The future for Guns?

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

metallica is over imo, they have nothing to say artistically speaking. they got big with the black album and never made a truly great album ever since. i don't even like the black album but at least it was inspired. death magnetic was a look in the past, a rehash and not as good as the albums it was influenced by which are metallica albums. hardwired is weak and uninspired.

Agreed. I'm only listening to the first four albums anyway. The $5.98 EP and S&M are also worth listening to.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Guns N' Roses doing a political album wouldn't work.  Even if Trump gets a second term, he'll be out of office long before they get it released anyway.

I don't think they would ever release a political album. However, I can see them doing a song.  I'm sure that IF the idiot gets a second term, it'll come out during this time.  I'm just commenting on the guy who complained, though. That's all.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

2 albums? 2 albums is a lot. I would be surprised and delighted. very surprised. I don't know if axl is capable of that. also, even just one more guns album is not a sure thing but my guess is axl will at least try to make one with slash, duff, and this line up. I think that if axl thinks it's good enough and it's a finished work, he'll release it.

at best it would probably be an ac/dc and a guns album. 2 albums featuring axl. could be worse, i'll take that if it happens.

axl should probably release a double album with guns.

I agree. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I don't think they would ever release a political album. However, I can see them doing a song.  I'm sure that IF the idiot gets a second term, it'll come out during this time.  I'm just commenting on the guy who complained, though. That's all.

Chinese Democracy?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Chinese Democracy?

46 minutes ago, Rovim said:

not a political album

I think I can see where both of you are coming from here.

To me its a political album and I believe Axl meant to make a political album, at least in part. Also the tracks left off the album might point in that direction with Atlas Shrugged being named after an Ayn Rand novel and another track called The General.

But I get how for some the definition of a political album would be where on every track issues are very clearly narrated and then demands are made for change or the masses are called to act ("Fight the power! Fight the powers that be!!"). What makes Axls approach not really fit that category is that he often approaches the subject matter in a less direct manner, with a more poetic approach to communicating the issues. And he often seems to use one lyric to explore two themes, but using the same points of reference. Read has the two in one theme for example; Riad is crazy for being an arms dealer and Axl is crazy... but whats the connection? 

If artists are being honest, political and social issues can never be completely avoided, imo. And musicology explores how even instrumental music can be deeply political. But it wouldnt be accurate to say that all albums are political because of these facts. So I dunno, I think either label could be fair enough, but heres some content that speaks to me as 'political music'

- The title tracks name makes a political statement. And in the lyrics it speaks against tyranny. It calls out the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners. And it ties that to the end of the regime "they've seen the end and you cant hold on now."

- Shacklers raises concern about gun culture (mostly US). And seems to challenge the medias approach to coverage of rampage violence.

- Catcher ties in the recurrent album theme's of celebrity, wealth and greed with gun violence. And the way that modern society is loosing a sense of the importance of culture - artists are celebrities and celebrities are meat to be consumed or thrown away. "All at once, the song I heard/ No longer would it play"

- Riad is about a war monger. But the exact comment or opinion being shared isnt clear to me, as is often the case with Axl.

- Then theres a few odds and ends like in Scrapped feeling that society is structured to keep free thinkers oppressed and with out a voice. Or themes imagining new societal structures in the future run through ITW. 

• Like 3

Just now, soon said:

I think I can see where both of you are coming from here.

To me its a political album and I believe Axl meant to make a political album, at least in part. Also the tracks left off the album might point in that direction with Atlas Shrugged being named after an Ayn Rand novel and another track called The General.

But I get how for some the definition of a political album would be where on every track issues are very clearly narrated and then demands are made for change or the masses are called to act ("Fight the power! Fight the powers that be!!"). What makes Axls approach not really fit that category is that he often approaches the subject matter in a less direct manner, with a more poetic approach to communicating the issues. And he often seems to use one lyric to explore two themes, but using the same points of reference. Read has the two in one theme for example; Riad is crazy for being an arms dealer and Axl is crazy... but whats the connection? 

If artists are being honest, political and social issues can never be completely avoided, imo. And musicology explores how even instrumental music can be deeply political. But it wouldnt be accurate to say that all albums are political because of these facts. So I dunno, I think either label could be fair enough, but heres some content that speaks to me as 'political music'

- The title tracks name makes a political statement. And in the lyrics it speaks against tyranny. It calls out the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners. And it ties that to the end of the regime "they've seen the end and you cant hold on now."

- Shacklers raises concern about gun culture (mostly US). And seems to challenge the medias approach to coverage of rampage violence.

- Catcher ties in the recurrent album theme's of celebrity, wealth and greed with gun violence. And the way that modern society is loosing a sense of the importance of culture - artists are celebrities and celebrities are meat to be consumed or thrown away. "All at once, the song I heard/ No longer would it play"

- Riad is about a war monger. But the exact comment or opinion being shared isnt clear to me, as is often the case with Axl.

- Then theres a few odds and ends like in Scrapped feeling that society is structured to keep free thinkers oppressed and with out a voice. Or themes imagining new societal structures in the future run through ITW. 

If the World is about a dark and dystopian future, where the environment has been destroyed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sosso said:

If the World is about a dark and dystopian future, where the environment has been destroyed.

Very true. Thanks for flagging that. My pre-coffee morning brain went on auto pilot by the end of my post, lol

Edited by soon

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

metallica is over imo, they have nothing to say artistically speaking. they got big with the black album and never made a truly great album ever since. i don't even like the black album but at least it was inspired. death magnetic was a look in the past, a rehash and not as good as the albums it was influenced by which are metallica albums. hardwired is weak and uninspired.

Same thing most of the people said about CD

If these guys make a  a new record and its named CD 2 is going to fail harder than CD 1.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

consistently release shit music every 8 years

your opinion its shit but many disagree...hardwired is one of their best albums in a long time....and thats the thing ...bands NEED to  release new music in order to grow and see what works and what doesnt.....gnr stopped growing a looooong time ago. and its a damn shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guitarist1234 said:

your opinion its shit but many disagree...hardwired is one of their best albums in a long time....and thats the thing ...bands NEED to  release new music in order to grow and see what works and what doesnt.....gnr stopped growing a looooong time ago. and its a damn shame.

It's their only album in a long time. It's a very boring album that sounds like they recorded it because they had to. If Metallica is as great and creative as you say, they should've put out a masterpiece after 8 years. They're a rich nostalgia act like every other band from their era and before...and that's ok because it eventually happens to all of them.

Yes, Metallica is a rich legacy act now but they are WAY more productive than GNR. In the 8 year gap between Death Magnetic and Hardwired they put together a festival, put out an EP, did a collaboration album (They still did it even if its horrible), released a feature movie, put out tons of live DVDs, did a set of anniversary shows with Jason, and more. Hardwired was pretty good to boot, too 

• Like 3

Death Magnetic was Metallica's return to form after years of following the current musical trends (plus whatever you want to call the debacles that were St. Anger and the Lou Reed album). Is it or Hardwired a masterpiece like their 1st three albums? Nope. But they're better than anything GnR has released since the 90s. And yes, I do really like most of CD. Why some on this forum feel the need to talk crap about other bands, when GnR has has been a clusterfuck for the last 25 years, I just don't understand. 

Honestly, I think we should all be happy that these three finally got back together and are giving the majority of fans what they've been waiting for.

Now, if Axl could only get Izzy back for some songwriting...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoBucky said:

It's their only album in a long time. It's a very boring album that sounds like they recorded it because they had to. If Metallica is as great and creative as you say, they should've put out a masterpiece after 8 years. They're a rich nostalgia act like every other band from their era and before...and that's ok because it eventually happens to all of them.

I'm with @Guitarist1234 on this one. Aside from a couple songs I haven't really liked anything Metallica has released since the Black Album (And I don't like that much anymore). I had given up on them but I actually really liked Hardwired. A lot.. It wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed it and thought 9 out of the 12 songs were pretty damn solid.

8 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yes, Metallica is a rich legacy act now but they are WAY more productive than GNR. In the 8 year gap between Death Magnetic and Hardwired they put together a festival, put out an EP, did a collaboration album (They still did it even if its horrible), released a feature movie, put out tons of live DVDs, did a set of anniversary shows with Jason, and more. Hardwired was pretty good to boot, too 

Anniversary with Dave fucking Mustaine ta boot! 

I actually drove to Jersey for their first Orion Festival.. Probably the coolest festival I have ever been to. They did it absolutely right in every way.  I heard the second didn't go over quite so good or at least they just lost money..

6 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Now, if Axl could only get Izzy back for some songwriting...

This

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I'm with @Guitarist1234 on this one. Aside from a couple songs I haven't really liked anything Metallica has released since the Black Album (And I don't like that much anymore). I had given up on them but I actually really liked Hardwired. A lot.. It wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed it and thought 9 out of the 12 songs were pretty damn solid.

I actually think Hardwired is their best album since Justice (Imo their best album). I thought the lead single was actually one of the weakest songs on the album, even though I really liked it when it came out. 

I really think that having Slash and Duff do some parts on songs Axl has already written would be good. I don’t think they should do an album entirely of Axl songs though. There could easily be some songs that Slash and Duff could write and have Axl put the lyrics on. Slash and Duff wrote a lot of material for VR (which had two of my all time favorite albums) and I think they came up with enough ideas on the NITL tour to be able to do it again.

• Like 1

GNR with Axl, Slash, Duff are not going to ever release new material.  They reunited, rocked the world, made a huge stash of cash....now back to their regular programming.  Slash with Myles....Axl with Angus.....Duff n Loaded.

Maybe they will tour again together in a couple of years.  Only time will tell.  

The real question is will they ever share the loot with Izzy and Steve.  Not In This Lifetime.

I just love when people on GNR forum label Metallica (or any other band in the world) as done, nostalgia act, finished, uninspired...

Yep - Metallica never done album as great as Ride The Lighting (IMO) but GNR never done album as good as AFD... but Metallica did a lot of good, great things AFTER first 3 albums, and they tried some things that didn't work - but they are not cover band of themselves from 80s...

Their latest playlist had 5-7 NEW songs (original, not covers) every night... And yes - HTSD is the best new album I heard in last 10 years...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

I just love when people on GNR forum label Metallica (or any other band in the world) as done, nostalgia act, finished, uninspired...

Yep - Metallica never done album as great as Ride The Lighting (IMO) but GNR never done album as good as AFD... but Metallica did a lot of good, great things AFTER first 3 albums, and they tried some things that didn't work - but they are not cover band of themselves from 80s...

Their latest playlist had 5-7 NEW songs (original, not covers) every night... And yes - HTSD is the best new album I heard in last 10 years...

Slash and Duff do it as well.  Their music might not be as good as peak Guns but there are still lots of good songs there.

No new music is only an Axl thing.  Its the reason he lost so many musicians over the years.

Completely agree though, its ridiculous when people try to say that Stones, ACDC, metallica never put new music out.  They have and they do.

• Like 1