Chances of “Free Fallin” live?

A lot of really great potential songs to choose from that Axl could comfortably do well on.  Breakdown, I Won't Back Down, Face in the Crowd, Into the Great Wide Open, Too Much Ain't Enough, Out in the Cold, Refugee, You Don't Know How It Feels, Rebels, Runnin' Down A Dream, a ton of great non hits as well, etc., etc.  Would be cool if Mike Campbell came out to guest on a cover as well.  I mean, Campbell and Slash just going crazy on RDaD would be amazing.

6 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

With all respect to Petty, if GN'R didn't do a Prince tribute, they shouldn't bother with something like Free Falling.

With all due respect to Prince, covering a rock icon like Petty is much more in GnR's and the fanbase's wheelhouse. 

Edited by HuskerTornado

1 hour ago, HuskerTornado said:

Breakdown

Would be ironic if they covered another artists version of a song with the same name as their own...

I'd take a Petty song over any one of the recent covers (ones which GNR hasn't recorded - you know those won't get dropped). Actually, I'd prefer they drop all of them and play 5 straight petty songs lol

Just now, goneshootin said:

Would be ironic if they covered another artists version of a song with the same name as their own...

I'd take a Petty song over any one of the recent covers (ones which GNR hasn't recorded - you know those won't get dropped). Actually, I'd prefer they drop all of them and play 5 straight petty songs lol

Yeah, but they should double down and play both. lol

1 hour ago, JoeyBananaduck said:

All you folks saying 'no more covers!' are well aware of the fact that you are never, ever going to get a new Guns N' Roses song, right? I mean, please tell me some of you aren't still entertaining that delusion? Take what you can get if you still care.

In this case, I think they'll let it slide

Very likely and it will probably be a GNR original that makes way for it.

In spite of the excess of covers, given that Axl once said one of he or Slash will die before they ever reunite, it seems apt that a large part of the Not In This Lifetime tour has ended up being a tribute to the artists who died during it.

First and foremost, RIP Tom Petty. 

In regards to a Tom Petty cover, Square One, from Tom Petty's 2006 solo album Highway Companion (amazing album top to bottom) would be, lyrically, very fitting for Axl to sing, given GNR's history and recent semi reunion. Would never happen, but would be cool. Lyrics...

Had to find some higher ground 
Had some fear to get around 
You can't say what you don't know 
Later on won't work no more

Last time through I hid my tracks 
So well I could not get back 
Yeah my way was hard to find 
Can't sell your soul for piece of mind

Square one, my slate is clear 
Rest your head on me, my dear 
It took a world of trouble, took a world of tears 
Took a long time... to get back here

Try so hard to stand alone 
Struggle to see past my nose 
Always had more dogs than bones 
I could never wear those clothes

It's a dark victory 
You won and you also lost 
Told us you were satisfied 
But it never came across

Square one, my slate is clear 
Rest your head on me, my dear 
It took a world of trouble, took a world of tears 
Took a long time... to get back here

Let them do Running down a dream or into he great wide open. There's no way he will please us if he tries to sing Free falling now, that young throaty / smokey Axl voice is dead and buried in the context of a GNR set. If AC/DC decided to cover Free Falling with Axl I'd love to hear that though ;)

13 hours ago, HuskerTornado said:

A lot of really great potential songs to choose from that Axl could comfortably do well on.  Breakdown, I Won't Back Down, Face in the Crowd, Into the Great Wide Open, Too Much Ain't Enough, Out in the Cold, Refugee, You Don't Know How It Feels, Rebels, Runnin' Down A Dream, a ton of great non hits as well, etc., etc.  Would be cool if Mike Campbell came out to guest on a cover as well.  I mean, Campbell and Slash just going crazy on RDaD would be amazing.

With all due respect to Prince, covering a rock icon like Petty is much more in GnR's and the fanbase's wheelhouse. 

Prince isn't a rock icon? 

You might be right about the fans wanting a petty cover more, but I don't think either Prince or Petty is in the GN'R wheelhouse. They're both artists confined to their sub-genres.

1 minute ago, appetite4illusions said:

I don't think either Prince or Petty is in the GN'R wheelhouse. They're both artists confined to their sub-genres.

Axl would more than likely sell his soul to be a Traveling Wilbury

1 hour ago, appetite4illusions said:

You might be right about the fans wanting a petty cover more, but I don't think either Prince or Petty is in the GN'R wheelhouse. They're both artists confined to their sub-genres.

Axl said himself they didn't do a Prince song because they knew they wouldn't be able to do it justice. Axl can cover Tom Petty and sound good (he knocked Petty outta the park when they performed Free Fallin together back in the day). These days, I'm sure Axl could muster up a satisfactory performance of pretty much any Petty number. Hearing Axl attempt something like Purple Rain, Nothing Compares 2 U or Lets Go Crazy would've been a carcrash. He simply doesn't possess the talent to pull off Prince, vocally.

Edited by Towelie

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Axl said himself they didn't do a Prince song because they knew they wouldn't be able to do it justice. Axl can cover Tom Petty and sound good (he knocked Petty outta the park when they performed Free Fallin together back in the day). These days, I'm sure Axl could muster up a satisfactory performance of pretty much any Petty number. Hearing Axl attempt something like Purple Rain, Nothing Compares 2 U or Lets Go Crazy would've been a carcrash. He simply doesn't possess the talent to pull off Prince, vocally.

Maybe Axl.exe does have some self awareness. :lol:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

As much of Prince's work that I like, he is more pop/funk/r&b.  He had the guitar chops to make some outstanding rock records, but never really realized it.  He'd tease it every so often.

Anyway, I don't need to hear Axl singing Raspberry Beret...

As for sub genres, I don't think Petty, Prince, or GnR are confined to a single sub-genre.

9 hours ago, Gackt said:

Axl would more than likely sell his soul to be a Traveling Wilbury

Who wouldn't?  heh

8 hours ago, Towelie said:

I wouldn't say it is talent, just a different style, but of course Axl's vox have diminished after years of hard singing on them.  I just can't really think of a Prince song I'd want to hear GnR play.

8 hours ago, Towelie said:

Hearing Axl attempt something like Purple Rain, Nothing Compares 2 U or Lets Go Crazy would've been a carcrash. He simply doesn't possess the talent to pull off Prince, vocally.

I think this is the wrong way to state it. Not many have/had the vocal talent and range of W. Axl Rose. It's not a talent issue at all, but rather a style/genre issue. Luciano Pavarotti had one of the best male voices of all time. But he wouldn't be a good fit to sing a Guns N' Roses song. So, again, it's not about talent. It's a style/genre thing.

Having said that, it's not like Purple Rain is vocally challenging at all. I think a lot of vocalists could sing that one, but if it doesn't sound like Prince it's just not the same.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Towelie said:

give bambi to axl rose any day of the week 1985-1991 and he would outdo prince in the first try

slash (and steven and izzy and duff) could do an awesome job on this one as well

very rocking song

prince sounds a bit like clean axl voice on this live version or am i crazy?

7 hours ago, thunderram said:

I think this is the wrong way to state it. Not many have/had the vocal talent and range of W. Axl Rose. It's not a talent issue at all, but rather a style/genre issue. Luciano Pavarotti had one of the best male voices of all time. But he wouldn't be a good fit to sing a Guns N' Roses song. So, again, it's not about talent. It's a style/genre thing.

Having said that, it's not like Purple Rain is vocally challenging at all. I think a lot of vocalists could sing that one, but if it doesn't sound like Prince it's just not the same.

Those end falsetto bits ("hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo") are incredibly high. I've heard a number of professional singers cover Purple Rain and botch that bit up.