Rumor of a new album???

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, that was something to read!  Or also put this way: Nick Mason, the only Pink Floyd Member to play on every album, is still alive.  And he openly desires a Pink Floyd tour, with or without Roger.

But its not them

I know we haven't heard much from Nick for a while but that was very harsh! :lol: I'm pretty confident he's still alive and kicking.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Maybe we're coming at this from completely different worldviews.  I've never heard a GNR song played in a club in my life (though I would love that).  Neither a Fleetwood Mac song mind you. lol  But I have heard LOTS of Fleetwood Mac songs played on radio stations of all kinds - never heard Guns on the radio in the past decade or more.  People in general would name drop Fleetwood Mac over the years because they've toured and people have gone to see them.  I've never heard anyone mention GNR until recently.  

I don't disagree what the brand GNR stands for - I think we all agree on that!  I'm simply making the point that GNR dropped off the mainstream radar for a good long while.  The Fleetwood Mac name didn't.

Uhm... have you ever listened to the radio? GnR hits are played daily over every single rock and classic rock station.., sweet child and paradise city are played on the classics stations too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Underhardy said:

Uhm... have you ever listened to the radio? GnR hits are played daily over every single rock and classic rock station.., sweet child and paradise city are played on the classics stations too. 

Not in UK on the mainstream radio. You only hear them on classic rock stations but Fleetwood Mac have always been played on mainstream radio.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Here is one of my problems with it being Guns,

Does that sound like Rose?

No, but it does sound exactly like a set of conditions you'd put to a band notorious for screwing up - who have proven they can behave on the road but have yet to prove they can behave in the studio.  It may be that handing creative control over to a producer is the only way for GNR to move forward. 

For me the key phrase is this one: Apparently all that recent concert money they've recently earned has reminded them they were once that good. 

This is Guns all over.  Duff has alluded to this in his podcast with Jericho.  Slash said something similar about being pleased they were so well received.  I think they all really enjoyed the attention again and want that to continue.

It's worth bearing in mind too, that 'creative control' doesn't necessarily mean the band have zero say.  Any self-respecting producer will want to get the best out of the band, keep things harmonious and creatively stimulating and make sure that the process is a collaborative one, as it's supposed to be.  If the producer is someone Axl, Slash and Duff trust, then maybe it's not such a massive decision for them?

4 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

No, but it does sound exactly like a set of conditions you'd put to a band notorious for screwing up - who have proven they can behave on the road but have yet to prove they can behave in the studio.  It may be that handing creative control over to a producer is the only way for GNR to move forward. 

For me the key phrase is this one: Apparently all that recent concert money they've recently earned has reminded them they were once that good. 

This is Guns all over.  Duff has alluded to this in his podcast with Jericho.  Slash said something similar about being pleased they were so well received.  I think they all really enjoyed the attention again and want that to continue.

It's worth bearing in mind too, that 'creative control' doesn't necessarily mean the band have zero say.  Any self-respecting producer will want to get the best out of the band, keep things harmonious and creatively stimulating and make sure that the process is a collaborative one, as it's supposed to be.  If the producer is someone Axl, Slash and Duff trust, then maybe it's not such a massive decision for them?

I cannot see Rose agree to that. If true, this would be a Road of Damascus conversion indeed.

PS

Maybe it is Abba. So you do not think Abba are an a-list rock band?

• Like 1

The producer stipulations are indeed jarring to read on paper.  At the same time Nigel Goodrich famously rejected Paul McCartneys demo submissions three-times-over before accepting to work on the material.  Goodrich also heavily edited Roger Waters submissions for his recent album.  Corgan admits he needed to bring in a heavy like Rubin to tell him when he's wrong on his latest solo album.  I think many mature artists become open to an outside, dissenting voice at a later point in their career.  

And if Guns indeed has no label, that means no exec and no A&R carrying out the role of editor.

If it was hard for Axl to accept the terms (not at all convinced it would be actually), its also a positive for him in that Axl used to be the one to reject and dissect Izzy and Slash's riffs.  Now the producer could be the one to make them grind, leaving the current good vibes in place for the band..  Axls priority is always to be pushed by the material.

And if you could sing like Axl Rose would you fear a producer?  C'mon!

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Maybe it is Abba. So you do not think Abba are an a-list rock band?

I bloody love ABBA.  But no. It's not ABBA.  Mind you, any new album from those guys would sell a gazillion albums the world over.

I cannot see Rose agree to that. If true, this would be a Road of Damascus conversion indeed.

Well maybe they promised him a lifetime's supply of Arnie's pizza if he agreed. :lol:

1 minute ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I bloody love ABBA.  But no. It's not ABBA.  Mind you, any new album from those guys would sell a gazillion albums the world over.

Well maybe they promised him a lifetime's supply of Arnie's pizza if he agreed. :lol:

An Abba reunion would actually be bigger than a Zeppelin tour and both would be bigger than Guns. I cannot conceive of a bigger thing than Abba reuniting, unless John Lennon and George Harrison were brought back to life. The four of them are really not motivated by cash to constantly turn it down. I think it has been Agnetha who has been the most opposed. The two blokes probably would've done it ten years ago. 

2 minutes ago, soon said:

The producer stipulations are indeed jarring to read on paper.  At the same time Nigel Goodrich famously rejected Paul McCartneys demo submissions three-times-over before accepting to work on the material.  Goodrich also heavily edited Roger Waters submissions for his recent album.  Corgan admits he needed to bring in a heavy like Rubin to tell him when he's wrong on his latest solo album.  I think many mature artists become open to an outside, dissenting voice at a later point in their career.  

And if Guns indeed has no label, that means no exec and no A&R carrying out the role of editor.

If it was hard for Axl to accept the terms (not at all convinced it would be actually), its also a positive for him in that Axl used to be the one to reject and dissect Izzy and Slash's riffs.  Now the producer could be the one to make them grind, leaving the current good vibes in place for the band..  Axls priority is always to be pushed by the material.

And if you could sing like Axl Rose would you fear a producer?  C'mon!

In a way I think such move would be brilliant. It would free them once and for all from the problem of Axl having to decide which riff to reject and Slash telling Axl these lyrics are shit or whatever. Neither of them would have that task that could so easily make things sour between them again. That way Slash may consider Axl's song a piece of shit and still keep saying it is very good, God only really knows why the guy doesn't like it, lol.

Anyway, weird as it may seem at first, I can see them making that decision just to be sure that the work on the album won't ruin what they so miraculously managed to rebuild. I think it is a good move, on condition they find someone reasonable to be that producer.

Also I think we need to understand it with some restrictions. In reality I don't think it would go that far that if the whole band wants a certain song badly  the producer can say no or whatever. It would prbably be limited to situations where they're not single-minded or something.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

An Abba reunion would actually be bigger than a Zeppelin tour and both would be bigger than Guns. I cannot conceive of a bigger thing than Abba reuniting, unless John Lennon and George Harrison were brought back to life. The four of them are really not motivated by cash to constantly turn it down. I think it has been Agnetha who has been the most opposed. The two blokes probably would've done it ten years ago. 

Since when is Abba a rock band though?

• Like 1

Control to the producer in GNR situation just means a mediator between Axl and the rest of the band.  I am sure Slash and Duff have no desire to record an album that takes 15 years to complete ( CD ), and this was part of the agreement they had.

And Axl who is mature enough now, and smart enough to evolve, agreed to this.  Just like he agreed to show up on stage on time EVERY SINGLE show this last 2 years.  That stipulation just forces them to work together as a group and not allow Axl to over obsess for years and years.  If you really think the band doesn't have the final say on what goes on, you are clearly misinformed on how the GNR machine works.  If another person references Axl as the same person he was while making CD, i seriously might just kill myself. 

1 hour ago, Underhardy said:

You hear a lot of GnR on the radio around here.

They play the shit out of Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City, KOHD, YCBM, November Rain and Civil War.

You hear Patience and Don't Cry quite a bit..

It isn't uncommon to hear Nightrain, Brownstone, My Michelle and Used To Love Her and even Rocket Queen from time to time.

Hell, they even play Chinese Democracy songs once in awhile.. Actually wait. They never play Chinese Democracy...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

You hear a lot of GnR on the radio around here.

They play the shit out of Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City, KOHD, YCBM, November Rain and Civil War.

You hear Patience and Don't Cry quite a bit..

Here too, there's a lot of GnR on mainstream radio, even songs that weren't big hits like Yesterdays are played every now and then, and when you turn to the more rock stations you will obviously hear even more GnR.

• Like 2

It took Rose about ten years to make Chinese Democracy, and even then he wanted to delay the thing further as he ''didn't like the artwork''. It took Rose about twenty months to finish IllusionNot In This Lifetime tour - N.b., the tour's name - commences 3rd June 2018. Are we expected to believe they will have produced an album in about six months time? 

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

first thing that came to mind for me when i read that according to ONE member that "no more half-hearted collaborative efforts" was slash & friends

Yep, I thought that too.   Or a reference to the various side projects, which suddenly seem to be not quite so important?

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle