09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

Well, I still haven't seen the show. Just bits here and there.

I was disappointed how lame Slash's 2nd Estranged solo was. Yesterday too (even though he's been fucking it up ever since they started playing that song live). It just sucks when he improvises and doesn't play original. On top of that, his timing is off (November Rain) and bending as well (YCBM). 

Well for Axl, it is acceptable that his voice deteriorates as the tour progresses, but still...

It takes a lot more effort in singing than playing.

This band needs a spark. Steven and Izzy.

And less touring. 

A bad lead singer will make any band look bad.   

The "slash and Duff are back!" factor is gone and it can no longer hide Axl embarrassing vocals. 

You watch any old performance from this band, and it is like watching a totally different band. This band aged so badly.

Just look at Aerosmith, that is how it is done. And they are dinosaurs compared to GNR. 

The Who's set put GNR's to shame. It is sad.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

Well, I still haven't seen the show. Just bits here and there.

I was disappointed how lame Slash's 2nd Estranged solo was. Yesterday too (even though he's been fucking it up ever since they started playing that song live). It just sucks when he improvises and doesn't play original. On top of that, his timing is off (November Rain) and bending as well (YCBM). 

Well for Axl, it is acceptable that his voice deteriorates as the tour progresses, but still...

It takes a lot more effort in singing than playing.

This band needs a spark. Steven and Izzy.

And less touring. 

They need a spark from their lead singer. I would be bored as fuck at this point if I were a lead guitarist in this band, My lead singer sounding like a tired Mickey every night and the same tired set list. It is getting old. 

The money is the only motivation at this point. I think these guys wish they were doing their own thing. Slash needs to go back with Myles.

Edited by SWINGTRADER
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

I don't think this current lineup has any real band cohesion. Rio may have been a bad show but I think it sort of exposes what was apparent all along - that these guys are really good professional musicians who are doing their best to overcome a lack of chemistry. Old guns had bad shows too but they still felt like a band. This lineup doesn't feel like a band to me. 

They do have the chemistry, Axl interacts a lot with the band.

What doesn't feel real is that he uses the sames moves on the same parts of the songs and looks completely exhausted. He doesn't improvise as much as he used to. Overall he looks a bit bored by his own material, but it's only normal since he sang most of these songs live for over 15 years. Sure the setlist is longer than ever with tricky songs like Estranged and Coma being played every night, and after doing that for a year and a half non stop without much variation, you get bored. Especially when you have done most of it for 15 years. That's why Axl was fresher with AC/DC, it was way more exciting for him, whole new experience, hence he gave 100%.

I'm only talking about Axl because the rest of the band doesn't matter as much as Axl in the sense that the only one who can make the show feel real and explosive is Axl. When you look at the Aerosmith show, sure their whole band is on fire, but Tyler steals the show by 10.000 miles. He is the one that captivates your attention and that you hear before anyone else.

I also saw a recent NIN show, I was mindblown at how good Trent is right now. 

Gn'R as it is right now is tight and has chemistry, but Axl needs rest. We only miss Bumble or Bucket and even Finck to properly cover some Chinese solos.

Oh and yes my life totally revolves around Axl, I post here all day long to complain complain complain. I love it.

31 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I just watched a couple of songs on youtube.
If this is the new standard they can not charge that much money for this, it's criminal.
You could be mine made me laugh out loud, it's sooo bad.
I don't want to know what Slash is thinking at this point.

What can Slash think..? MickeyM is helping him rake up millions, so.. 

After all, that's the whole point of the 3Union, right?

It sort of confirms what I always suspected - the one thing Axl absolutely will not do is put out a new album. With diminishing attendances on the neverending Appetite/Democracy tour the only conceivable way he could keep going and get a big payday was bringing Slash and Duff back into the fold. Lo and behold, that's what he did and he can now wring another 2 years out of the same setlist while dragging them down into his money-spinning, creatively empty groundhog day.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Not a JBJ fan but I don't why he doesn't get back to that sort of lyrics and music pre 91. Always thought since 95 the band has become to "country rock" and has stayed that way. Unfortunately that sort of music breeds other artists such as keith urban :vomit:

Yeah, totally agree. He was huge in Europe in the 90s, but since they've kinda wandered into country rock (and subsequent departure of Richie) I don't see them selling out stadiums here anymore. Their new tracks have zero airplay here, but the classics on the other hand...

But that might be slightly offtopic here.

1 hour ago, JoeyBananaduck said:

It sort of confirms what I always suspected - the one thing Axl absolutely will not do is put out a new album. With diminishing attendances on the neverending Appetite/Democracy tour the only conceivable way he could keep going and get a big payday was bringing Slash and Duff back into the fold. Lo and behold, that's what he did and he can now wring another 2 years out of the same setlist while dragging them down into his money-spinning, creatively empty groundhog day.

The best things that can happen in the future are a new AC/DC album with Axl and a anniversary tour for UYI in 2021

God, I'm watching the show today and even Brownstone sounded awful. 

Edit: The raspy better part befor the breakdown, wtf was that? I can reunite a bunch of chickens and they'll sound the same if I make them scream

Edited by fanfzero
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, fanfzero said:

God, I'm watching the show today and even Brownstone sounded awful. 

Edit: The raspy better part befor the breakdown, wtf was that? I can reunite a bunch of chickens and they'll sound the same if I make them scream

Robin/Tommy used to sing the chorus live and Axl apparently hasn't thought to assign that part to Duff, so he tries to sing everything himself and it sounds terrible

5 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

They need a spark from their lead singer. I would be bored as fuck at this point if I were a lead guitarist in this band, My lead singer sounding like a tired Mickey every night and the same tired set list. It is getting old.

Exactly. Axl is probably pleased with the positive reaction to Slash being back, and slowly started getting lazier and lazier while passing everything onto him. What he doesn't seem to realize is that Slash can't carry GNR by himself - to 90% of people, the band is the lead singer/guitarist combo.

I'd say I expect an open letter apology penned by Axl soon, but even on the off chance it did happen, it would probably be something like:

'Blah blah technical difficulties blah blah thank you for your continued support blah blah this reunion would not have been possible without you blah blah the band has never felt better...'   and other PR shit like that.

If Axl hasn't enough motivation to deliver something better than this he should just fucking quit performing with Guns for good. 

If he physically can't do better than this he should cancel all the remaining dates and explain.

Everything else is an insult to his audience and "bandmembers".

Edited by El Guapo

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I thought he was fine, Slash, personally. I listened to that second 'Estranged' solo and I liked the direction he went. He also seemed into it by his physical activity; he did pogo stick jumps during 'Coma' for instance as well as his other 'shapes', the vertically lifted guitar, etc. 

Rose was absolutely atrocious. Have you heard that outro to 'Coma'? It sounded like a pig being drowned. If he was not surrounded by 'yes' men, somebody would say something.

That ending of Coma was worrying. I thought he was about to have a stroke.

11 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If Axl hasn't enough motivation to deliver something better than this he should just fucking quit performing with Guns for good. 

If he physically can't do better than this he should cancel all the remaining dates and explain.

Everything else is an insult to his audience and "bandmembers".

I'd say it's more insulting to his bandmates that he brings his A+++ game for another band, whereas they get a falsetto-fest and a guy that can't dig deep for one of their biggest shows

3 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

People like you are the reason Rose is able to sound absolutely atrocious and get away with it.

No... he's able to get away with it because he is regarded as one of the greatest rock frontmen in music history. He could continue to tour for the rest of his life replacing singing with fart noises and he would still get people to show up and pay exorbitant prices to hear it. The type of people who routinely show up to live concerts tend to be a lot less judgmental when it comes to the quality of the live performances; they simply enjoy the atmosphere and the fact that they get to see their favorite bands play some of their favorite songs. At this point I honestly don't think I'd pay $5 to attend a GNR concert, but I've got no resentment for people who still enjoy live GNR.

Would everybody just take a step back, please? 

Yes, Axl sounded like shit. Yet another potentially great pro-shot not worth keeping, being too cringeworthy. 

No, it’s not the end of anything. You can clearly hear that the problem is in Axl’s vocal chords being too worn out by the constant touring. And honestly, I basically blame the AC/DC stunt. As amazing as it was, to me this is the source of the biggest chunk of the problem. I even remember his voice cracking during those last shows with Angus. He strained it so much and there’s no way it didn’t take a high toll. 

No, it’s not just "Axl’s laziness". I mean, I hate to use this cheap rhetoric, but if you seriously believe that Axl could have changed this just through a few hours of rehearsing / practicing his voice, you certainly are screwed in the head. Not even in several days. You can clearly hear it’s just worn out and needs a rest. And we’ve been here before. The Bridge School benefit disaster 2012, anyone? But that was almost constant, whereas e.g. 2016 was awesome. 

It’s true they didn’t have to do the other NA tour, they just should have done these few SA dates and that would be it for the year. I wouldn’t mind if they cancelled NA completely. But it’s their homeland, and I understand that. 
Anyway, there definitely needs to be some rest afterwards. Release a DVD (not Rio, duh), work on new music and tell us by the end of 2018 that a new record would be released in 2019. Then a tour. Not before. Just a show or two now and then, but no tour, not without rest and without new music. 

It’s yet another opportunity wasted, but there will be other, great shows, I wouldn’t worry. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 3