GNR jumped the dolphin (finally)

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I would extend to argument to people who spend their time being negative on a football forum for a team they stopped caring about in 2012, too.

It isn't that I completely stopped caring - obviously my opinion about the old era remains unaltered - more that I slipped into an impassive surveyor of comedy, soap opera. The thing is, Guns N' Roses are not a functional band. The notion of buying an album and dissecting the new material, forming a judgement what I do with every other band, is a notion as ridiculous as the Abominable Snowman and Nessy dropping-by and saying ''hello''.

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I would extend to argument to people who spend their time being negative on a football forum for a team they stopped caring about in 2012, too.

The difference is GNR’s success is based on not releasing mediocre albums, whereas football teams that lose just aren’t winning. Possibly we got 1 solid album in CD but could have got 3 with best of CD spread across them. 

CD 1 - Chi dem, The Blues, Madagascar

CD 2 - Better, Twat, Catcher

CD 3 - Shackler’s, Sorry, TIL

Same can apply to AFD, singles like Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City

but also

Easy, Brownstone, Nightrain were singles or classics

My Michelle, Out ta get me, Rocket Queen

It’s just a different approach to having impact or success. A lot bands could learn from GNR. 

Edited by wasted

isFHHvbh.png

For me they first jumped the dolphin with the suggestion that we would want to dress up like the Captain of GNAIR (mouth-puked from the cringe just writing that). With this photo stuff its like an Evel Knievel stunt with 50 dolphins lined up to be jumped!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think some are pretty naive to think that the parties involved weren’t going to capitalize on the renewed interest in the band. Especially in this modern music business environment. No one is going to run things like it were 1988, 1993 or even 2008. It’s not feasible. 

That doesn’t mean I necessarily agree or like the direction some of this has gone. Is GNRAir tacky? You bet. Is a targeted email from UMG to people who purchased an item unexpected in 2018? Absolutely not. Could it have been worded better? Definitely, yes. 

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

How he could not be negative? Maybe he can't? Maybe it is some serious personality flaw? How would I know? But I know that I personally don't get all up in arms about the brand GN'R trying to squeeze the lemon, and I wouldn't be upset if someone actually thought it was good that the brand now has started with tiered marketing towards various consumer demographics to earn as much money as possible. I wouldn't personally agree (I find it kind of ruthless and I don't particularly like the mix of art and business), but I certainly wouldn't go so far as to imply that there is only one valid emotional response to it, which you just did. 

But the wider question is not whether it is okay to be negative (or positive), because the answer is obviously "Yes!!", but whether people who are negative should always express that negativity. What good comes from that? Is it conducive to a good discussion environment? You will probably say -- since you have done before -- that they are just being fans that care about the band. They sort of hate because they love. But Diesel has already admitted he stopped caring in 2012 and is here now just for the shits and giggles, so I don't think it really applies to him. It applies to some, many, yes, but not all, and it must be possible to distinguish between someone who is genuinely upset because he really cares from someone who just are having fun ("more fun than anyone") by being negative monomanics on a fan forum. 

That's what I was saying about perception yesterday though. So let's take for granted that Diesel is just negative about GN'R and he's always going to be. Why zero in and pay attention to him then? There's an ignore function and there's also the ability to scroll on by his posts. I should also stress that I don't have a horse in this race. I'm not protecting or defending Diesel himself really, I'm just defending the idea that people can express their opinions here whether they're negative or positive.

• Like 3

The idea of homogenizing this forum opinions that some users are suggesting here is.... so dangerous.... just like picking on a forum member to present him as pure negativity.

The great thing about this forum is that we have so many great characters that you can easily distinguish from each other. If the forum was going to lose that, if the forum was going to lose @DieselDaisy or any of the old timers, that'd be devastating and it would certainly decrease the value of this community.

How can anyone take Diesel so seriously is beyond my comprehension. The guy is clearly being sarcastic most of the time and he's got a particular kind of humor that enriches his character even more!

Calling him "negative" in the strict sense of the word is being negative yourself. It's approaching his posts from a particular perspective that might be coming from somewhere else, not necessarily Diesel being negative.

I dont like this calling out on members publicly because now that's negative! It is putting them under an inquisitive light where the person has to defend themselves for being who they are (or the way they want to portray themselves) and that shouldn't happen! If you love Guns N' Roses so much, then live and let die!

People who tell other people how to live their fandom, how to express themselves, how to react to the band news (or non-news) and events, are just trying to impose their authoritarian ways and that can never be good for any forum!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 2

Russ and I used to get into it all the time about Robin.  ALL THE TIME.  Hate might be a strong word, but we definitely didn't get along.  Now he's probably my best friend on the forums and we've both helped each other out in real life way more than online.  People change over time.  Situations change over time.  I was probably one of the most negative posters out there for a long time.  I'm not exactly Mr. Positivity now, but I see things through a different lens than I used to.  Fluid is a good word to describe the GnR world; yet the more things change, the more they stay the same too.  It's really hard to not understand why someone can feel the way they do about any given situation.

That said though (no matter what Russ thinks), Robin still sucked at playing the classics though...at least until 2006ish.  :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's what I was saying about perception yesterday though. So let's take for granted that Diesel is just negative about GN'R and he's always going to be. Why zero in and pay attention to him then? There's an ignore function and there's also the ability to scroll on by his posts. I should also stress that I don't have a horse in this race. I'm not protecting or defending Diesel himself really, I'm just defending the idea that people can express their opinions here whether they're negative or positive.

Yes, of course, why ever react on someone's posts, when you can just ignore or let it be? 

Have anyone said that they are against the right to post negative posts? Nope.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, uhm, I don't think anyone has expressed such a desire. It is more about pointing out that people are trolls just hanging out on a forum for band they lost interest in years ago to post negative posts for the shits and giggles, and not arguing for their removal. Like a spade is a spade, you know? Personally, I would hate it if Diesel left, because he is usually quite entertaining in the non-GN'R sections, both funny and knowledgeable and I try to learn better English from him. Here, in the GN'R section, he is more of a broken record that rarely contributes anything but negative noise.

Come think of it, I don't think there is ANYONE on this forum that I think doesn't deserve to be here. And that's a credit to the admins and mods; they have managed to create the best version of mygnrforum that has ever been.

The problem with the fan base (which goes beyond this forum) is all the drama we generate :D No wonder the band shies away from us. Just take the current sad situation with YT takedown. We overreact. And then the mood of the forum takes a turn for the worse (NOT saying it isn't sad, just that we take it a bit too far). Rarely do we in a correlative sense react as well when positive things happens, or if we do it is shortlived, while grudges and disappointed lingers as if it is the default state. We are MUCH more likely to complain than to cheer. Just look at the cold fact: Slashs and Duff is back in the band, a scenario that only existed in the wet dreams of many fans. They played Slither. They played SOYL. Slash recently said the whole band is thinking about releasing new music. And where is the people going apeshit about this? They are here, then they are drowned out in negativity. The noise static cancels the signals. Where are people posting thread after thread of celebration? Hell, GN'R in 2018 are active with Axl, Slash and Duff and consider making new music? Am I the only one who are able to see this in any historic perspective? We tend to harp on the negatives. Again, NOT saying the negatives are negligible or shouldn't be part of our discourse -- they are many and serious enough. Just that things aren't in relation to each other. We complain, complain, complain. And we do tend to take ourselves way too seriously, as in "why don't the band listen more to us? why don't the band respond to our complaints?" when fact is that we are pretty much negligible as consumer demographics. Answer is: they prefer not to deal with us. They consider us naive, entitled and negative, and sorry to say it, but we don't really matter to them anyway. We can be safely ignored. 99 % of all income to the band comes from casual fans, not from us. And I AM sorry to say it, because I would very much prefer GN'R to be the kind of band that takes special care of any diehard fans, but obviously they aren't and partly, I think, we have ourselves to blame (and that last sentence will likely trigger some response so as Del said: let the flames begin). 

Agree to an extent. However they and their partners do rely on this part of the fanbase to an extent for their VIP packages, big box sets, big priced items and eventually supporting any new releases outside of the reissues and live material on their social channels down the line.  This is the top of the pyramid and the forum community does factor into the overall health of that market somewhat. It's probably a headache and a half to deal with it where there are serious cost/benefit discussions on an energy level to factor. They do like some aspects of having a community. They've just done things in the past to try and incorporate and nurture a community on their terms in the past (gnronline, Nightrain, etc..)

The issue is that negativity seems to amplify more so than anything positive on the internet these days. The forum Q&A prob scared them for life. Maybe this situation forces them to comeback. Sometimes you just have to address the noise. Even if you find it obnoxious, naive, a pita, etc... it gives the perception that you are at least around from time to time and that you listen (even if you don't). Those are just my personal thoughts. Who knows what else they deal with on a day to day. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Agree to an extent. However they and their partners do rely on this part of the fanbase to an extent for their VIP packages, big box sets, big priced items and eventually supporting any new releases outside of the reissues and live material on their social channels down the line.  This is the top of the pyramid and the forum community does factor into the overall health of that market somewhat. It's probably a headache and a half to deal with it where there are serious cost/benefit discussions on an energy level to factor. They do like some aspects of having a community. They've just done things in the past to try and incorporate and nurture a community on their terms in the past (gnronline, Nightrain, etc..)

The issue is that negativity seems to amplify more so than anything positive on the internet these days. The forum Q&A prob scared them for life. Maybe this situation forces them to comeback. Sometimes you just have to address the noise. Even if you find it obnoxious, naive, a pita, etc... it gives the perception that you are at least around from time to time and that you listen (even if you don't). Those are just my personal thoughts. Who knows what else they deal with on a day to day. 

Oh absolutely. I am NOT saying Team Brazil aren't just as hopeless as us. And they are PAID to do a job. We are just fans, many of us kids. They are working in a professional capacity. But I do understand, as you say, why it is probably a headache and a half to try to deal with us :lol:

That being said, I am not sure they have to rely on us to sell VIP packages, big box sets, etc, not even to an extent. There are enough more casual fans with too much money to do that. How many of the active posters on this forum bought the Locked and Loaded version of the AFD release? I have only heard of two our of likely hundreds or thousands (granted, there might be others who are simply afraid to admit they did because of the ridicule they would get...just consider that for a second: mockery and ridicule for simply buying a product from the band we like. That's how fucked up it has become). Like when I attended the gig in Oslo not long ago, the Golden Circle was filled with casual fans, just guys willing to pay premium for the status and better Instagram opportunities. How many are we, 2-300? We could all die in some spectacular incident and it really wouldn't affect the financials of GN'R at all. There might be more intangible benefits of us, though, which is likely why the management occasionally, with care, engage with us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh absolutely. I am NOT saying Team Brazil aren't just as hopeless as us. And they are PAID to do a job. We are just fans, many of us kids. They are working in a professional capacity. But I do understand, as you say, why it is probably a headache and a half to try to deal with us :lol:

That being said, I am not sure they have to rely on us to sell VIP packages, big box sets, etc, not even to an extent. There are enough more casual fans with too much money to do that. How many of the active posters on this forum bought the Locked and Loaded version of the AFD release? I have only heard of two our of likely hundreds or thousands (granted, there might be others who are simply afraid to admit they did because of the ridicule they would get...just consider that for a second: mockery and ridicule for simply buying a product from the band we like. That's how fucked up it has become). Like when I attended the gig in Oslo not long ago, the Golden Circle was filled with casual fans, just guys willing to pay premium for the status and better Instagram opportunities. How many are we, 2-300? We could all die in some spectacular incident and it really wouldn't affect the financials of GN'R at all. There might be more intangible benefits of us, though, which is likely why the management occasionally, with care, engage with us.

of course you are right on this :) we're not the ones who are the milkcows. not many people here are indeed interested in buying fake LP's, fake flyers and plastic skulls (probably designed primarily for 3-6 year old kids).

51 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, of course, why ever react on someone's posts, when you can just ignore or let it be? 

Have anyone said that they are against the right to post negative posts? Nope.

That's the overall point you seem to be trying to make. 

4 minutes ago, zombux said:

of course you are right on this :) we're not the ones who are the milkcows. not many people here are indeed interested in buying fake LP's, fake flyers and plastic skulls (probably designed primarily for 3-6 year old kids).

And there lies the disconnect. This community should be barometer of that level of fan. If they are looking to grow and nurture fans to this level where they subscribe to Nightrain and participate, then knowing how to relate here is essential to nightrain’s long term success 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, uhm, I don't think anyone has expressed such a desire. It is more about pointing out that people are trolls just hanging out on a forum for band they lost interest in years ago to post negative posts for the shits and giggles, and not arguing for their removal. Like a spade is a spade, you know? Personally, I would hate it if Diesel left, because he is usually quite entertaining in the non-GN'R sections, both funny and knowledgeable and I try to learn better English from him. Here, in the GN'R section, he is more of a broken record that rarely contributes anything but negative noise.

Come think of it, I don't think there is ANYONE on this forum that I think doesn't deserve to be here. And that's a credit to the admins and mods; they have managed to create the best version of mygnrforum that has ever been.

The problem with the fan base (which goes beyond this forum) is all the drama we generate :D No wonder the band shies away from us. Just take the current sad situation with YT takedown. We overreact. And then the mood of the forum takes a turn for the worse (NOT saying it isn't sad, just that we take it a bit too far). Rarely do we in a correlative sense react as well when positive things happens, or if we do it is shortlived, while grudges and disappointed lingers as if it is the default state. We are MUCH more likely to complain than to cheer. Just look at the cold fact: Slashs and Duff is back in the band, a scenario that only existed in the wet dreams of many fans. They played Slither. They played SOYL. Slash recently said the whole band is thinking about releasing new music. And where is the people going apeshit about this? They are here, then they are drowned out in negativity. The noise static cancels the signals. Where are people posting thread after thread of celebration? Hell, GN'R in 2018 are active with Axl, Slash and Duff and consider making new music? Am I the only one who are able to see this in any historic perspective? We tend to harp on the negatives. Again, NOT saying the negatives are negligible or shouldn't be part of our discourse -- they are many and serious enough. Just that things aren't in relation to each other. We complain, complain, complain. And we do tend to take ourselves way too seriously, as in "why don't the band listen more to us? why don't the band respond to our complaints?" when fact is that we are pretty much negligible as consumer demographics. Answer is: they prefer not to deal with us. They consider us naive, entitled and negative, and sorry to say it, but we don't really matter to them anyway. We can be safely ignored. 99 % of all income to the band comes from casual fans, not from us. And I AM sorry to say it, because I would very much prefer GN'R to be the kind of band that takes special care of any diehard fans, but obviously they aren't and partly, I think, we have ourselves to blame (and that last sentence will likely trigger some response so as Del said: let the flames begin). 

You hit so many points not talking about Diesel here either but the rest of your post.

I say it all the time. Why would they do interviews? No matter what they say its turned negative by many.

Axl and Slash have both mentioned talking about or the possibility of new music at some point. Many took that as its Axl's fault there's no new music.

Its mind boggling sometimes.

Just like Slash doing the album and tour with MKC. He started and planned that before GnR stuff and he himself said that during GnR they communicate and worked on stuff. He always planned to finish it. That got turned into Axl must not want to do anything or Slash would be done with MKC.

Years ago Axl came on this forum even and half of the questions he asked fans went ignored. 

It's not to point out or single anyone out but you make some good points.

As fans we do have ourselves to blame we have put up roadblocks of communication.

37 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Considering it is me that is being singled out, may I just point out that I didn't even make a single post in the Slash ''new music'' interview! And I was one of the few people who liked 'Slither' in the Berlin thread!

Dude, you give this place some levity and actually crack me up!

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

If Diesel is a troll, then so are you and I am too and so many others.... :rolleyes:
Are you seriously calling him a broken record? Guess you have not heard yourself! :lol:

You need more mirrors at home, Soulmonster, because you sound like a broken record to me as well.... and I see you trolling at times (like right now) and in general, your opinion is pretty predictable... Like, when I saw the notification that you had quoted me, I already knew what I was going to read :sleeper:

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Rarely do we in a correlative sense react as well when positive things happens, or if we do it is shortlived, while grudges and disappointed lingers as if it is the default state. We are MUCH more likely to complain than to cheer. Just look at the cold fact: Slashs and Duff is back in the band, a scenario that only existed in the wet dreams of many fans. They played Slither. They played SOYL. Slash recently said the whole band is thinking about releasing new music. And where is the people going apeshit about this? They are here, then they are drowned out in negativity. The noise static cancels the signals. Where are people posting thread after thread of celebration? Hell, GN'R in 2018 are active with Axl, Slash and Duff and consider making new music? Am I the only one who are able to see this in any historic perspective? We tend to harp on the negatives.

Most of us are happy that Slash and Duff are back in the band.... but ARE THEY REALLY BACK TO STAY? As far as I remember, the official statement said that they were joining the NITL tour and that's all about it. Nowhere else it's been OFFICIALLY stated that Slash and Duff have returned to the band in full force, which would not only include playing live shows, but also recording new music.

Being positive for the sake of being "positive" -some sort of Yoggie bullshit type- it is not my thing and most Guns N' Roses hardcore fans are fed up with having people taking them for fools, painting them landscapes of rainbows, sunshines and flowers, just to keep everybody away from bringing up the dodgy topics.

The show threads are filled with people who enjoyed every show they attended. Isn't that "positive" content for you? How anyone else who didn't attend a particular show should be posting fake "positive" shit just to make YOU happy?

There's a thread for Slash latest interview.... how many more do you need and why should we be "celebrating" something that it is only words of hope, not an actual plan of making new music? For all I know, Fortus and Dizzy Reed have been singing a similar tune to what Slash said to Eddie Trunk, for almost a decade now, so how is that any different? Just because it is Slash? Come on....

Yes, probably you are the only one who can fool himself into believing that this situation is anything different to the other times when they talked about "we're seriously looking into blah blah blah...." and five years later we are standing still in the same place.

We complain, complain, complain. And we do tend to take ourselves way too seriously, as in "why don't the band listen more to us? why don't the band respond to our complaints?" when fact is that we are pretty much negligible as consumer demographics. Answer is: they prefer not to deal with us. They consider us naive, entitled and negative, and sorry to say it, but we don't really matter to them anyway.

Oh please Beta, STFU!! :facepalm::lol:

I couldn't care less what they consider us to be, if it's those things you are saying, they can fuck off... I also consider them a lot of negative shit and I will keep voicing it just because I can :shrugs:

If we don't really matter to them, then why are you so concerned about the "negativity" around here?  :question:

It makes no sense for you to come scold us about our ways if you are admitting yourself that the band doesn't give a fuck about us. If they don't give a fuck about us and we don't give a fuck about them, why in the heck are you giving a fuck about us? LOL

And I AM sorry to say it, because I would very much prefer GN'R to be the kind of band that takes special care of any diehard fans, but obviously they aren't and partly, I think, we have ourselves to blame (and that last sentence will likely trigger some response so as Del said: let the flames begin). 

Do you seriously consider that any kind of mistreatment is the victim's fault?

If you do then I have nothing else to talk to you because that will paint your whole soul and I don't want to talk to someone who sounds almost like a lap dog, like a slave.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Considering it is me that is being singled out, may I just point out that I didn't even make a single post in the Slash ''new music'' interview! And I was one of the few people who liked 'Slither' in the Berlin thread!

It's understandable that some people question why you are posting here seeing as you do ridicule the band a lot and have mentioned several times that you don't even like the band anymore. Doesn't mean you can't post here and of course people can put you on ignore if it bothers them, but it's a fair question.

There's also nothing wrong with admitting that you are negative. People have accused me of being negative on here, and I wholeheartedly agree. 

• Like 1

There's something therapeutic about complaining that doesn't work with praising and celebrating. GNR has been disappointing fans for decades now. And they treat the hardcore fanbase like shit. So this hardcore fanbase is always suspecting. Slash and Duff are back? Ok but for how long? The band wants to release new music? Ok but have they been saying that for years? See? GNR is unstable, unreliable and has a negative aura they put themselves inside (the "get on board or fuck off" mentality).

Compare it to the NIN fanbase for example. Trent is not active in social media but does interview regularly. He's very open about future projects but uses the exact dose of mistery when talking about what's next. And fans love that. There are albums, EPs, soundtracks, live shows with different setlists to talk about.

I simply can't blame the fans. GNR sees most of them as an enemy, as a cry baby demanding for attention when in reality they just want something very basic. New and exciting stuff.

Reunion was exciting but this is the third year of the same show. "Slither" got the praising it deserved. It's there. But it's buried in the justified negativity of this being the 3 year of a show they are clearly not putting much effort into.

Slash album is cool but what about GNR music? They are together, what stops them to make 3 minutes of new music together?

A box-set/collector item is cool but GNR has so few albums released, this is not exactly what fans want. And not for 1000 bucks.

And there's everything else... pathetic GNAIR thing, Fernando coming here only to sell lythos/promote the boxset, tell people that they got a new song (SOYL). Seriously, you have to be a big cuck to get this crap and even be thankful. Does this opinion lack rationality? Maybe, but unlike SoulMonster, most people have feelings (and not the type of person people avoid in parties).

In short... this negativity is not the fans' fault. Never was and never will be. GNR could become a likeable band in a matter of seconds but they're all a bunch of assholes managed by even bigger assholes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's understandable that some people question why you are posting here seeing as you do ridicule the band a lot and have mentioned several times that you don't even like the band anymore. Doesn't mean you can't post here and of course people can put you on ignore if it bothers them, but it's a fair question.

There's also nothing wrong with admitting that you are negative. People have accused me of being negative on here, and I wholeheartedly agree. 

Why is everybody obsessed with me?

- I rarely criticise Rose's ''Mickey'' voice

- I rarely go into the show threads, so if there is a lot of enthusiastic concert goers having their ardour demolished by negative computer warriors, those negative posters certainly don't include me. The last time I was in a show thread I was praising Guns!

- Just glancing at some of the stuff about the management, I haven't called any of these people personal names (''fuck them'' etc) and even defended Del (slightly). My response has been more analytical than emotive.

- I am positive enough about The Conspirators.

Yet everybody is obsessing with me!

I can pull up loads of examples of people being far more negative than me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why is everybody obsessed with me?

Yet everybody is obsessing with me!

Don't flatter yourself, I'm only joining the topic and giving my two cents.

Same thing with the trolling, I can see why some people might think that. I've seen you in many 'discussions' on here in which you were wrong about a subject, but even when posters would come up with undisputed facts you could still not admit that you were wrong. In a case like that it's always hard to tell if someone is just being stubborn, ''taking the piss'' as you call it, or being a troll. Through written form it's always hard to tell, just like sarcasm... it doesn't always translate well this way.

Listen, I don't give a shit, if anything... for me it's fun to read, but I get why some people might see it that way.