Has the consensus on Chinese changed since the NITL tour started?

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

He was great live, too

I was a huge fan of Ron in the band. He did some cool solos on Don't Cry with Axl singing in 2007

Buckethead, Robin, Slash and Richard are my favourite guitarists in GN'R. Bumblefoot deserves a honorable mention though. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

NITL was my introduction to CD, I've listened to the album 3 times now and am still not liking it. I have given up (for the time being) trying to get into it. Maybe it's an age thing? maybe the CD enthusiasts are younger and not around in the AFD days? i dunno. It's a no from me but each to their own :shrugs: 

I bought CD on the day of release and have given it multiple listens over the years and still dont like it.

I would rate any of the other members solos or group albums over CD. 

• Like 3

Just now, Sosso said:

Buckethead, Robin, Slash and Richard are my favourite guitarists in GN'R. Bumblefoot deserves a honorable mention though. 

For me Slash and Izzy are THE GNR guitarists, but that doesn't mean I don't live a lot of the 2001-2014 members. Robin, Bucket, Ron, and Richard are all great

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

For me Slash and Izzy are THE GNR guitarists, but that doesn't mean I don't live a lot of the 2001-2014 members. Robin, Bucket, Ron, and Richard are all great

I was a huge Izzy fan in 2006. He was the only one from the ex-members who played at concerts from both Guns N' Roses / Velvet Revolver. 

Personally it doesn’t change anything for me , I still don’t like CD songs. Even Slash playing them can’t change my mind. Given how many more people attend GNR shows now compared to nuguns then you can say most of the people there don’t or didn’t give a shit about Axl and the nuguns era. Most of the casual fans are there for the hits and to hear songs from the more famous shows like Tokyo dvd or Paris ppv. Don’t get me wrong I can see why Slash would want to learn CD songs as he was the only one in the line up ( before Pitman got fired ) who didn’t know CD songs and probably wanted to respect Axl and his work by learning them 

IMO i think if it was a full reunion with Izzy and Adler then I don’t think there would’ve been any CD songs in the setlist  or maybe one or two

Edited by Gold top 78
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Derick said:

, the band just disappeared right after the release, no videos, no interviews, nothing!

Axl came to the forum because Best Buy bottomed out on the promotion apparently. As for the videos, Axl said one would be coming out "next week" (9 years ago in December)

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Nah. Illusion 2 was a better Axl solo record.

I think your liking of Chinese probably rests on how much you liked the direction Use Your Illusion II was going ;)

Not a bad assessment once I thought about it. I have been a fan of GnR since day 1 but love both the Illusions albums. Of course I'm a fan of albums that can hit every mood or serve more than one purpose. I'm likely not getting my point across with that last line I'm tired lol. I guess I'm a fan of artists who have a broader talent so to speak. I enjoy most of the CD songs. There are a few songs that were like "eh their not bad" but most I like.

I don't see Illusions as a solo either.It's like trying to say the ballads were all Axl solos yet GnR became very popular because of them. Most of the band didn't want to do those ballads yet they are a huge part of GnR. Rather people like it or not CD is GnR.

As far as CD goes when I was in Cleveland the other day the crowd was excited and singing along and dancing to the songs played. I didn't really see too many acting like they had no idea what it was. 

Something a little odd though that I never thought about was my boyfriend is more into heavy metal but I'd consider him a casual fan by what most deem casual and he thought the CD songs were heavier and really enjoyed them. In fact, after I bought him his very own copy of the CD at the HOF. They had only 1 copy left. They said they stocked up on cds by GnR knowing they would sale with GnR in town. I also picked up another copy of Appetite which left 1 copy left, Illusions 1 was sold out and Illusions 2 and Lies had 2 copies left each. Spaghetti had 3. So many GnF fans were walking around the Hall of Fame.

I also don't think that basing albums sales is a good indicator because most people these days stream music. I looked at my boyfriend like he grew ten heads when he told me he could just add them to his playlist. I told him that's fine but he needs proper albums now as well. 

I also don't understand why fans would expect a band not to play newer music and only older music. I also have seen many fans on this forum say that they prefer the original versions of some CD songs rather than Slash's takes TIL being a good example of that.

I also believe no matter if the band broke up or not we would have gotten some of the songs on CD either way. Many fans seem excited on here to see CD songs played. On each thread they are wondering which CD songs are gonna be played.

I spoke to a few fans in line one in particular who has been to just about every GnR performance within a couple hundred miles since day 1 and he said he liked CD as well. They wanted to hear Street of Dreams and said it would be a dream come true if they did. They wanted The Seeker cut and more CD songs added or Appetite songs added.

The guy next to me was a different case. He first heard GnR when he heard Chinese and went and bought the album and he was a fan of Slash's from velvet Revolver. He said he went out after hearing Chinese and bought the rest of the CD's then bought the books to find out why they broke up. Now He has his two favorites together Slash and Axl but doesn't like all of Slash's renditions of the Chinese songs. His mom said it's GnR 24/7 in their house. There was a 13 year old cancer patient who only wanted to see her favorite singer ever Axl sing with her favorite band GnR. Listening to the different fans tell their journeys about how they became fans while waiting in line or for the band to come on was awesome.

Anyway I think that there is definitely reason to play CD songs and I think that people enjoy them. This I love and Better are both played on the radio stations here regularly now. I also think many forget there are so many fans that aren't on forums that aren't just casual fans.

I'm not sure if I agree with my boyfriend's assessment on CD yet about it sounding more heavier overall.

3 hours ago, BooO said:

When I became a fan of Gn'R of course SCOM was the first song I heard, but, as soon as I listened to Chinese, it turned out to be my favorite album of the band, and it'll always be. I don't care if people dislike it, because most of 'em just hate Chinese 'cause of the formation and shit like that, and hadn't really gave this masterpiece a chance.

give peace the masterpiece a chance!

:rofl-lol:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BooO said:

An Axl Rose album better than all the albums of Guns N' Roses together.

wow, what a week! we had ritz 1987 and now this?! do you have any more uncirculated information to share? would you trade, or sell? please? i love guns n roses and i really like when never-before-heard-nor-imagined info like this surfaces!

Just now, ludurigan said:

wow, what a week! we had ritz 1987 and now this?! do you have any more uncirculated information to share? would you trade, or sell? please? i love guns n roses and i really like when never-before-heard-nor-imagined info like this surfaces!

You're so funny. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Look forward to looking through this thread tomorrow but the album is still dog shit... The fact that they are playing 5 songs now is very disappointing/ disheartening.. A couple songs is bearable but the fact that the only songs they switch up or put any effort into learning are CD songs is perplexing to say the least..Look forward to looking through this thread tomorrow but the album is still dog shit... The fact that they are playing 5 songs now is very disappointing/ disheartening.. A couple songs is bearable but the fact that the only songs they switch up or put any effort into learning are CD songs is perplexing to say the least..

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Look forward to looking through this thread tomorrow but the album is still dog shit... The fact that they are playing 5 songs now is very disappointing/ disheartening.. A couple songs is bearable but the fact that the only songs they switch up or put any effort into learning are CD songs is perplexing to say the least..Look forward to looking through this thread tomorrow but the album is still dog shit... The fact that they are playing 5 songs now is very disappointing/ disheartening.. A couple songs is bearable but the fact that the only songs they switch up or put any effort into learning are CD songs is perplexing to say the least..

Let's hope that they will play six CD songs at the next concert

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Respect your opinion but I was curious, what do you in particular think is the reason they keep adding more CD songs?

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Concensus from who? 

From what I can tell both casuals and hard cores opinions haven't changed because of the CD songs inclusion on this tour 

What kind of reaction would we have from casuals and hard cores if from now on they play WTTJ, SCOM, PC, all CD songs and covers/jams? Would those shows still be sold out?

The ones that kept the faith during the newgnr era will no doubt appreciate Chinese songs in the repertoire while the ones who hate Chinese will presumably still hate Chinese and find their inclusion into the set a gross imposition. These two groups represent a minority. The vast majority of the crowd will be ignorant of what songs they are witnessing when the band play Chinese stuff but will probably endure them stoically until the band summon up a rendition of 'Sweet Child' or 'November Rain' - they are probably equally as nonplussed during 'Coma' to be fair.

• Like 2

On 28-10-2017 at 6:15 AM, RONIN said:

"So why are GN’R even bothering with these tracks?''

Because they like them? They have fun playing them? It's a pretty punk rock move to play songs the majority of the audience isn't waiting for.

6 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Respect your opinion but I was curious, what do you in particular think is the reason they keep adding more CD songs?

everybody wants to please axl so they can keep on touring forever and sharing the loot forever

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The ones that kept the faith during the newgnr era will no doubt appreciate Chinese songs in the repertoire while the ones who hate Chinese will presumably still hate Chinese and find their inclusion into the set a gross imposition. These two groups represent a minority. The vast majority of the crowd will be ignorant of what songs they are witnessing when the band play Chinese stuff but will probably endure them stoically until the band summon up a rendition of 'Sweet Child' or 'November Rain' - they are probably equally as nonplussed during 'Coma' to be fair.

exactly

6 hours ago, Padme said:

What kind of reaction would we have from casuals and hard cores if from now on they play WTTJ, SCOM, PC, all CD songs and covers/jams? Would those shows still be sold out?

Huh? I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

9 hours ago, Sosso said:

Let's hope that they will play six CD songs at the next concert

Let's ope my show is behind me.. Doesn't much matter anymore.. Band is what it is at this point...

9 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

To appease Axl 

I have been one of the biggest critics of CHINESE DEMOCRACY = After seeing SLASH rip on Better, Chinese Democracy , This I love and Sorry I really like those numbers  a lot better now! The other numbers I don't like at all , I still don't like the direction of the album at all , IRS with Slash would be fun and Shacklers may get my attention a little , but Prostitute , Madagascar, twat do nothing for me at all , never have , never will