Why did Izzy quit the reunion after flying out for a soundcheck? Hadn't the money already been discussed at that point?

A quote from an article in May:

Former band manager Alan Niven said earlier this year that the reunion had actually come very close to taking place, to the point that Stradlin had flown to a stadium show in the Midwest and completed a soundcheck – but that he “didn’t want to have anything to do with” it after that point. “Obviously, had it gone well and everybody had been happy, and there had been a little bit of brotherhood — I’m sure he would have stayed with it,” Niven commented. “But something must have really upset him, because he left after the soundcheck, and never turned up for another one or an appearance. I would think right now, he's probably a little pissed off."

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/izzy-stradlin-guns-n-roses-statement/

I'm confused on the above.

As we know, it's been widely reported that it was the issue around money which kept Izzy out of the reunion. And Izzy himself did post (and later deleted) on twitter: “Bullshit. They didn't want to split the loot equally. Simple as that. Moving right along.."

So does this mean the money issue didn't truly come to a head until the soundcheck in the Midwest? If so, I have a very hard time believing that. I just don't see Izzy flying all the way out to the show and doing a soundcheck without already having an agreement in place. That would be extremely un-Izzy like, since he's always been very hesitant of commitment where GNR is concerned.

So, as Niven alluded to, did something else (unrelated to money) happen at the last moment during that soundcheck that really pissed him off?... Like did they turn Izzy's amp down or do something else where he felt belittled? Niven obviously doesn't know what specifically happened, but from the way it reads in this article, it appears there was some kind of major incident that had nothing to do with the money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paranoyd androyd said:

A quote from an article in May:

Former band manager Alan Niven said earlier this year that the reunion had actually come very close to taking place, to the point that Stradlin had flown to a stadium show in the Midwest and completed a soundcheck – but that he “didn’t want to have anything to do with” it after that point. “Obviously, had it gone well and everybody had been happy, and there had been a little bit of brotherhood — I’m sure he would have stayed with it,” Niven commented. “But something must have really upset him, because he left after the soundcheck, and never turned up for another one or an appearance. I would think right now, he's probably a little pissed off."

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/izzy-stradlin-guns-n-roses-statement/

I'm confused on the above.

As we know, it's been widely reported that it was the issue around money which kept Izzy out of the reunion. And Izzy himself did post (and later deleted) on twitter: “Bullshit. They didn't want to split the loot equally. Simple as that. Moving right along.."

So does this mean the money issue didn't truly come to a head until the soundcheck in the Midwest? If so, I have a very hard time believing that. I just don't see Izzy flying all the way out to the show and doing a soundcheck without already having an agreement in place. That would be extremely un-Izzy like, since he's always been very hesitant of commitment where GNR is concerned.

So, as Niven alluded to, did something else (unrelated to money) happen at the last moment during that soundcheck that really pissed him off?... Like did they turn Izzy's amp down or do something else where he felt belittled? Niven obviously doesn't know what specifically happened, but from the way it reads in this article, it appears there was some kind of major incident that had nothing to do with the money.

Seems theres conflicting stories on this.

The whole part of a money agreement you mentioned reminds me of when he did some appearances with NuGnR an agreement was reached but he later demanded more from Managment during his appearance. It's been a while so don't remember the exact specifics on it.

I believe they paid him but didn't tell Axl until after as not to upset him or hurt him that Izzy would do that.

Axl didn't find out until after the fact when Izzy was gone.

So if it was true he was at soundcheck and that's a big IF then he may have asked for more just like he did for his small appearance he made with NuGNR..

Also I believe there was a rumor with this possibly from Alan that Steven was getting on his nerves at the soundcheck.

^^^ i thought axl did an interview with Del james where he knew about izzy negotiating to do a few shows during the nugnr tour but axl didnt want to know the $$$$ and not want to be privy to those negotiations incase things may fall through. So axl didnt want to be to involved in those discussions.

Edited by Sydney Fan

It’s weird because the fan reportedly knew who Fortus Lortus and who Izzy are and wasn’t mistaken. She also said Izzy was in a bad mood.

Then Steven goes and says he hasn’t talked to him since 2008. And Alan Niven - I don’t trust his credibility. I’m not saying he’s lying because I don’t know things but he has claimed to know things before that didn’t turn out to be true. Also he loves hearing himself talk.

So whatever it is. It seems to be like two stories put into one. Or even more. Or it is a no-story after all. We don’t know nothing. As usual :lol:

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tori72 said:

It’s weird because the fan reportedly knew who Fortus Lortus and who Izzy are and wasn’t mistaken. She also said Izzy was in a bad mood.

Then Steven goes and says he hasn’t talked to him since 2008. And Alan Niven - I don’t trust his credibility. I’m not saying he’s lying because I don’t know things but he has claimed to know things before that didn’t turn out to be true. Also he loves hearing himself talk.

So whatever it is. It seems to be like two stories put into one. Or even more. Or it is a no-story after all. We don’t know nothing. As usual :lol:

Maybe there was another Izzy lookalike in addition to Fortus? In the Izzy -thread, we've gone through several photos of people who have been mistaken for him  and with some of them- we are still not sure. It seems that there's plenty of Izzies in the world.  

But seriously speaking, if Izzy really was there, at the soundcheck or at the hotel or in Narnia or wherever, why have nobody who was there, (who's not a anonymous fan/passer-by), confirmed it? If it really happened, I get that the Gn'R camp wouldn't want to talk about it, the Izzy-situation being sore subject and all, but you'd think there would be more evidence... 

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Release an album for fucks sake.

That's right guys, release an album so we can have something new to complain about. :lol:

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Haha 1

Someone explained this already. The band & crew get paid a set amount from the tour earnings. Then the Big 3 share the profits however big or small. 

So Izzy would be flying coach with Fortus and Dizzy. Definitely not sharing the profits with the Big 3. 

Izzy thinks GNR is the AFD5 I suppose so another factor might be the line up vibe. 

Edited by wasted

I wonder if AFD5 was something that was on the cards for Coachella only. 

Slash seems to be saying that originally it was just a few shows, although I'm not sure I believe that. 

Maybe that's why Steven was rehearsing before Troubadour before he hurt his back. 

Maybe that's when Izzy couldn't agree terms and said he wasn't involved in the upcoming shows.

That's just a theory though. Realistically, I think Axl needed a guitar player to replace Bumble and a bassist to replace Tommy. Duff was an obvious choice and probably convinced Axl to call Slash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacdaniel said:

Slash seems to be saying that originally it was just a few shows, although I'm not sure I believe that. 

Maybe that's why Steven was rehearsing before Troubadour before he hurt his back. 

Maybe that's when Izzy couldn't agree terms and said he wasn't involved in the upcoming shows.

That's just a theory though. Realistically, I think Axl needed a guitar player to replace Bumble and a bassist to replace Tommy. Duff was an obvious choice and probably convinced Axl to call Slash.

Didn't Axl say something about it originally just being Coachella and "we'll see" and when they were getting along they agreed to the tour and kept adding to it?

That might explain why the band line up was so secretive for so long.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I wonder if that story is even true at this point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Didn't Axl say something about it originally just being Coachella and "we'll see" and when they were getting along they agreed to the tour and kept adding to it?

That might explain why the band line up was so secretive for so long.

Anything is possible with this band. I think the AFD5 reunion may have been discussed for Coachella. 

But I don't think they really trust Izzy / Steven for a long term commitment. 

We'll probably never know for sure. They've all spoken publically since and it's still not clear what actually happened. 

18 hours ago, paranoyd androyd said:

ey issue didn't truly come to a head until the soundcheck in the Midwest? If so, I have a very hard time believing that. I just don't see Izzy flying all the way out to the show and doing a soundcheck without already having an agreement in place. That would be extremely un-Izzy like, since he's always been very hesitant of commitment where GNR is concerned.

Why make it more complicated than it is? Money prevented his long term involvement in the tour. That's why he issued the statement prior to the tour that he won't be part of it. After Axl and Duff's interview about him being flaky, he set the record straight and said it was about money issues. After getting over whatever he needed to get over, he apparently/supposedly (assuming he really was at that tour stop) was willing to at least do a guest spot at one show. He went there, didn't like what was going on and went back home. Easy as that. As for Slash saying they just did Coachella and Mexico, got along and decided to tour. That's bs. As the day of the troubadour show, the tour dates already got released. So the decision to tour was made quite a while before Coachella. And really, it doesn't make much sense anyway to get together only to do Coachella (or do an AFD reunion only for Coachella... a fucking hipster festival that has nothing to do with rock and at the end of the day means nothing).

Edited by PatrickS77

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Three reasons for no Izzy:

1. Team Brazil/Del + other Axl leeches living expenses/retirement fund requirements

2. Slash's divorce settlement + alimony payments to Perla

3. Duff's expanding Yacht collection

The is BS too. The only reason for him not being there is him giving up (voluntarily or forced) the partnership almost 30 years ago and having no real leverage to get paid what he wants to get paid for participating.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1