMILO

It's funny this is a topic now, as @Amir and I were talking about exactly this before the Montreal show a few weeks ago.

For all the shit people give Rio 2011 (Most of it deservedly so), this was a really significant moment in Guns history. It's a song lots of fans had been clamoring to hear live again for years. For me personally, Estranged is my favorite song ever by any artist, so I remember being really overwhelmed during the webcast when they played it. Considering Axl apparently didn't rehearse it, I think he sounded pretty decent, especially when you factor in the awful weather and the fact that it was his 2011 voice. 

• GNFNR 2

Thought it was cool moment for Guns, but you could see how pissed Axl was during the live stream and there were a few voice cracks and lyrics flubs but that's just the nitpick in me :P. Was actually a really damn cool moment that everyone freaked out over...now could you imagine if they pulled a surprise and played Breakdown at this year's Rio?

3 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Thought it was cool moment for Guns, but you could see how pissed Axl was during the live stream and there were a few voice cracks and lyrics flubs but that's just the nitpick in me :P. Was actually a really damn cool moment that everyone freaked out over...now could you imagine if they pulled a surprise and played Breakdown at this year's Rio?

I'd say Dead Horse is coming next 

Thanks for posting - I don't normally seek out this kind of thing, so it was nice to see the band do good job on this.  It's weird...I love CD to death yet I can't bring myself to watch any live performances from NuGuns and I feel distinctly uncomfortable watching Axl in this era.  I don't know why, I just get a sense of an unwell, unhappy man and I don't like to see that unfolding before my eyes.  He seems so much better nowadays.

As a result of not following NuGUns during this time, I have a question (hope I don't get yelled at): why doesn't anyone like DJ Ashba? 

4 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Thanks for posting - I don't normally seek out this kind of thing, so it was nice to see the band do good job on this.  It's weird...I love CD to death yet I can't bring myself to watch any live performances from NuGuns and I feel distinctly uncomfortable watching Axl in this era.  I don't know why, I just get a sense of an unwell, unhappy man and I don't like to see that unfolding before my eyes.  He seems so much better nowadays.

As a result of not following NuGUns during this time, I have a question (hope I don't get yelled at): why doesn't anyone like DJ Ashba? 

Ashba still wasn't totally intolerable in 2011 - the longer he was in the band, the more annoying he got. I was on his side at the beginning - he was playing decently, he dressed casually; flannels, plain black shirts, etc. As time went on his playing got sloppier, he started dressing like he was trying hard to be a rockstar (Wearing shirts that say "Fuck what other people think", "Demented death ride from hell", etc.), he started wearing full-face makeup occasionally, and he came off as a total douche in interviews (In one interview he'd say how he's so against bullying, in the next he'd tell this story about how him and Axl beat some guy up in a bar one, then he started talking about how he considers himself an entrepreneur first and foremost, and he's a musician second).

By the end, even Axl, Tommy and BBF were making fun of him onstage. Watch Tommy at 3:55 in this one:

Or Axl and BBF at 6:15 in this one:

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Ashba still wasn't totally intolerable in 2011 - the longer he was in the band, the more annoying he got. I was on his side at the beginning - he was playing decently, he dressed casually; flannels, plain black shirts, etc. As time went on his playing got sloppier, he started dressing like he was trying hard to be a rockstar (Wearing shirts that say "Fuck what other people think", "Demented death ride from hell", etc.), he started wearing full-face makeup occasionally, and he came off as a total douche in interviews (In one interview he'd say how he's so against bullying, in the next he'd tell this story about how him and Axl beat some guy up in a bar one, then he started talking about how he considers himself an entrepreneur first and foremost, and he's a musician second).

By the end, even Axl, Tommy and BBF were making fun of him onstage. Watch Tommy at 3:55 in this one:

Wow.  HA! I get it now - I was literally LOLing!!  Bumblefoot's reaction - what a legend!  Thanks for posting those.  OK, the guy seems like a bit of a wanker.  Yet Axl asked him to stay on for the NITL tour?  Must have liked him despite his delusions of grandeur. :lol:

2 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Wow.  HA! I get it now - I was literally LOLing!!  Bumblefoot's reaction - what a legend!  Thanks for posting those.  OK, the guy seems like a bit of a wanker.  Yet Axl asked him to stay on for the NITL tour?  Must have liked him despite his delusions of grandeur. :lol:

Axl asked DJ to stay, not Bumblefoot. Which would have been a mess. Can you imagine him and Slash at the same stage? 

Edited by Sosso

54 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Thanks for giving us the opportunity of seeing these clips once more. Total gold!

18 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Hey guys. I was just watching @fanfzero 's clip of Estranged from the Rock in Rio 2011 stream. What amazed me at first was the great quality of the video, but then I payed attention to the performance itself. Considering this show is, by a lot of people, one of the worst in GN'R's history, I personally think this Estranged performance is one of the best they ever did (since the old days). Remember that it was the first time played since 1993. I think it's great, even superior to the ones from most recent years. Axl sounds awesome, with even some rasp in the ending. Try to listen to him and then compare it to the 2013/2014 (even 2016) performances. I think it's one of the few songs that didn't get butchered that night.

And also, the quality of the video is amazing :) 

What do you guys think?

Holy crap, dude. Thank you so much for posting that. Had not watched anything from the show since the live stream. In my head Estranged was awful. Can't believe how strong he sounds. Definitely not the unrehearsed, unprepared vocal I'd always remembered. He was in point. Strong. Clean but not Mickey. 

And Fuck, the band sounds tight and flawless despite only rehearsing it a few times according to Axl. 

And what a fantastic quality pro shot. Live edits and loads better than the dvd or London 12, ironically. 

Fucking beautiful. What went wrong with November and the rest?! 

7 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Just guessing but between losing Bucket, Robin and Brain and not being able/not wanting to get CD2 out in 09/10 he was probably pretty bummed. 

As for DJ, there are various things that bothered people. He used to absolutely butcher Patience to the point that Axl, Tommy and BBF would openly mock him on stage. There were the hacked emails that revealed he was getting paid more than BBF. Also his social media image, talking about he and Axl beating people  up in clubs in the most attention seeking, non-hard way. Just posing. And hocking his clothing line. 

18 hours ago, Sosso said:

It was THE highlight of the Rock in Rio 2011 show. It was a very emotional moment for me when they started to play the song. 

I not know if true, but one time read what was BUMBEEFLOT what convinced  Axl play again "Estranged"

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I not know if true, but one time read what was BUMBEEFLOT what convinced  Axl play again "Estranged"

Yes, it was Bumblefoot who convinced Axl to play Estranged. 

I would love to know how Buckethead would have sounded on that song by the way.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1