Polls: Best/Worst GN'R Rock in Rios

Best/Worst Guns n' Roses RIR  

205 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rock in Rio is a great festival that brings 100,000+ fans joy every year. Unfortunately (and sadly fitting) for our band there seems to have been a Rio curse on them. I feel like this could be a great topic of debate, so what do you guys think the best and worst Rock in Rios are?

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
Typo

4 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

Had Slash & Duff :D

Having been back in the band for nearly two years already. Every other Rock In Rio had something special going for it; 1991 was the first time we heard a lot of UYI songs live as well as Sorum's first show, 2001 had new songs and the second show with that lineup - it was really the first that virtually anyone saw or heard of that band. 2006 had some new songs that had debuted the week prior at Hammerstein. 2011 had the return of Estranged. 2017 had a lineup who's done over 100 shows together doing the same setlist they've done night in and night out, and the only thing worth mentioning setlist-wise is we got two "new" covers that were added to the set and have already been played to death. 

Honestly, take out anything related to the actual performance, and 2017 is still my least favorite. 

• Like 1

1991 and 2001 are the only enjoyable Rio shows that I would sit through and watch again. 1991 for being the last truly great festival date that the band played with the originals largely intact. 2001 for being a mysterious and bizarrely entertaining gig with an Axl that still had some fire in him. The others are a load of shite as the British would say. I watched the 2006 show in my college dorm on a livestream iirc and remember being bored stiff - even an in form Axl couldn't rise above the dullness of his band.

2011 was a total embarrassment - but it was a dumpster fire where you couldn't take your eyes away from what you were seeing.  2017 may have been worse though because it just felt stale and tired. Boring. The only show where there were no surprises or even minor setlist changes - the band was literally going through the motions. I didn't expect much from the show so I wasn't disappointed but all I could think afterwards were two things:

"1. Wow...that was just...lazy. Even Slash looks bored. 2. I'm amazed Axl made it through the show without losing his voice. Time to take a long break."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RONIN said:

1991 and 2001 are the only enjoyable Rio shows that I would sit through and watch again. 1991 for being the last truly great festival date that the band played with the originals largely intact. 2001 for being a mysterious and bizarrely entertaining gig with an Axl that still had some fire in him. 

Agreed! The show from 2001 is probably the one I have watched the most.

22 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The others are a load of shite as the British would say. I watched the 2006 show in my college dorm on a livestream iirc and remember being bored stiff - even an in form Axl couldn't rise above the dullness of his band.

That show was still enjoyable for me because it was one of the last pro shots with Robin as guitarist and Brain as Drummer. The exit of Buckethead was even an bigger loss

Edited by Sosso

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Agreed! The show from 2001 is probably the one I have watched the most.

Yep - I've watched that one the most as well. Axl's voice sucks in that show but it is still ridiculously entertaining. Loads of energy from Axl and Bucket firing on all cylinders. 

That show was still enjoyable for me because it was one of the last pro shots with Robin as guitarist and Brain as Drummer. The exist of Buckethead was even an bigger loss

Yeah it was just too big of a hit to lose him from the lineup. GnR really needs that "star" guitar player to counterbalance Axl like a Slash or Buckethead. I did like seeing Robin and Brain still in the mix though. Once they left, the lineup became completely downgraded.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Yep - I've watched that one the most as well. Axl's voice sucks in that show but it is still ridiculously entertaining. Loads of energy from Axl and Bucket firing on all cylinders. 

i dont't think that his voice "sucked" at the show from 2001 - especially compared to the show from this year. He still had some power in his voice and he was not sounding like Mickey.

20 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Yeah it was just too big of a hit to lose him from the lineup. GnR really needs that "star" guitar player to counterbalance Axl like a Slash or Buckethead. I did like seeing Robin and Brain still in the mix though. Once they left, the lineup became completely downgraded.

They need both "star" guitar player like Slash / Buckethead and low key guitarists like Izzy / Paul. They complement each other similar to the different lead & rhythm sections in AC/DC (just with a little more stage presence for the latter)

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

Just now, GNR 1991 said:

2017 Rio makes me want to give up on the band tbh. 2001 and 1991 are the best. 2006 is worth seeing too, 2011 is dreadful.

I wonder how that cancelled 2004 Rio would've been w Bucket.

Probably similar to the shows from 2002

It isn't really fair to give 2001 good votes just because it has been the first concert of NuGNR (in reality it has been the second I know) - ant therefore the anticipation has been much higher. 

The votes for 2017 would also be much better if it would have been the first concert with Slash & Duff - apart from axls bad voice (which wouldn't have been the case if it would have been the first reunion show)

So it would ony be fair to vote based on musical reasons and there every concert including Axl/Slash/Duff will always be miles ahead of any NuGNR incarnation

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kula2006 said:

So it would ony be fair to vote based on musical reasons and there every concert including Axl/Slash/Duff will always be miles ahead of any NuGNR incarnation

My choice was based on musical reasons and I still voted for the 2001 Show.

Edited by Sosso

10 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Rock in Rio is a great festival that brings 100,000+ fans joy every year. Unfortunately (and sadly fitting) for our band there seems to have been a Rio curse on them. I feel like this could be a great topic of debate, so what do you guys think the best and worst Rock in Rios are?

Rio curse?

GNR performed twice in Rio and I have a hard time trying to think about any show by any band that can be half as good as those two GNR shows in Rio.

Sadly GNR imploded less than a year after the Rio shows.

And never came back.

So I believe there is no curse whatsoever.

On both times GNR performed, it was brilliant

:headbang:

044.jpg

Edited by ludurigan

6 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

1991 was the best, 2017 was the worst. 

For everything that is said about the 2011 performance, I found a handful of songs that I could listen to. There was nothing good about this years gig.

gotta be a true warrior to venture through that and come out alive on the other side with a handful of songs!